“Prime location!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
“Prime location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, Sat 30 and Sun 31 March. Brilliant location, right in the middle of everything. Managed to do so much , all on foot, really able to get the most out of a short stay. All the staff were exceptionally helpful, even when we couldn't fathom the lighting system! Always helpful and good humoured even at 5.30 on Monday morning when we left. Taxi rank right outside the door. Brilliant swim pool and spa on the roof. My only issue with the place was that Friday and Saturday nights are really noisy, even from three stories up! Suggest that the management do something about the double glazing on the street facing rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid the front until they sort out better noise reduction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pauline W
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Pauline W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and that our staff were 'exceptionally helpful'. I appreciate your feedback in relation to the noise which you have experienced. The hotel is currently working with the local council to find a solution to this issue.

I am glad that you had time to make the most of the sights in Sydney.

Wishing you safe future travels, thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Rob & Team Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed three nights. The rooms especially the bathroom needs a make over. The breakfast was great but the location is OMG! Stubbled into a market on the corner. Right on the harbour and yet not a noisy hotel. The view from the top of the building while the big cruise ships pull out is amazing.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank truckieandthewife
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear truckieandthewife,

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotels location and our buffet breakfast product. I wish to also acknowledge your contructive feedback which is much appreciated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

perth australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

As the name suggests " old" Holiday Inn the Rocks Sydney,This hotel is now quite an old hotel/building, though must be in one of the best locations in Sydney, We have now stayed at this hotel twice both for 6 nights, And have found the staff to be very polite and helpful the rooms clean and beds very comfortable though the bathrooms could do with a bit of a makeover, otherwise a great place to stay and so many of the major attractions on your doorstep, and also having all modes of transport only a few minutes away i wouldnt hesitate in recommending this hotel.also many enjoyable restaurants in the area, So give it a try.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 46aussie
Dear 46aussie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for recommending our hotel to others. I was delighted to read in your review that you stayed with us on two occasions during your vacation. Thank you very much for your loyalty and for your kind words about the location of our hotel and our polite staff. I also wish acknowledge your constructive feedback about the hotel which is much appreciated.

Thank you for the four out of five rating.

Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We jumped off our cruise ship in the pouring rain and walked for 2 minutes and there was our Hotel. We stayed 3 nights after our cruise and they held our bags for 3 weeks while we toured Australia and New Zealand.
Stayed our last night there as well.
Front of hotel is noisy at night. We had a room near the rear the last nights and much quiter. Staff was excellent. We would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Porky113
RSDarwin, Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Porky113,

As a Senior Contributor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your kind words about the hotels location and staff are much appreciated.

We appreciate that you chose to return to our hotel after your tour around Australia and New Zealand, your loyalty is much appreciated.

I was also happy to read that your room upon your return was more comfortable for you.

Wishing you safe future travels.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel has two things going for it. Location and friendly staff, but that's where it ends. Worst of all under bed had not been vacuumed for 6/12 months, (I found out on the day I departed, otherwise I would have demanded my money back and gone to another hotel), which probably means beds are not cleaned for dust mites. Mould on bathroom tiles and basin. Really low shelves in bathroom (one at floor level) and very little space, lighting poor over mirror in bathroom, shower curtain need cleaning, noisy air conditioner in both rooms, extremely difficult to sleep because of outside noise through to early morning (no double glazing), no drawer space in room for clothes, so I had to live out of my suitcase and I was there for six nights. Furniture very tired and marked/scratched and needs to be updated, no coffee table, I had to drag one of the bedside tables around to the one and only chair in room. Bed was too hard for my liking. Room was not vacuumed during my entire stay, sometimes teas and coffee was not replaced Not a place I would recommend.

Room Tip: I had an East room facing across Circular Quay towards Opera House, but would not recommend as noise...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Margaret C
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear MargaretC,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. The lack of attention to detail in your room is ceratinly not of the usual high standard which we present in our hotel.

I would like to take the opportunity to have one our Guest Experience Managers speak with you further in relation to your comments about your stay with us and have sent you a private message.

I wish to apologise once again on behalf of the hotel team.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days prior to catching a cruise from Circular Quay in Sydney, the hotel is a 2 minute walk to the overseas terminal and is situated in The Rocks area, there are many eateries and pubs in the area, all of which are within walking distance of the hotel.
The hotel itself is clean, comfortable and well priced, the breakfasts are very well priced and of good quality, the rooms are roomy and well equipped and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
If catching a cruise from Sydney I would recommend this as the place to stay

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Bernhardstauner
Dear Bernhardstauner,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for our hotel. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our dedicated staff.

I hope you had a chance to try a fresh omlette from our live cooking station at breakfast !

I trust that you enjoyed your cruise prior to your stay with us. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us.

Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Situated right beside Circular Quay, an easy train ride in from the Airport, this hotel was an excellent base for two nights, within easy walking distance of the Bridge, the Opera House and teh Botanic Gardens.

My room was spacious, with king size bed, bath and shower. It was clean and well maintained. Free WiFi was advertised but, for some reason, refused to work in my room. I did manage to connect sitting in the foyer.

The staff were informative and helpful. Breakfast (charged extra at $28) was a well stocked buffet with plenty of choice of fuits, cereals and cooked items, but I think a little expensive. But, apparently, that's Sydney prices...

Room Tip: No WiFi in 106!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Pachydiplax
Dear Pachydiplax,

As a Senior Contributor I wish to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. I was especially pleased to read that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast selection. I wish to apologise for the problems you experienced with your WIFI connection. I will be sharing your feedback with our internet provider to follow up further.

Wishing you safe future travels,