“A good Sydney hotel in a lively area”

Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney
Ranked #61 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed the New Year's time 2012-13 at Holiday Inn, Potts Point, 4-5 nights altogether.

The hotel is rather new and clean, hotel personnel were v.nice. I did not try the bar or restaurant, since there were plenty of options in neighborhood area, but they did look good. Location of the hotel was excellent, not on CBD (central business district), but with a walking distance practically from anywhere.

Potts Point is a nice and lively area in otherwise perhaps quite peaceful Sydney. There's a number of bars, clubs and restaurants around, but the overall we felt our stay secure there - perhaps I would not recommend this area for a family with children. The restaurant building (the old King's Cross Hotel, the red-brick building across the Coca-Cola -ad) offers meals with v.good value, having a nice terrace on 1st floor.

If possible, please book a room having a window to west i.e. not facing to Darlinghurst Street, since the hotel next to Holiday Inn had a v.noisy club (Goldfish ?) playing music long in to the night - perhaps the rooms on the other side of the building are better for some sleep, during the weekend the nights were quite difficult to us :/

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side, away from Darlinghurst Road and noisy clubs are warmly recommended.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashwin C, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear JuhaMaenpaa,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your review following your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, we really appreciate your feedback regarding our service & cleanliness. We all are looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Potts Point soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the holiday inn. It's definitely not the height of luxury but rooms are clean and if you get a view of the harbour it's beautiful. Staff are friendly and for me the location was great. Close walk to cafes and nice walk to the opera house. I would not though that it is quite close to the nightlife of kings cross so possibly not the best choice for families. I would stay again though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear AusTripPlanner,

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in March 2013. The pluses are that the room was a decent size, very clean, with a nice bathroom, air conditioning, and a fridge, and there is good underground carpark. The hotel is only a 10-15 minute walk from the city, plus Kings Cross train station is right next door. There were a couple of down sides: the smell of the room when I first entered was breathtakingly bad - I really don't know what was causing it, but over my 4 night stay, it either got better, or I grew accustomed to it! It's Kings Cross, so it's to be expected, but the noise from the street at night is pretty loud, especially on a Satuday night. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Kate 496,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Holiday inn Potts Point. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with a few things during your stay. Your comments are very much appreciated as they enable us to assess the standard of our guest experiences. Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Potts Point soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed for one night and had, had a really long day.
There were noisy people in the room next door but the hotel staff were unable to do anything about it.
If you are after a quiet night don't stay as the walls thin and staff wont stop noise makers.
The rooms are clean and there is secure parking.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear 3031694,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Potts point. I am very disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay, Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment this has caused and I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn last week. The Hotel is in the heart of Potts Point and very vibrant area of Sydney. The CBD and Opera House are all a short cab ride away.
The hotel has a nice breakfast buffet liked the Juicer to make your own drinks and decent bar later in the day.
I would recommend getting a room that faces the back of the Hotel as you have views of the Sydney Opera House and the Bridge also I would guess the front rooms might have noise from the streets.
All in all basic but delivers what you would expect for a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ndynamic,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your review following your stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, we really appreciate your feedback regarding our service & quality breakfast. We all are looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Potts Point soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I spend a Friday and Saturday night here at the beginning of Feb 2013. I rate it quite high for value and location. The rooms are decent and good value (for Sydney). The breakfast was very good. It is also very close to Kings Cross station which is handy. Note though that King's Cross is an area with some street people. While it's not as risque as Pigale in Paris, my impression is its safer than a lot of downtown areas in major US cities, say San Francisco for instance. Personally I'd avoid Darlinghurst Rd and that subway entrance with young children, especially at night. Fortunately, there is subway access near the hotel that avoids going down Darlinghurst. I'd readily recommend it to couples looking for a decent value Sydney hotel.

Room Tip: I upgraded to a view room and was happy I did.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashwin C, Manager at Holiday Inn Potts Point - Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear StayedHereB4,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for acknowledging our quality breakfast buffet. I will share your comments with my team team and hope to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Potts Point soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in this hotel, the service was good and the staff were polite, the room was clean and comfortable.
Because I'm a gold IHG member they upgraded us and got a free newspaper every day, we didn't dined in because of the location you have a variety of restaurants near by were you get better value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Salvad0rena,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Potts Point. I was happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Potts Point soon.