“Location, location, location”

Holiday Inn Old Sydney
Ranked #42 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is pretty average as far as Holiday Inns go, with rooms ok but bathrooms a little tired, but the location and (if you are lucky) the views of the Sydney Harbour bridge make up for those shortcomings. Staff are a mixed bunch - some exceptionally polite and helpful, others quite perfunctory in their dealings - you almost feel as if they have been told what questions to ask but not trained to actually wait for, or listen to, the answers! Having checked the prices I used points rather than money as it's an expensive location, but compared to the other hotels in that location it is reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IMUK
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Dear IMUK,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Old Sydney and for sharing your review as a Top Contributor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotels location and views of the Harbour. I appreciate your honest and constructive feedback about some of your interactions with our staff. I apologise if you left with a mixed impression. We will certainly take this onboard and discuss with the management team as to how we can deliver a more consistent customer experience.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying a night at this hotel recently following a city wedding. The hotel is in an old building, well located in the centre of The Rocks and has quite a bit of character. We had a very restful night - bed was comfortable, we had a choice of pillows (firm/soft), room was quiet and clean and staff very helpful. Our only comment is the rooms are small - being an old building this is understandable and did not impact on our stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lozzdog

Dear lozzdog,

As a Senior Contributor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read the title of your review as well as your positive feedback. Thank you for the five out of five rating. I am pleased that you found our hotel to be so relaxing for you. Your positive comments about the friendliness of the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel and our location in the Rocks is greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Really, the main reason you'd stay here is the location. It's totally perfect and close to the tourist attractions in Sydney. You can see the opera house and bridge from the rooftop pool, which is pretty amazing for the price. This hotel feels hidden away but yet close to everything.

We had some issues with the cleanliness of our room/bathroom (mainly mold), but were not really there long enough for it to bother us or to complain. The rest of the room seemed pretty clean. The rooms were quiet and large for a city.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have better views (obviously). Make sure to ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nickisee

Dear nickisee,

As a Top Contributor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I trust that you enjoyed your visit to Sydney. Your comments about the location of our hotel and the rooftop views are much appreciated. I wish to apologise for the disappointing bathroom cleanliness which you provided us feedback about. This is ceratinly not the kind of high standard which our hotel upholds. I have shared your comments with the hotel Housekeeping Manager to follow up with the team.

Wishing you safe future travels,thank you once again for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Old Sydney.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. Its location to the cruise terminal is great as we could walk the short distance with our luggage . Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times. Our room for three was very spacious ,clean and well appointed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this great location . The views from the rooftop of the harbour bridge and opera house we're quite spectacular. There is a large choice of eating places round about to suit all budgets.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DCH52
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear DCH52,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. I am very happy to read that you were ' thoroughly ' enjoyed your stay with us.

Your review was very comprehensive, thank you for sharing this with others to read.

I see that from your other reviews that you had an opportunity to enjoy many of Sydney's other tourist areas. I trust you had a great time. I also hope that your cruise around the Pacific was enjoyable.

Thank you once again, we hope to welcome you back to Sydney again in the future.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We requested an early check in when we made our reservation as our flight landed in the morning and we were pleased to be able to get into our room at 10.30am. We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is in a great location. The room was fine, there was a self service laundry which was very useful, the free internet access was very limited and only available from the reception area. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but walked round to the Opera kitchen which was pleasant and much cheaper. The pool looks much better in the picture than in reality and it was a bit too windy to use while we were there, however, the view is good!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WPCJF

Dear WPCJF,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was happy to read that we were able to facilitate your early check-in when you arrived at the hotel. I understand what a relief it is when you can go straight to your room after a long flight. It was also positive to read that you enjoyed the hotels location, the self-service laundry facilities and the great views from our hotel.

I trust that you enjoyed your time in Sydney and your subsequent holiday to the Blue Mountains and Tasmania.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a great location Sydney but it was very expensive for a Holiday Inn. My partner and I were lucky enough to use points for our three night stay, otherwise, would not have paid A$350 per night here. We were upgraded to a king size harbour view which during certain months would have been great. Be warned that if you do book a harbour room (especially if your paying the full rate) to make sure it isn't cruise ship season. Our room would have had a great view of the Opera House but every night there was a big cruise ship in the way. Be sure to check the cruise schedule so your not disappointed. Other then that, the room was very satisfactory...the bed was very comfortable and the room was overall good. The pool on the roof is great. The area is great with lots of restaurants and pubs and on the weekends, it's right next to the Rocks Markets. There is a bit of noise on the streets but usually winds down not so late.

Room Tip: Check cruise ship schedule before booking so you're not getting a room with a boat view instead...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smattox114

Dear smattox114,

As a Senior Contributor, I wish to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that overall you were happy and comfortable in your room. I wish to also thank you for your positive feeback about the hotels location and roof top pool area

I apologise that your view was obstructed by one of the visiting cruiseliners, unfortunately this is something out of the hotels control. Hopefully the great view from the hotel pool area which you experienced helped to make up for this.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Wishing you safe future travels.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel from a third party website. I called up directly to the hotel around 7:30pm to check if my booking is on their system. My enquiry was handled by a lady who was speaking to me rudely. I was so looking forward to stay at this hotel but because the first-point-contact was not very welcoming, i'm very disappointed. I hope i will get a better service when i get there...

Not yet stayed.. Just wanna share my booking and enquIry experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Joy J,

Thank you for providing your feedback to the hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for the lack of customer service which you received last night over the phone. I have investigated further and I can confirm that a team member from our Central Reservations centre has spoken to you about your booking. Unfortunately this was not a staff member from our hotel here in Sydney and I wish to apologise for our colleague’s lack of care with your enquiry. I have shared your feedback with the relevant team for follow up.

This is certainly not the high level of service which the team are regularly complimented for at this hotel. I can assure you that the team here will make every effort to ensure that you have a positive experience when you stay at our hotel later in the year.

I apologise once again on behalf of the team.