“A local favourite”

Neighborhood: Bondi Beach
Sydney, Australia
“A local favourite”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I live just up the road from this place. It replaced a Bondi institution a few years back - the Thai Flora, which was one of the best Thai restaurants around. Basic, family run, and great food. We ate there every week or some years. The Ricepot originally suffered badly by comparison. It's a much more trendy place than the old Thai, but the food was reasonable at best. I would have given it 3 stars.

However, they seem to have got their act together recently and the food now is very good. We've just come back from a mid-week family dinner and we were all very happy with the meal. How they turn out good quality Thai so quickly from such a small kitchen is beyond me (you can see the guys cooking en route to the rest room).

It's BYO (which, for those who are not local, means you can Bring Your Own booze - there's a bottle shop just up the road where you can get wine and/or beer) and the food is not expensive.

It's a small place and they pack you in so there's not much elbow room and I wouldn't call it intimate. But it's buzzing most nights. We've never booked a table - not really sure if they actually take bookings, so if it's busy, and it does get busy on the weekends, you may have to wait around for a table.

• Visited August 2013

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am now a regular at rice pot, good quality food at a affordable price, byo is an added bonus! Cash only but meals are super quick to come out! Come here at least once a week :)

• Visited July 2013
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“An inexpensive little gem in a hugely expensive town!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Rice Pot was by far one of my favourite restaurants in/near Bondi. On my visit to Sydney and the surrounding area I quickly found out that New South Wales is expensive - HUGELY expensive. So when you find a hidden little gem that isn't charging typical NSW prices, it is something to get excited about! And everyone in the surrounding area seems to know it, because this place was packed!

It's a lovely little Thai restaurant serving some great tasting food, and it's BYO which obviously makes it even better! Far too overexcited about how cheap it was, I found myself with eyes much bigger than my belly and went to town on ordering! But the food is so good it's almost impossible to leave, so I found myself enduring an incredibly uncomfortable walk home afterwards feeling fit to burst. However, even though I seemed to treat the visit like some kind of eating contest that 'Man V's Food' would have been proud of, we still found that the bill came to less than $30 a head! And that is probably the one and only time we experienced such a happy surprise when being handed a bill in Australia!

If you're in the area, make sure you take a visit. The wide noodle Pad Thai was a particular favourite of mine - delicious!

• Visited November 2012
London
“Good buzz, great food, great value”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a hole in the wall in Bondi to balance against all the high end restaurants for rich tourists. This hit the spot - a great soft shell crab and papaya salad, followed by a honey prawn dish off the specials menu. The food is interesting, great value and well presented. The service is efficient and good. Be sure to visit the toilets just to walk past the kitchen and be impressed by how well they work in such a small space.

Visited May 2013
Gold Coast
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our second visit as tourists in Bondi, and it was first on our list to try again. Great food, great prices, service also very good. Meals are a good size, and always fresh. Should be on your itinerary for a Bondi visit.

Visited May 2013