“Location. Location. Location.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Location. Location. Location.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Really, the main reason you'd stay here is the location. It's totally perfect and close to the tourist attractions in Sydney. You can see the opera house and bridge from the rooftop pool, which is pretty amazing for the price. This hotel feels hidden away but yet close to everything.

We had some issues with the cleanliness of our room/bathroom (mainly mold), but were not really there long enough for it to bother us or to complain. The rest of the room seemed pretty clean. The rooms were quiet and large for a city.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have better views (obviously). Make sure to ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickisee
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear nickisee,

As a Top Contributor, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I trust that you enjoyed your visit to Sydney. Your comments about the location of our hotel and the rooftop views are much appreciated. I wish to apologise for the disappointing bathroom cleanliness which you provided us feedback about. This is ceratinly not the kind of high standard which our hotel upholds. I have shared your comments with the hotel Housekeeping Manager to follow up with the team.

Wishing you safe future travels,thank you once again for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Old Sydney.

Rob & Team Holiday Inn Old Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. Its location to the cruise terminal is great as we could walk the short distance with our luggage . Reception staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times. Our room for three was very spacious ,clean and well appointed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this great location . The views from the rooftop of the harbour bridge and opera house we're quite spectacular. There is a large choice of eating places round about to suit all budgets.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DCH52
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear DCH52,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. I am very happy to read that you were ' thoroughly ' enjoyed your stay with us.

Your review was very comprehensive, thank you for sharing this with others to read.

I see that from your other reviews that you had an opportunity to enjoy many of Sydney's other tourist areas. I trust you had a great time. I also hope that your cruise around the Pacific was enjoyable.

Thank you once again, we hope to welcome you back to Sydney again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We requested an early check in when we made our reservation as our flight landed in the morning and we were pleased to be able to get into our room at 10.30am. We stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is in a great location. The room was fine, there was a self service laundry which was very useful, the free internet access was very limited and only available from the reception area. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but walked round to the Opera kitchen which was pleasant and much cheaper. The pool looks much better in the picture than in reality and it was a bit too windy to use while we were there, however, the view is good!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WPCJF
Dear WPCJF,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was happy to read that we were able to facilitate your early check-in when you arrived at the hotel. I understand what a relief it is when you can go straight to your room after a long flight. It was also positive to read that you enjoyed the hotels location, the self-service laundry facilities and the great views from our hotel.

I trust that you enjoyed your time in Sydney and your subsequent holiday to the Blue Mountains and Tasmania.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a great location Sydney but it was very expensive for a Holiday Inn. My partner and I were lucky enough to use points for our three night stay, otherwise, would not have paid A$350 per night here. We were upgraded to a king size harbour view which during certain months would have been great. Be warned that if you do book a harbour room (especially if your paying the full rate) to make sure it isn't cruise ship season. Our room would have had a great view of the Opera House but every night there was a big cruise ship in the way. Be sure to check the cruise schedule so your not disappointed. Other then that, the room was very satisfactory...the bed was very comfortable and the room was overall good. The pool on the roof is great. The area is great with lots of restaurants and pubs and on the weekends, it's right next to the Rocks Markets. There is a bit of noise on the streets but usually winds down not so late.

Room Tip: Check cruise ship schedule before booking so you're not getting a room with a boat view instead...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smattox114
Dear smattox114,

As a Senior Contributor, I wish to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read that overall you were happy and comfortable in your room. I wish to also thank you for your positive feeback about the hotels location and roof top pool area

I apologise that your view was obstructed by one of the visiting cruiseliners, unfortunately this is something out of the hotels control. Hopefully the great view from the hotel pool area which you experienced helped to make up for this.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Wishing you safe future travels.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel from a third party website. I called up directly to the hotel around 7:30pm to check if my booking is on their system. My enquiry was handled by a lady who was speaking to me rudely. I was so looking forward to stay at this hotel but because the first-point-contact was not very welcoming, i'm very disappointed. I hope i will get a better service when i get there...

Not yet stayed.. Just wanna share my booking and enquIry experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Joy J,

Thank you for providing your feedback to the hotel. Firstly I would like to apologise for the lack of customer service which you received last night over the phone. I have investigated further and I can confirm that a team member from our Central Reservations centre has spoken to you about your booking. Unfortunately this was not a staff member from our hotel here in Sydney and I wish to apologise for our colleague’s lack of care with your enquiry. I have shared your feedback with the relevant team for follow up.

This is certainly not the high level of service which the team are regularly complimented for at this hotel. I can assure you that the team here will make every effort to ensure that you have a positive experience when you stay at our hotel later in the year.

I apologise once again on behalf of the team.

Sydney
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in February. I had stayed in December for a Christmas Party in the city and it was a very bad experience - so much so that the had to complain about my experience.

This was definitely a chalk and cheese eperience! The room was clean and well kept (although small - but it is a heritage listed building) and the bathroom well appointed.

The view was lovely (even with the cruise ship in the foreground) and I could see from Circular Quay right around to the Harbour Bridge.

Staff were polite and attentive and breakfast was quick and easy.

This hotel really delivers on its location - step outside your door and you are in The Rocks, one of the most historic areas in Sydney. Go upstairs to the pool deck and the view is almost unparalleled! If you are there on the weekend, The Rocks Market is a wonder (and not of the trash and treasure kind) and a great place to pick up presents small and large.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lassie1970
Dear Lassie1970,

As a return guest to our hotel I wish to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel once again. I am delighted to read that your most recent experience with us was much more positive than your last one. Thank you for giving our hotel another chance to deliver on our promises.

The team here continue to work very hard on our continuous improvement plan which encompasses everything from our breakfast product through to our customer service.

Thank you once again for your honest review of the hotel and I hope that based off your most recent experience that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Wishing you safe future travels.

UK
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for five nights and mixed experience. The location is good for The Rocks and Circular Quay and views of the harbour bridge and opera house but the location near to very noisey night time bars on George Street is what makes me mark down this great hotel. The other problem in the heavy night time trafic which can be noisey. These two matters are outside the hotels control but if you have a room at the front will impact on your stay. The breakfast buffet is good and varied and the roof top pool and spa hve great views.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank alfielanger
RSDarwin, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear alfielanger,

Firstly I wanted to compliment you on your unique profile name which is the same as a very famous Rugby League player ! As a Top Contributor to the Trip Advisor site, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your positive feedback in relation to the hotels unique location, the roof top views and your breakfast experience.

I also appreciate your comments about the noise from George Street which you raised. The team are working in conjunction with the local council to continue to explore solutions which will deliver some more positive results. Feedback such as yours is helpful to us as it enables us to share this feedback with the council as well.

Thank you once again for your genuine feedback.