“Perfect location for a short stay in Sydney”

Holiday Inn Old Sydney
Ranked #45 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersBronze level
Herts
“Perfect location for a short stay in Sydney”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had also read mixed reviews on this hotel, but as prices are so high in Sydney I thought it would suffice as we were planning on spending the days tramping the streets not sitting in our hotel room. We were very impressed with this hotel. You couldn't wish for a better location to walk around the city. Bridge less than 5 mins, Opera house 5 mins walk.Shops/cafes and restaurants all very close by. Request a top floor room as it can be quite noisy. We were in Room 827 which had a view of the harbour bridge out of 2 windows. The room was spacious with a very comfy bed. A small bath and overhead shower. Tea and coffee making facilities. We didn't eat at the hotel as you are less than a minute to great cafes and restaurants. Yes the bathroom is a little dated and tired [and I've stayed in far worse] but if you want a great location and plan to be out and about then you can't go wrong. Taxi to the airport was $48.
Pool on the roof top a little small but you do get a view of the bridge and the opera house. Brilliant, loved it.

Room Tip: ask for top floor with a view of the bridge or opera house. Book ahead, we got a great deal.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeanetteHerts
TurnerMit, Acting Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear JeanetteHerts

Thanks for the great review! Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and was able to take advantage of the great facilities, service and offering of the Holiday Inn Old Sydney.

Next time be sure to try our breakfast... its a great way to start a busy day in Sydney.

Mitchell Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at Holiday Inn Old Sydney and I like the hotel, but it is really no frills. The rooms are okay, but are not large and don't have large windows. The rooms are functional, but that's about all they are. The staff are friendly, but don't seem to go out of their way to help, and if they do, it seems like an inconvenience. The rooms are reasonably clean, but the room I had didn't have any coffee, although it had lots of tea, and they seemed to go light on the complimentary milks. The breakfast is quite expensive, so didn't purchase. The location is good as it is quite near Sydney Harbour, but that's the best thing about the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mark M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on the hotel. The Holiday Inn Old Sydney team are always aiming to provide great service to our guests. Sorry if they gave you a different impression. I will share your comments with our team to show them how we were perceived.

Holiday Inn is all about Stay You, simple, fresh and ready for you. May not be big on the bells and whistles but if you need them and it helps you Stay You then let us know and we will aim to please.

Kind Regards

Carlsbad, California

nice view from the roof
pool and deck smaller than the pictures on the site shows
but provided awesome photos of harbor and bridge

rooms were clean
bathroom very small though

had on-site laundry
perfect as this was 1/2 way through our trip
and it was only $2 a load

great location
easy to get to circular quay and of course all over the rocks

the rocks has a market on weekends- made it great to be around that
and all the restuarants

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa L
Dear Lisa L

Thanks for the great comments and taking the time to provide your feedback.

See you next time.

Anglesey
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a deal on the internet which included breakfast, this was excellent with a vast choice of food, which set us up nicely for the day. We did note however that breakfast was very expensive to buy, so do try to purchase this beforehand (we booked through Booking.com). The hotel is located close to Sydney Harbour Bridge and within walking distance of Circular Quay (where you can easily catch a train to various locations) and Sydney Opera house, in fact we walked to everywhere in the city. Our room was not big; we had a family room with a double and single bed, but it was perfectly adequate for the amount of time we spent in the room, it was clean and the air conditioning worked well. Our room overlooked the street/pub and it was rather noisy, if you are a light sleeper ask for a room facing another direction. The rooftop pool was small but the hotel was not crowded when we were there so this wasn't a problem, and the view of the Harbour Bridge a bonus, unfortunately there were cruise ships berthed in the quay which spoiled the view towards the Opera House! The hotel staff were friendly and courteous. We had a bar meal at the hotel one evening and it was delicious, the cost was what you would expect to pay in a city centre. There are many different restaurants in the vicinity although we did not use them, we did however have a pizza takeaway from the Italian Restaurant, Caminetto, situated around the corner, which was lovely. One criticism is the cost of the internet connection which we didn't use, however this seems to be consistent throughout Australia, which was disappointing as we like to keep in touch with family and friends. Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear robertsdavis

Thank you for the feedback and comments, our reception team can assist in offering a discounted breakfast for you and those who did not book it with their room. Have a chat to them next time you are here.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have chosen and booked this hotel 6 months before my stay, because I read lots of positive reviews and wanted to test this hotel. I was shocked when I saw the room I had got. First of all, this hotel is a former church, which was transformed in the hotel, so the hotel has very small rooms with the tiny windows. So, I can't understand people who said that the hotel has a wonderful views on the Opera. You can get wonderful views if you are on the roof of the hotel or at least live on the highest floor. According to the best place for a New Year event, it is very debatable. Can you imagine that all guests can be arranged on the roof? I can't, because the roof is very small, but the price for that days began from more than 550 AUD, so I can't unerstand why should to pay such money for a very doubtful pleasure. The hotel is dated and gloomy. As a platinum Priority club member I got a a courtyard room on the 3 floor. After I said that I don't like this room because it looks like a prison, the duty manager Joanne Irvine gave me upgraded room on the same floor with a partial view on the harbour. When I asked whyI wasn't upgraded on arrival she said that the hotel made me double upgrade; from queen on king room (so I can't even imagine what I could get as the initial booking) and after my request - room with more size and better view. I paid for 1 night 223 AUD without breakfast and internet. If Darling Harbour Sydney where I stayed on the New Year days offers complimentary internet for 30 minutes a day, this hotel offers 15 minutes, but the price for internet is about 22 AUD a day. Marriott which is located not far from Holiday inn Old Sydney offers free wifi for their guests.
By the way, I got a greeting letter from the manager of the hotel where I was informed about privileges which I can get as a Platinum member in this chain. This information is posted on the priority club.com and is well known, but in this letter wasn't mentioned which privileges I can get in this hotel. So I didn't understand why to write such senseless letters.
Returning to the rooms amenities, I can say that the sink in my room had cracks. The safe box which was situated in the wardrobe forced me to spend time to understand how to use it. If in the majority hotels you use pin to open and close safe box, this hotel decided to use the model of safe box which can be opened only with the cards. As for me, I tryed to use the hotels keys but it was unsuccessful. The aircondition in the room was also very uncomfortable; then cold, then hot, and it was impossible to turn off it.
In the morning I expected when somebody ftom the staff members appear on the reception, because 3 staff members were in the staff room, discussed something and were not in a hurry. In the day of my departure the hotel had problems with accepting credit cards and I couldn't pay with 2 my credit cards. Staff member wrote my cards number and promised to send me confirmation about transaction. By the end of the day I got sms confirmation from my bank about successful transaction. Confirmation from the hotel I didn't get so far. For me, it characterizes the hotel staff.
My stay in this hotel just don't spoiled all positive impression about my trip in Australia, so I advise to think twice before booking this hotel. For example, at the beginning of my trip I stayed in the other Holiday inn – Darling Harbour Sydney and got very positive impressions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TurnerMit, Acting Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear bunecha

Thank you for your varied comments about the Holiday Inn Old Sydney. While we appreciate all feedback on our sites I must say I am very disappointed to see yours.

I need to correct a few of your comments as I would not like our readers to be mislead on the fact we were a Church. Our hotel being in the heritage listed and lovely area of Sydney used to be a department office building with a livestock yard in the front where our lobby is now. We stand on such great history and hope that our guests take advantage of this experience being on land first settled on in Australia just over 200 years ago.

It was upsetting to see the issues you experienced in terms of the condition of your sink and this is an issue we will aim to rectify. In regards to your other issues I am sorry we did not meet your mark of expectations.

Our events on New Years Eve are very popular as we provide a great exclusive location for our guests away from the regular hustle and bustle that the city becomes over this period.

Thank you for your comments and I will take them on board to the team ensuring we deliver a great hotel our guests love.

Melbourne
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Firstly I’d like to say thank you to those who run the tripadvisor web site, because it helps travellers avoid getting ripped off. We can find out ahead of time about any shortcomings a hotel might have, and travellers can either cope with them or go elsewhere.

After much research my dad and I chose this hotel for our four day visit to Sydney from 3rd to 7th January 2012, largely due to the hotel’s magnificent location in The Rocks. We knew from reading the reviews that there were shortcomings with the Internet here, but as we were on holiday we decided to do without the Internet. The other issue was that we had read that some rooms could be affected by noise from the nearby eateries, so we brought earplugs just in case. It turned out that our room was on the 5th floor and perfectly quiet.

One notable thing about this hotel is that their hotel manager writes a response to nearly all the reviews the hotel receives on the TripAdvisor web site. Few accommodations bother to do this. The fact that HIOS does this shows that they care about their guests’ experience and try where they deem appropriate to remedy shortcomings for future guests. If there is a problem I guess it is best to tell the staff about it straight away so they can fix the problem while you are still at the hotel, e.g. changing rooms because of noise from outside.

My dad and I loved our stay with this hotel. Our room was medium-sized with two queen-sized beds with beautiful soft bed linen and a choice of soft or firm pillows. Bedside lights and three easily accessible power outlets were provided. The air con was quiet enough and the temperature easily adjusted. An iron and ironing board were provided in the wardrobe. Even though we made our own beds each day, these were made up “properly” and fresh, good quality large bath towels were provided daily.

The bathroom was spacious, clean and neat. Relatively little time is spent in a bathroom yet this room seems to matter such a lot! The shower was over the full-length bath. The bath itself seemed to have a non-slip surface and there was a rail on the wall to hold on to. This is very handy and adds to personal safety if you are advanced in years. There was plenty of room on the vanity basin to place our belongings and all the usual toiletries were provided. A note said some additional items were available from Reception if needed.

Breakfast was included in the price of our room, and we enjoyed the huge variety very much. We loved the cook-to-order French toast and pancakes, and found the squeeze-it-yourself orange juice to be delicious. The coffee machine produced strong, freshly-ground coffee. The hotel rooms are placed around a large and spacious atrium and part of the breakfast room opened up to this area.

On the ground level of the atrium there is a bar area (which we never used) and a general seating area with armchairs and free Sydney papers for the taking. Yes, the armchairs showed some signs of wear, but so do my chairs at home. We also visited the rooftop pool area to take in the magnificent views. We didn’t use the pool so can't comment on it other than to say there were plenty of people using it.

An important part of the hotel experience here was the friendly, helpful staff. If it looked like we might have to wait at Reception for more than a few seconds, a staff member acknowledged our presence. I had an unusual request that I wasn’t expecting to have fulfilled, but it was, even though it meant a bit of running around by some staff members. I really appreciated this.

All in all we greatly enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, and will certainly stay there again when we come back for a Sydney holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Slinky2010
TurnerMit, Acting Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Slinky2010

WOW! Thank you. Your review is amazing and a refreshing comfort for myself and my team who work so hard to continue to deliver a great hotel our guests love.

Your review is very fair and the compliments are humbly received. I am truly inspired to continue doing what we do to the best of our ability and strive to do better based on our guest feedback.

2013 will see many changes and improvements at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney and I look forward to meeting you to thank you in person and welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

wise_rita
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Picked Holiday Inn Old Sydney off of TripAdvisor reviews, and didn't regret that decision for a second.

The location can't be beat; it's mere seconds from the side of Circular Quay where the cruise ship docks. That said, when it's in you can't see the Opera House from the roof. Oh well!

I found the air vent in the bathroom to be really LOUD but you could easily drown it out by shutting the bathroom door. Bathroom was a bit dated, but clean and perfectly fine.

Bed was great! All around good, comfortable stay.

This picture is of the view from the roof. Spectacular!

If it's in your budget, definitely stay here.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TurnerMit, Acting Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Old Sydney, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear wise_rita

What a great comment and wise traveller you must be. Such fair and decent feedback for us and the TripAdvisor community. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay and made your decision from reading reviews here.

Thank you for yours and see you again soon.