“Best dinner we had during a week in Sydney ”
Review of Kantine - CLOSED

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended Kantine by a local recommending the whole Surry Hills area over the more touristy Circular Quay or Darling Harbour (where we did eat as well). Then we were immediately drawn by the menu - nothing outlandish but several things we never saw anywhere else, nice to have food a bit different.

The cheese soufflé starter can get 5 stars all by itself. Slightly crispy on top, fluffy inside, and good strong flavours - nothing like what they used to serve at school - I'd go back just to have one for myself and not steal it from my partner's plate, who loved it just as much. My scallop and yabbie ravioli was also great, felt authentically Australian and the Riesling sauce it comes with is fantastic.

Both had the curried chicken risotto for main as we both like risotto, and haven't seen it with curry flavours before - bit of a fusion dish - this was also good and the wine we chose went very well with it out of a decent selection. All courses were of good sizes without being ridiculous but we were still too full for dessert!

The staff were friendly without being overly attentive, and both staff and restaurant had an independent vibe, rather than a franchise or corporate vibe - like jokily telling us off for not leaving room for dessert. A really lovely evening overall and I'd happily return.

1  Thank David F

Reviewed November 2, 2013

After waiting for sometime to get served and watching new people arrive to be fussed over who were obviously friends of the waiter. I asked at the cash register if I could order and advised it was table service and I said I have been waiting a while. I then received very sarcastic waiter service for the rest of my lunch. The food was average and over priced.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Ok I have been here many times for breakfast and lunch and the service, presentation, taste and cost is good. Decided to try it for dinner but the food was average and the service was average ( May have been a new waiter). Went with two friends and each had a different main but each main had a carrot purée as base. Duck was moist but very fatty something that was off putting. Steak was as requested but carrot purée tasted weird. Other person had the special which was good but carrot purée didn't work. Prices were reasonable but better options in area.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

When we arrived the staff appeared quite friendly however after receiving our drinks I accidently knocked mine over. I was very apologetic but it seemed that my apology was very well accepted and after cleaning up the small mess I was not even asked if I would like another drink. I was willing to pay for it, after all it had been my clumsiness. It was not busy and all I could think of was that they were not happy with me. By the time I gained their attention to ask for another drink my friend had finished hers and we decided to leave, never to return. Unfortunate experience.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Now relocated to Melbourne I still rave of this restaurant... Christian and the friendly team have the right mix of atmosphere, food and service... Excellent food you can eat every day without burning a hole in the pocket... Highly recommend for great food and regular local... Come down to Melbourne and show them how it's done!

1  Thank Melb-Sydney-London