“Holiday Inn Old Sydney” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Holiday Inn Old Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed at Holiday Inn for 4 nights, August 2013. Excellently positioned for Harbour Bridge (which we could see from our room), the Opera House and The Quay amongst other things. Breakfast was incredible, whatever you wanted was available, well worth adding it to your costs if not included as you won't find better value elsewhere. Views from the top of the hotel are amazing also.

Room Tip: Top floor for the views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine A
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Christine A,

Congratulations on posting your first review on Trip Advisor. We also appreciate that you have also posted a photo from our hotel. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Wishing you safe future travels and we hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Rob & Team Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on holiday celebrating birthday and honeymoon. Asked for front room (522) to get view, does not disappoint. The views from the room and pool are amazing, so are the roof top pool faciities. However on first night (Monday) had really bad noise from street and Bar 100 directly opposite into early hours. George Street is incredibly busy and noisy, with all buses inc. tour bus stopping right outside, plus taxi rank. Complained to reception as glazing in hotel is ancient and does not work, windows rattle and do not shut properly, was told Bar 100 is noisy just on weekends! Second night ok. Third night same problem with Bar 100 but worse with drunks all over pavement. Manager of hotel went over - no change got worse, at 12.30am went to reception to complain, guy on reception unusually rude and disinterested said nothing can be done, couldn't be moved hotel full, and had I got window open? Offered ear plugs which were easily to hand - tells you everything about the known noise problem here doesn't it? Insisted on moving to rear room and manager did this next morning having been made aware of our complaint. Got to 8th floor room to find all 3 windows rattled in wind had to wedge them all with folded up leaflets to get sleep.Amazing. The rooms are not cleaned properly either I had to ask on first day for ours to be cleaned again, mirrors dirty and room dusty all over. The bathrooms are really small and grubby, first room had chipped marble tops and cracks in bath with dirty tiles, and the top of the toilet was greasy and smeared. The hotel I believe is being refurbished and desperately needs it. Other than the guy on reception I complained to on the third night I found all staff very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Would I stay here again? only if guaranteed of quality refurb and proper glazing, Shame.

Room Tip: Frontage room have view but incredibly noisy, ask for rear room, you'r not in them for long and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sharon D,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your experience at our hotel. Congratulations on your recent birthday and honeymoon. Thank you for raising your concerns about several issues during your stay with us. I apologise about the external noise from a neighbouring premises. We are currently working with the local council to find a solution to the issue which you have raised. We are currently working on a robust maintenance program in the hotel and are currently upgrading parts of our guest rooms and public areas. As our building is Heritage listed we are limited as to how we can modify the hotels windows which are protected by law. In commenting on this, we are currently looking at professionally restoring some of these windows which you have raised. I was pleased to read that you found our staff friendly although you did mention some mixed feedback in regards to one of the night staff.

Thank you for visiting Sydney and for choosing to stay with us. I apologise that your stay with us was not as comfortable as it should have been.

Wishing you safe travels.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Love this hotel in the heart of The Rocks The location to be in Sydney!
Near to bars and restaurants
Stunning full size atrium in centre of the hotel
Not the largest rooms but hey you are not here to look at the rooms!
The rooftop pool is amazing - lie back and soak in the views!
Great breakfast but this hotel is about location 5 min stroll to circular quay and less than that to the "coathanger" as it's known locally
I will be back

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HMHIOldSydney, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Paddythediver,

As a Senior Contributor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that you had such a positive stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have stayed here a few times. The hotel is in a great location just under the bridge and with a great view over the harbour to the Opera House and to the ferry terminal from the roof.
Good things for this hotel - breakfast great, especailly if inclusive (recommended) with great choice. Our room was also ok size wise - if a little tired.
The thing that lets it down is internet. The hotel charges for it! And it is not cheap.
Beware - if internet matters for you - and for most people that is the case, then you will have a problem here. They were not prepared to negotiate.
I know IHG will offer free wifi to selected club members - but that is next year (2014). In comparison , wifi is free on the ferries.
For this reason it gets a 3 star rating- free wifi would take it to 4 star.

Room Tip: Get breakfast included in package - great spread. Care - wifi costs you - see if you can get this i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gvs951
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear gvs951,

As a Senior Contributor thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for returning to our hotel once again. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast so much. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the internet and am happy to let you know that as of September 1 the hotel has started offering free internet access to our guests in our lobby area using our business centre computers. This is also in addition to the 15 mins complimentary access which we offer on WIFI devices in our lobby area. From July 1 this year, all of our hotels started offering Platinum and Gold IHG rewards members free internet access in their rooms. Base members are due to have this extended to them on January 1, 2014.

On September 1 the price of 24 hour internet access was also reduced by over 30%.

I apologise that you have stayed in August before these changes were put into place,

Thank you again for your feedback.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We picked the hotel mainly because of its location and also we had a 2 for 1 deal on the accommodation. However having stayed for 3 nights this time we will certainly be back for a return stay or two. Our room and the bathroom were clean, if a little worn looking but as we spent most of our time out and about in Sydney that was of little consequence. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. There was only one small niggle in that on 2 days of our 3 night stay our room wasn't serviced even though we went out for 5 hours at a time and left a "please make up my room" label on the door. We had to phone housekeeping to get the room serviced in the afternoon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear kipperhr,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your loyalty. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments about our front office staff which are greatly appreciated. I have shared your comments with them.

I apologise about the delays which you experienced with your room being serviced by housekeeping. I have discussed the matter with my Housekeeping Manager for reflection. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Wishing you safe future travels and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I had a business trip and brought my wife along. We had a great time as it was close to everything we wanted to see. I am a platinum elite member with IHG so they upgraded me, but the room was still way below an average room. The service was borderline terrible - I felt like I was dealing with a bunch of 15 year old girls who couldn't solve a problem. I asked for a power adapter - they warned me it does not convert power and could ruin my stuff, I told them I understood and I still wanted it - they refused until I raised my voice. The valet parking was slow. The check-in was terribly slow. There was always a wait to speak to front desk. Everything was difficult - even my simple requests at the business center. It is a very expensive hotel, but they get away with it because the location is great. The breakfast was one of the best I've had at a hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin S,

As an IHG Platinum Elite Member thank you for your loyalty and for choosing to stay with us.
I was disappointed to read that you had a very mixed stay with us. Since your stay with us in June, I can assure you that we have made several personnel changes and have increased staffing at our hotel during peak periods. I sincerely apologise if our service was not up to our usual high standard. Certainly from your feedback it clearly wasn't. I was however very pleased to read that your breakfast experience was a positive one and that you enjoyed it.

Please accept my apologies once again and thank you for your feedback.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a standard room, it was clean, smart and comfortable. We booked a triple occupancy room but when we got to our room they forgot the third bed but as soon as we complained at reception they came straight up with the bed and apologized. The pool and hot tub on the roof was great. Would recommend to anyone :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 123MrP123
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear 123MrP123,

Congratulations on posting your first review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and views from the hotel. I apologise about the confusion in relation to your room bedding configuration but was glad that this was quickly resolved for you.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us.