“Blue Mountain Tour”

and up
Private Day Trip From Sydney: Blue Mountains In A Day
Ranked #15 of 89 Food & Drink in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: An owner-operated tour business, Glenn offers small-group private Hunter Valley wine tours plus tours to the Blue Mountains,South Coast and Southern Highlands, and Sydney City. Experience popular tourist attractions or get off the beaten track. Tour times and itineraries are flexible. Travel in a luxury Mercedes Viano tour vehicle with comfortable seating for up to seven passengers. A family-friendly service with child seats available upon request.
Haslet, Texas
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Blue Mountain Tour”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I need to start this by saying that I had no idea what to expect in the Blue Mountains and I am sure that Glenn, our guide, presented us with a fine glimpse of the scenery that was available. That being said, we seemed to fight a lot of crowds all day when we had expected to have a very quiet day in the country. I see that the tour on the website has changed slightly since we booked ours last fall and I think Glenn has learned his lesson about trying to run the same tour every time even when the crowds or perhaps weather interfere. We enjoyed the Flat Rock, Three Sisters and waterfall scenic walks, but Scenic World was overwhelmed the day we were there by many, many tour buses and ongoing construction. That appears to be an optional activity in the tour now and that is a good idea. If there is little waiting time, the gondola ride and forest walk would be great. If the place is overrun--as it was on our visit--head for some other adventures! Lunch was also included in our tour and I now see that it is on your own and that, too, would probably fit more tastes, although our selections were delicious. We would have liked to have had more time to explore the little area where we ate, but because Scenic World took so long, we were hustled off to Featherdale Animal Park. If you are an animal lover and enjoy zoos, this is the place for you, but be aware that it is in the middle of a town, some of the animals are roaming around the park, and it is quite small. The final bit of our tour was to travel by ferry back to Circular Quay and then make our way back to our hotel on our own. It wasn't made clear to us that we were on a specially booked ferry along with all those tourists who had been dogging our steps all day. Glenn did wait with us until we were on the ferry and we did enjoy the ride back along the river and into the harbor. Unfortunately, we were unable to sit with our traveling companions because it was so crowded and the ferry seemed to be late leaving the dock. Further, we had to wait under the Harbor Bridge while a cruise ship docked so our tour--that had begun at 730 am and was to end at 5 pm actually lasted more than 12 hours. If we had this day to do over, we would try Country Trails Hunter Valley tour for a, hopefully, more relaxed day.

Visited February 2013
GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hello. Thanks for your comprehensive review, and for your fair and balanced description of your experience. The tour you were on was our shared Blue Mountains tour, which includes some of the most popular places to visit in the mountains. I will try to respond to your comments in more or less the same order you presented them. Scenic World does get busy, especially during the busy season when you visited. Furthermore, the Scenic Railway attraction down into the valley was closed, which meant everyone had to go down and return on the Scenic Cableway. (The Scenic Railway is scheduled to reopen in April 2013 and we have always made clients aware of this period of closure.) We always do our best to avoid crowds, but on this day we, or rather I, didn't manage to do it. I don't always run the exact same itinerary, and do adapt things on the day to best deal with traffic, crowd and weather conditions. For example, I usually wait until we are heading out of the city, when I can better assess the weather over the mountains, before deciding whether to go first to the wildlife park (which is in the western suburbs of Sydney on the way to the mountains) or do it in the afternoon on the way back. I'm sure I would have mentioned the two options on your tour. If the weather is looking good and it appears there is minimal chance of fog (although it can be difficult to tell), we go straight up to the mountains to avoid the crowds. This is what we did on your tour. You mentioned that we first stopped at the Flat Rock viewpoint and did a short walk. I'm glad your enjoyed these stops. The short walk, which takes us into Scenic World, is something we add on the day if the group wants to do it and we are doing well for time. However, this is where, with hindsight, I made a mistake, as by the time we got to Scenic World it was extremely busy, as you accurately described. I thought we would still get to Scenic World before it got busy, but I got it wrong. We also had the misfortune of arriving right behind a large cruise ship group, so we were stuck in the queue for a long time. (Incidentally, I asked a staff member at Scenic World why it was so busy and was told the cruise group was supposed to be split up and arriving at different times through the day - but that clearly didn't happen!). I told our group the reason for the hold-up and I appreciated your patience with the delay. I can fully understand that you would not want to be stuck in a crowd on a trip out to the country and, as I said, I do try to avoid this. Of course, the long queue meant we had to cut some time elsewhere, and we did have to shorten our lunch stop in Leura in order to get to the wildlife park. There usually is time after lunch for a brief wander around the village, and I'm sorry your group missed out on that. I'm glad you enjoyed the lunch itself though. Regarding the time at the wildlife park, we usually allow an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes for the visit. As you say, how much a person enjoys the park will depend on their interest in Australian animals; some people will want more time here than others. The tour ends with the ferry cruise ride back from the western sububs to the harbour and CBD area. This ferry is principally for tour groups returning from the Blue Mountains, so if it's a busy time in the mountains it is likely the ferry will also be quite busy as well. I'm not sure why you couldn't sit with your travel companians, as we were one of the first groups to board the ferry. We are always the first group, or at least one of the first groups, to arrive at the ferry terminal, so you should have had the opportunity to sit together. It's good to hear your enjoyed the cruise anyway. Again, I can understand you not being too pleased about a hold-up at the harbour after experiencing delays earlier in the day, although I'm sure you understand that this was beyond our control. Lastly, you mentioned that our shared tour itinerary has changed since you travelled with us. We have indeed made some changes, which will begin from 01 April 2013. Thank you for your feedback. We have made Scenic World an optional activity instead of including the cost of admisson in the tour price. This is so that clients can choose whether to do the Scenic World attractions or take an extended walk along the cliff edge. We also won't include lunch in the tour price to enable clients to select a lunch option - from the many excellent cafes and restaurants in Leura - which best suits their tastes and budget. Thank you again for your comments. We would be happy to take you on that Hunter Valley tour - and we'll make sure we stay away from any crowds no matter what season it is! Best wishes. Glenn.

Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful day in the Hunter!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I booked Country Trails for our Family group vacationing in Sydney, and in a word, the day we had was ‘BEAUTIFUL’ We jam packed the day full of stunning wineries, cheese, chocolate, and a fantastic Beer Tour. Our driver Glenn kept us on schedule, shared some great info about the region, and helped us entertain our 1-year old with kindness and patience (and some great DVD’s)! Thanks for a great day Glenn, I really appreciate the effort you put in to making this a day to remember for our family!

Visited January 2013
GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Hi. Thank you for posting a review. It's great to hear you all enjoyed the tour. It was quite a full day with a range of eating and drinking activities. The Hunter is certainly more than just wine! The microbrewery makes a nice stop for those with an interest in beer. We are always happy to have family groups with young children. Hunter Valley businesses are very child friendly and I do my best to keep the little kids entertained (albeit with the help of videos, an i-pad, a football, etc.) while the big kids are enjoying the wines and everything else. Cheers. Glenn.
Hong Kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“An enjoyable trip to Hunter Valley”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Attracted by the fame of Hunter Valley and temtation of trying wines from the vinyards, my wife and I were on a one-day tour to Hunter Valley with our three-year-old daughter and her grand parants. Glenn helped us plan a trip that satisfies everyone's wish for different things - beautiful landscapes, morning tea in a tranquil morning, cows and horses from the farm for the kid, and of course wines for everyone. A few days after the trip, we already are thinking of coming back!

Visited January 2013
GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hi. Thank you for your review. It's good to hear the whole family enjoyed the trip to the Hunter Valley - and that you want to go back already! Of course, food and wine is the main attraction in the Hunter, but there are other things to do to keep people of all ages and interests occupied. Thanks, and I hope you are able to return soon. Glenn.
Calgary, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful Day in the Blue Mountains”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I are on our first visit to the Sydney area and booked a day trip on line from Canada.
Glenn treated us to a wonderful tour experience- the personalized service, the sites we visited, the attention to detail and the comfort of the trip were all first class! The river ferry return at the end was a great end to the day as well.

1 Thank Blair W
GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Hello, and thanks for your comments. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the shared tour to the Blue Mountains. We certainly try to make the tour as comfortable and personalized as possible, which is easier to do with small groups, of course. The ferry is a nice way to travel back to the CBD at any time of year and allows visitors to see the city from a different viewpoint. Best wishes, Glenn.
Adelaide, Australia
“Blue Mountains Day Trip”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

After surfing the net we found Country Trails Tours, I contacted Glenn and together we tailored a tour to suit our needs. Glenn was very accommodating in giving us the type of tour we desired and included his local knowledge to enhance our day out.

We visited sites that we may not have gone to if we were with a larger tour group as well as the well known tourist spots. We appreciated his quiet but friendly manner and safe driving in Sydney traffic and the way we could go at our own pace and stop where we wanted. The highlight for us was the Megalong Valley walk and tea rooms where we had an awesome lunch.

Thanks Glenn for a great day out and your professional and welcoming manner.

Wayne and Jan

Visited December 2012
GlennCT01, Owner at Country Trails Private Tours, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello, and thanks for your review. Happy to hear that the itinerary we put together met your requirements. Time allowing, we try to include additional stops or change plans depending on what the group feels like doing. For groups not planning to visit the wildlife park there is extra time for seeing the mountains. The Megalong Valley is a nice area to visit and often a highlight for visitors, as its a bit off the beaten track. Thanks and best wishes, Glenn