Holiday Inn Old Sydney
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$138
$156
Hilton
$211
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$144
$136
  • Room Service
$202
$157
$141
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$123
$111
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$287
$138
$217
$158
Agoda.com
2,612 results
All reviewsrooftop poolrocks areaopera househarbour bridgegreat locationweekend marketcruise shiprocks marketoverseas passenger terminalshort walklobby barclose to circular quaybit datedgeorge streetbuffet breakfastan upgraderestaurants and bars
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night in mid January 2014 as we were booked for a cruise the following day.
We had chosen this hotel particularly of it's location as we could walk down to board our cruise easily.
A taxi from the airport costs about AUD$50-60 which we thought was reasonable especially as then you can walk to a lot of destinations from the hotel including the harbor and main shopping district.
Although the room was on the smaller size, it was large enough for the two of us and was clean including the bathroom.
The pool area, although small, offers fantastic views of the bridge and water.
We did not have the breakfast as we were meeting friends for breakfast so cannot make comment on this.
Overall we would stay here again due to the location of it mainly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to get the best views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Jacinta B,

As a Senior Contributor thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The hotel certainly is the best located to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and takes a lot of stress out of travelling on the morning of departure!

We trust that you enjoyed your cruise and your visit to Sydney.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you once again for your positive review.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The rooms are a little small, but the staff is very friendly and helpful at this historic building in the heart of the Rocks district in Sydney. You can't beat the location. The best feature was that the rooftop (which has a nice pool and a great view) was available for fireworks viewing - within a half mile of both the Opera House and the Harbor Bridge - and a complimentary bottle of bubbly thrown in! Wonderful experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear ktaberle,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us over NYE. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is nice to read that you like so many others who stayed over this period, truly enjoyed your stay with us and acknowledged our team. Our team at the hotel put a lot of work into carefully planning the evening so that as many people as possible could enjoy the spectacle with a bottle of champagne! The fireworks certainly were sensational weren't they.

We trust that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Sydney and had time to see all of the sights.

Wishing you a very positive 2014.

Rob & Team Holiday inn Old Sydney

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Terrific location. You can walk to Sydney Harbour, the ferries to Manly, and the Botanical Gardens. Staff was great. Room was simple but clean. I didn't eat at the hotel, but from the signage I could see that meals were very pricey. There's a great French bakery right across the street. Rates were pricey but everything in Australia is pricey -- get used to it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear jzmcbride,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I trust that you enjoyed your time in Sydney. Our location here certainly makes access to most of Sydney's tourist attractions very accessible.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff which are greatly appreciated.

Wishing you safe travels in 2014.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here on Sat 18th Jan. I was so impressed with the location and the lobby area, however I was very surprised at the very average quality of our room 203. I can't complain about the view, we could see the harbour which was wonderful however the decor is rather tired, and not what I would expect for a $400 a night room. One of the the curtains was falling off the rail and had a very large nasty stain along the bottom, and the bathroom door had paint peeling off it. The Air con was totally inefficient and very old. It was a hot day and we were sweating. We turned it up as high as it would go, no temperature control just a switch from hot to cold. We went away for a few hours and it was only marginally cooler than before. I am pleased to see management has stated that this will be replaced in March this year. Thank goodness.
I must say however that the staff were so nice and the pool area was great with spectacular views of the harbour and our king bed was very comfortable.
All in all we had s good stay but expected a better quality room for the money we paid.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for your constructive feedback in relation to the hotel. I apologise for the issues which you encountered during your stay with us. As you acknowledged, the hotel is about to replace the entire air conditioning and heating system in the hotel during March. We have also started addressing the issues which you raised about your room and have almost completed full maintenance overhauls of our first floor which will continue through the next 12 months. We will also ordered new furniture for the lobby, bar and restaurant which should also arrive in March.

I am glad that you enjoyed the rooftop pool area and that you found our staff to be friendly.

Thank you once again for staying with us and I apologise for the issues which you encountered.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I've read what the management have put to previous reviews we last stayed here 4 years ago and were shocked this time to see a hotel that is in such a prime location looking so shabby inside the carpet by the lift on level4 has thread bare patches I've read the management saying about the new furniture in the lobby area but what about the rooms ours had a bed that rocked like it was on water the bathroom had black mould in grout and blotchy silicon along back of sink none of this is caused by staff not cleaning its all due to a hotel being busy and getting tired
You have lovely help full staff who are a credit to you but people are complaining about thing that your staff can't mend it needs holiday inn to give the rooms an inspection to see how to get them back up to standard

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear uglygourd,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for staying with us once again. I appreciate that you have read several of my response to fellow customers and wish to thank you for your constructive feedback.

The team and I are working very hard to continue improving and updating the hotel with our owners. The hotel is currently embarking on the following projects: 1) Lobby and Restaurant- new furniture, including carpets. 2) Rooms - new state of the art air conditioning system. 3) Rooms- full overhaul of maintenance of guest rooms, this has commenced starting on level 1 guest rooms of the hotel.

This involves striping the room back to bare with a full re-paint, window repairs, curtain repairs, bathroom fitting overhaul, silicon removal and replacement and tile repairs including discolouration caused by previous tile painting. The dark patches which have been mentioned by some customers are brown tiles which originally furnished the bathrooms. Patches of the tiles are appearing through worn white paint which was applied many years ago to brighten the bathrooms.

By completely stripping back the bathrooms we are rectifying this issue. Adding to this, the yellow discolouration to some silicon surfaces is caused due to the bathroom products which we use to sanitise the showers.Carpets to all lifts were replaced last month, with further areas of the hotel which you have mentioned are on our list for replacement.
All mattresses in the hotel were only recently replaced and we often receive positive feedback about the changes which we have made.

Holiday Inn regularly audits our hotel across many metrics and I am pleased to say that the hotel exceeds standard. We have also recently been audited by the AAA and this also delivered an improved rating at 4.5 stars.

I personally audit several rooms per week in the hotel along with my management team.
Thank you once again for your constructive feedback, please be assured that the hotel is working through some of our age and condition issues.

Thank you for the positive comments about our staff who also share my passion for this wonderful Heritage listed building.

Rob Stewart