“Food, if chosen carefully, can be superb, but service is hit and miss”

The Tall Lemongrass
Ranked #3,125 of 5,841 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Sydney, Australia
“Food, if chosen carefully, can be superb, but service is hit and miss”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We've been going to this restaurant since its earliest days and it continues to be my personal favourite. I can't remember ever having had a bad meal here, but the proviso is that I always choose the dishes and I choose them very carefully. Also we always go early, so usually there is very little waiting. I adore the aubergine slices with prawns, the duck in plum sauce, and the pork with zuchinni. My sons love the Crying Tiger and the seafood fried with basil. The curries too are good. We generally go in a largish group, and so are able to avoid noticing the offhand service that we often encounter. I agree with other reviewers that the Achilles heel of this place, with one or two exceptions, is the service. While it is fine for serving plates to be removed once they are empty, it is not fine to have the dining plates removed when some members of the party are still eating. Some wait staff could do with a little less attitude, too. This could be a truly superb restaurant if the wait staff were properly trained and supervised.

• Visited May 2014

Sydney, Australia
“Have never had the "wow" experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

I have been urged to check this restaurant out over the past 6 months by various people. In that time I have been there about 3-4 times and have mainly been ordering the same things. I found the flavours to be very nice, however; my biggest complain has been that the meat is always chewy and fatty. A few nights ago I decided to order 3 dishes as takeaway that I had never had from there before and each dish had chewy and/or fatty meat. We threw one dish out completely. With so many choices in Crows Nest, all of which are very good, I'm suprised this restaurant has been so popular.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank machaltcrz
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must have changed chef”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had a dinner last night. The food took forever to come out and when it did, it was NOT worth the wait. The flavors were just not there and tasted like something was missing. As for the service, the waitresses would just stand there and talk to each other and not really pay attention to the customers. I was so surprised seeing all these positive reviews and maybe my experience was limited to just that service.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank William N
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

We went there for our anniversary dinner as we both love Thai food. Food was good but the staff just took the whole fun out of the day. No smile, very pushy and attitude in even serving water. Horrible experince. I will not recommend at all.

1 Thank Pawan S
Sydney
“Delicious Food but the Staff.........!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Very interesting and unusuaL Thai food e.g. aubergine stack was superb, duck larb was outstanding. But - the staff, unlike the usual friendly Thai people I'm used to,-were cold, unfriendly and when we asked for a dish with no chilli - brought one with chilli and were extremely ungracious when we sent it back. No apology. The restaurant is pleasantly decorated, not too noisy, parking is easy, but we won't be going back. There are plenty of restaurants in the area where we have been treated with polite friendliness. Is that too much to ask?

• Visited January 2014