“Good hotel in a great location”

Ranked #43 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you are used to the Holiday Inn brand you will immediately feel at home here. Go into the front doors of the hotel, from the old part of Sydney, and you enter a giant atrium - a huge hall from ground floor to the skylights 8 floors up gives a feeling of space and light. The rooms are reasonably sized, with large comfortable beds. Our room looked over to Circular Quay so the view was right for me - ferries coming and going, even an exotic cruise ship. But you don't come to Sydney to sit in your room as the city is built for strolling around and the weather generally facilitates this.
The usual facilities a traveller/guest requires are here. There are plenty of toiletries in the bathroom, which has shower and bath (although the bath seemed to be on the short side for anyone over 6' tall). There is a nice sized fridge in the room and for me the good thing was it wasn't filled with overpriced mini bar items, so there was room to put in your own refreshments. Hotel decision makers must be getting the message that for most people a mini bar is not a priority but a fridge most certainly is in a hot place.
Staff here are friendly, welcoming and professional - which is as it should be. Breakfast is of the familiar hot buffet style with a chef on hand to sort out eggs for you. Tea/coffee is self service but the machine delivers (nearly) boiling water so you can make a decent pot of tea. The breakfast costs 29 A$ but you can get a small discount if you book the night before.
There is a swimming pool on the roof but I've never tried it - much better to catch the ferry to Manley (14.60 A$ return) and show off your swimming costume on the beach.

A small niggle to be aware concerns the shower, which is not thermostatically controlled but adjusted with separate hot and cold taps. This makes it a little difficult to get your personal temperature setting but I'm sure this will eventually be upgraded as the management at IHG always strike me as being progressive.

Overall, this is a hotel of a good standard in a great location at a reasonable price. I have stayed in the more luxurious (pricier) hotels in Sydney, but for me this strikes the right balance and I would recommend you to try it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vic G
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Vic G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your review was very comprehensive, balanced and fair which is much appreciated.

In regards to the hotel water temperatures, these are currently being adjusted in the hotel floor by floor as we are working through our continuous improvement program. We also received your feedback about this matter during your stay which was greatly appreciated.

As you mentioned IHG and our owners are working hard to continue progressing the hotel. We are about to upgrade our entire air conditioning and heating systems in our guest rooms as well as updating the lobby and restaurant furniture. These works will be completed in the coming months.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Family of 6 stayed 1 night here on the eve of leaving on a cruise. Vomit was discovered on the bathroom wall in one of the rooms obviously left from a previous guest. Staff did not care! Even when photo's were shown to them! Paying for the location here. Hotel & rooms tired & cleanliness obviously not a priority. Review removed from their website.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bridget E

Dear Bridget E,

Thank you for your feedback which you have provided. I am very surprised and alarmed to read your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

I can assure you that the hotel team are following up on your feedback and a private message has been sent to you. We would like to contact you so that we can obtain a few more details and to also offer our sincerest apologies.

In relation to your comment about online reviews, the hotel has absolutely no access to any review sites to delete posts including our own, so I am unsure as to how this may have occurred.

We wish to apologise once again and please accept our apologies. We will be in contact with you shortly.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

difficult to know where to start. grimy, diry rooms, mould on bathroom ceiling,furntiure eg tables with gouges big marks on them poor mattress, holes in sheets, marked bed linen, worn ditry chairs in lobby, dated old rooms (feels like a motel rather than hotel). forget the pool it is very very tiny, grimy and looks like a sheep dip( i noticed they photoshopped their photos to the point of fantasy), dated shabby hotel however it is in a good position but even with that best you choose somewhere else

3  Thank baron771

Dear baron771,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you found it to be dreadful.

The hotel is about to roll several updates out of which include updated furniture in our public areas as well as in room systems which will be completed in the coming months. This complements our continuous improvement program which is currently in progress.

Our mattresses have recently been updated with a very reputable brand , I have shared your feedback with my Housekeeping Manager to address with our team and our linen supplier. I wish to apologise for these issues which you encountered. I have also passed on your comments about the mould in your bathroom which was not acceptable.

The pool area has been very busy over the summer period due to the school holidays and has been very popular with our families in house and has been a high traffic area.Our hotel photographs have not been photo shopped to mislead any of our customers.

I thank you for your constructive feedback and wish to apologise that the hotel was not to your liking or up to our usually high standard.

Please accept our apologies once again.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great hotel in the heart of it all here at the Rocks in Sydney. This is the place to stay if you want to be near it all and have a great stay. From the time we checked in and through the stay was great. We were warmly greeted when we got off a long 12 hr flight. Tired we arrived at noon and we were checked in with a great room. We paid more for a larger room for our daughter but was worth it! Ask for room 610, you won't be disappointed. You will have a view of the Harbor and the Opera House…..if there is a ship ported though it will obstruct the view but no way around that. The front desk again was simply amazing. In fact they do everything here. Our agent (should have gotten her name) personally carried our luggage up and helped us checked in. In fact that is how it is here in Australia. Very different from the States.

Common Grounds: very cool. Holiday Inn obviously built in to a prior building as all the rooms face centrally inside with an atrium at the top. The central lounge area was comfortable with a small bar and a business center for computer/printer access.

Our room was spacious (we paid more) with large windows overlooking the harbor. Room was comfortable with a couch, TV, large bed, refrigerator, standard hot water heater and assortment of coffee/tea. No microwave or other kitchen appliances (if traveling with a child/family). We had wifi but was complimentary since we are members. Internet was good with no issues connecting. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was nice and clean with plenty of hot water and pressure. Finally the room was quiet for sleep even though you did hear an occasional siren or ship horn but nothing that prevented us and our 2 year old with having a good night's sleep.
Bathroom also has 110-120 V capacity if coming from the States.

Breakfast that came with our room was excellent! Eggs made to order with expresso maker, breads, cereals and fresh fruit. They even have a juicer which was something I had not seen at a hotel before.

LOCATION: Amazing. Within walking distance to the Harbor and the Opera House along with all of the shops/restaurants. Also, if going on a cruise, you are actually within a few meters of the ship port and can see the different ships coming in and out. Hotel is surrounded by different restaurants so no worries there.

Kid Friendly! No concerns for our daughter and she was comfortable as they had a pack and play for her. A nice touch is they offered a cold glass of milk each night for her.

Only one minor negative is they had no gym but a nice pool outside on the 8th (top floor). With all of the amazing walking/running possibilities in Sydney you will have no issues keeping active. Would stay again!! Highly recommended……

Tip: if a runner you can run through the botanical gardens (opens daily at 7 am).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank globetrotterswannebe
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear globetrotterwanabes,

As a Top Contributor thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We wish to also thank you for your loyalty as an IHG Rewards Club member.

Thank you so much for your very thorough review of our hotel which included so many details of your positive experience with us. I was delighted to read how much your family enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again thank you for the five star review.

Wishing you safe travels in 2014.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family (2 adults 2 teenagers) and I stayed here along with 3 other families for 5 nights late jan 2014, and was disappointed with the size of the double rooms., So we decided to book another room and leave the kids in the 1st one. The reception staff was very unhelpful when we told them we could book on expedia for 2/3 rds the price they wanted to charge. They told us that they could not match the price and they could not tell us what room we would get if we booked immediately. They could only tell us once the booking was done. I got annoyed and put up with the double and they lost out on another $1500. We are also annoyed at only getting 3 towels in the rooms when there is 4 of us staying there. This happened to the other families as well.
I would not stay here again and would definitely look at the Four Seasons down the road.

Room Tip: Rooms are too small for families. East facing rooms have best views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear petelund,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise that your stay was not as enjoyable as I would have hoped for you.

I have looked into your comments further in relation to your room booking. I believe that the Manager on Duty with whom you spoke with agreed to look into your request for an extra room if you were able to provide the pricing details live or quoted in hand so that we could verify in our systems. Expedia have live connectivity with our hotel systems and are prices are in line with each other. I believe that this information was not provided to the manger to verify after you informed them in person. The Manager also informed me that a complimentary upgrade would also be offered to you if there was a discrepancy of any sort and the pricing indeed was not inline.

In relation to our room allocations, the Manager can only allocate a specific room number once a booking has been received in our system and we can verify room types and other booking requests which we are holding such as adjoining rooms and bedding configurations etc. Once we have a booking confirmed in the system we can action this.

I apologise that the housekeeping team did not stock the appropriate number of towels in your room for the number of family members whom you were travelling with. I have shared this feedback with the Housekeeping Manager to address with her team. Once again I apologise for this.

I am sorry that you found our staff unhelpful as these are not the types of comments which we usually receive about our very guest focussed team. As you can see from many other reviews our front office team regularly receive very positive feedback about their service. On this occasion we obviously did not get this right.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback, please accept our apologies once again.

Rob Stewart
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed for 8 nights. Great Location, close to The Rocks, Circular Quay, Museum of Contemporary Art and short walk to Walsh Bay wharves. Breakfast was good, and very good value. Our room had a great view of Harbour Bridge. Rooftop pool has great view, but it's not as big as it looks in the advertising photos, and most afternoons it was full of noisy teens, so we were put off using it.
Bar staff not very service oriented: We asked for 4 coffees at 9.50pm, and were told that the bar would close at 10pm so could not have coffee as they just started cleaning the machine. The sofa was unusable due to collapsed springs. The king size bed needed replacing, it had sunk on one side and I had to put a pillow under it so I could sleep flat.
Double glazed windows helped to reduce outside sound, but none of the windows in room opened. Bathroom was good size and very clean, with shower over bath. Wardrobe was very small. Only one towel provided per person, but more were delivered on request. Choice of hard and soft pillows provided, and extras on request.
BUT, When I asked for a coffee at the bar, at 9.50pm, I was told that the bar would close at 10pm so we could not have coffee as they were cleaning the machine. The sofa was unusable due to collapsed springs. The king size bed needed replacing, it had sunk on one side and I had to put a pillow under it so I could sleep flat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the Harbour Bridge.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Gayemc,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the four star review which you have given us. I wish to apologise for the issues which you encountered during your stay with us. I have addressed the matter in relation to the bar attendant of which whom you mentioned in your review internally.I can assure you that this is not the kind of acceptable customer service which we instil in our hotel team. It simply wasn't good enough and I apologise.

I am glad that you enjoyed the views from the hotel from our roof top, being school holidays the pool has been very busy with families.

I will also follow up with maintenance in regards to bed issue which you also raised. This is very rare as the beds have only recently been replaced in the hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, please accept my apologies.

Rob Stewart
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night in mid January 2014 as we were booked for a cruise the following day.
We had chosen this hotel particularly of it's location as we could walk down to board our cruise easily.
A taxi from the airport costs about AUD$50-60 which we thought was reasonable especially as then you can walk to a lot of destinations from the hotel including the harbor and main shopping district.
Although the room was on the smaller size, it was large enough for the two of us and was clean including the bathroom.
The pool area, although small, offers fantastic views of the bridge and water.
We did not have the breakfast as we were meeting friends for breakfast so cannot make comment on this.
Overall we would stay here again due to the location of it mainly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to get the best views.

Dear Jacinta B,

As a Senior Contributor thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The hotel certainly is the best located to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and takes a lot of stress out of travelling on the morning of departure!

We trust that you enjoyed your cruise and your visit to Sydney.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you once again for your positive review.