“Highly Recommend!”

$501.56*
Private Hunter Valley Wine-Tasting Day Tour from Sydney
Ranked #17 of 94 Food & Drink in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: An owner-operated tour business, Glenn offers small-group private Hunter Valley wine tours plus tours to the Blue Mountains,South Coast and Southern Highlands, and Sydney City. Experience popular tourist attractions or get off the beaten track. Tour times and itineraries are flexible. Travel in a luxury Mercedes Viano tour vehicle with comfortable seating for up to seven passengers. A family-friendly service with child seats available upon request.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We're happy with our experience with Glenn of Country Trails. All good reviews about him are right. He is very warm and accommodating. His tour price is also not bad. We're a group of 6 and had a private day tour with him to the Blue Mountains. What's nice about a private tour is that you get to choose where you want to go exactly at your own pace. He helped us arrange our itinerary - Flat Rock, Echo Point, Scenic Rides, Leura Town, Featherdale Wildlife, Sydney Olympic Ferry Terminal. He suggested that we be picked up very early from our hotel at 6:30am as it was a holiday, so we were able to avoid traffic and big crowds being the firsts to breeze through the attractions. Over-all very satisfied with Glenn and his company.

GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Hi. Thanks for your comments. Yes, the advantage of private tours is that you can choose the activities you want to do and set your own pace a bit more. If the sky is looking clear, it's good to get up to the mountains early, especially during peak holiday times (I thought it was your suggestion to leave at 6.30am, but anyway...). I'm glad you all had a good day. All the best. Glenn.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I highly recommend Glenn's Country Trails Private Tours! We found ourselves short on planning, but Glenn was able to do a private tour that fit our schedule. We had 2 wineries that we wanted to visit, and he was able to arrange them as well as 2 others that were wonderful as well. He picked our lunch restaurant which exceeded expectations. We finished the day with a brewery tour as well. Our tour was on a thursday, and we ran into little to no crowd. At the first winery we were the only people there. Great trip!

GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Hello. Thanks for posting a review. I'm glad you enjoyed the Hunter Valley trip. It was a very late private tour booking - but last-minute bookings are still welcome! We like to book in at the wineries in advance, to ensure the wineries are prepared for our groups and that we won't be arriving at a time when they are too busy. For last minute booking we get to the first winery and then book in the rest of the day from there. It's always good to visit the Hunter on weekdays, as it's usually quieter than on weekends. I'm glad you enjoyed the wines and lunch venue, and for beer fans it's nice to finish the day at the micro-brewery. All the best. Glenn.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Glenn of Country Trails took us on a tour of the Blue Mountains on March 17th. We had a terrific time. Glenn was on time, very courteous and very concerned about our comfort. He was a great tour guide and very flexible with the schedule. If you would like to see the Blue Mountains, I can highly recommend using Country Trails.

Hi and thanks for your comments. It's good to hear you enjoyed your day in the Blue Mountains. It was a nice group with some very active seniors. An inspiration! Cheers. Glenn.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent 3 days with Glenn going from Sydney to the Blue Mountains then on to Hunter Valley and back to Sydney. 4 adults and a 10 week old baby. I cannot tell you what a terrific time we had! Glenn was right on with hotel recommendadtions, restaurant options, hiking oportunities, wine tasting spots, and all the best tourist highlights. He was so accomodating and flexible- as you can imagine with a small baby. We had a fabulous time and would highly recommend glenn and this company.

Hello. Thanks for review. I'm glad you enjoyed our three-day trip around the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley. At ten weeks, your baby boy was our youngest ever traveller. Having a child of a similar age, our first also, I was really impressed with your ability to get out adventuring so much! Having the little one with us didn't prevent us from doing the same things we would usually do; it was just a case of not trying to fit too much into a day. It's good to hear you liked the accommodation we suggested. The self-contained cottages work well for families, especially those with young children. This was certainly a group that liked to eat well and enjoy a nice glass of wine. It was a pleasure to take you to some of the best restaurants and wineries in the Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley. Thanks, and good luck for your future family outings. Glenn.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I need to start this by saying that I had no idea what to expect in the Blue Mountains and I am sure that Glenn, our guide, presented us with a fine glimpse of the scenery that was available. That being said, we seemed to fight a lot of crowds all day when we had expected to have a very quiet day in the country. I see that the tour on the website has changed slightly since we booked ours last fall and I think Glenn has learned his lesson about trying to run the same tour every time even when the crowds or perhaps weather interfere. We enjoyed the Flat Rock, Three Sisters and waterfall scenic walks, but Scenic World was overwhelmed the day we were there by many, many tour buses and ongoing construction. That appears to be an optional activity in the tour now and that is a good idea. If there is little waiting time, the gondola ride and forest walk would be great. If the place is overrun--as it was on our visit--head for some other adventures! Lunch was also included in our tour and I now see that it is on your own and that, too, would probably fit more tastes, although our selections were delicious. We would have liked to have had more time to explore the little area where we ate, but because Scenic World took so long, we were hustled off to Featherdale Animal Park. If you are an animal lover and enjoy zoos, this is the place for you, but be aware that it is in the middle of a town, some of the animals are roaming around the park, and it is quite small. The final bit of our tour was to travel by ferry back to Circular Quay and then make our way back to our hotel on our own. It wasn't made clear to us that we were on a specially booked ferry along with all those tourists who had been dogging our steps all day. Glenn did wait with us until we were on the ferry and we did enjoy the ride back along the river and into the harbor. Unfortunately, we were unable to sit with our traveling companions because it was so crowded and the ferry seemed to be late leaving the dock. Further, we had to wait under the Harbor Bridge while a cruise ship docked so our tour--that had begun at 730 am and was to end at 5 pm actually lasted more than 12 hours. If we had this day to do over, we would try Country Trails Hunter Valley tour for a, hopefully, more relaxed day.

GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Hello. Thanks for your comprehensive review, and for your fair and balanced description of your experience. The tour you were on was our shared Blue Mountains tour, which includes some of the most popular places to visit in the mountains. I will try to respond to your comments in more or less the same order you presented them. Scenic World does get busy, especially during the busy season when you visited. Furthermore, the Scenic Railway attraction down into the valley was closed, which meant everyone had to go down and return on the Scenic Cableway. (The Scenic Railway is scheduled to reopen in April 2013 and we have always made clients aware of this period of closure.) We always do our best to avoid crowds, but on this day we, or rather I, didn't manage to do it. I don't always run the exact same itinerary, and do adapt things on the day to best deal with traffic, crowd and weather conditions. For example, I usually wait until we are heading out of the city, when I can better assess the weather over the mountains, before deciding whether to go first to the wildlife park (which is in the western suburbs of Sydney on the way to the mountains) or do it in the afternoon on the way back. I'm sure I would have mentioned the two options on your tour. If the weather is looking good and it appears there is minimal chance of fog (although it can be difficult to tell), we go straight up to the mountains to avoid the crowds. This is what we did on your tour. You mentioned that we first stopped at the Flat Rock viewpoint and did a short walk. I'm glad your enjoyed these stops. The short walk, which takes us into Scenic World, is something we add on the day if the group wants to do it and we are doing well for time. However, this is where, with hindsight, I made a mistake, as by the time we got to Scenic World it was extremely busy, as you accurately described. I thought we would still get to Scenic World before it got busy, but I got it wrong. We also had the misfortune of arriving right behind a large cruise ship group, so we were stuck in the queue for a long time. (Incidentally, I asked a staff member at Scenic World why it was so busy and was told the cruise group was supposed to be split up and arriving at different times through the day - but that clearly didn't happen!). I told our group the reason for the hold-up and I appreciated your patience with the delay. I can fully understand that you would not want to be stuck in a crowd on a trip out to the country and, as I said, I do try to avoid this. Of course, the long queue meant we had to cut some time elsewhere, and we did have to shorten our lunch stop in Leura in order to get to the wildlife park. There usually is time after lunch for a brief wander around the village, and I'm sorry your group missed out on that. I'm glad you enjoyed the lunch itself though. Regarding the time at the wildlife park, we usually allow an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes for the visit. As you say, how much a person enjoys the park will depend on their interest in Australian animals; some people will want more time here than others. The tour ends with the ferry cruise ride back from the western sububs to the harbour and CBD area. This ferry is principally for tour groups returning from the Blue Mountains, so if it's a busy time in the mountains it is likely the ferry will also be quite busy as well. I'm not sure why you couldn't sit with your travel companians, as we were one of the first groups to board the ferry. We are always the first group, or at least one of the first groups, to arrive at the ferry terminal, so you should have had the opportunity to sit together. It's good to hear your enjoyed the cruise anyway. Again, I can understand you not being too pleased about a hold-up at the harbour after experiencing delays earlier in the day, although I'm sure you understand that this was beyond our control. Lastly, you mentioned that our shared tour itinerary has changed since you travelled with us. We have indeed made some changes, which will begin from 01 April 2013. Thank you for your feedback. We have made Scenic World an optional activity instead of including the cost of admisson in the tour price. This is so that clients can choose whether to do the Scenic World attractions or take an extended walk along the cliff edge. We also won't include lunch in the tour price to enable clients to select a lunch option - from the many excellent cafes and restaurants in Leura - which best suits their tastes and budget. Thank you again for your comments. We would be happy to take you on that Hunter Valley tour - and we'll make sure we stay away from any crowds no matter what season it is! Best wishes. Glenn.