“Deliciousness”

Momofuku Seiobo at The Star
Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Description: Momofuku Seiōbo celebrates the cuisine of the Caribbean through the voice of our team and the bounty of Australian produce. In the main dining area, Executive Chef Paul Carmichael and team serve a tasting menu that changes frequently. Reservations for the main dining area must be made in advance through our online system. Seiōbo also has a 5-seat bar that serves a limited bar menu. Bar seating is first come, first serve. Momofuku Seiōbo has three hats from The Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2019. Momofuku Seiōbo is currently ranked No. 2 restaurant in Australia by Gourmet Traveller Magazine 2019.
Reviewed July 13, 2016

Went when it first opened but found that the degustation, whilst fabulous was just too much food and a lot was wasted. Last night went prior to going to the theatre and it was spectacular. They have a smaller bar menu with little bites. The food was tasty and the presentation was amazing. I could not fault one dish nor the service. I will definitely be going back

Reviewed July 8, 2016

We booked this one with no prior knowledge of what to expect; we wanted to go with the fewest preconceptions possible. And what we did get was different, but fantastic. We booked the tasting menu - 12 courses from what I remember. I matched drinks with each course for just over $100 (and there's a non-alcoholic option) while Ms preferred to order an occasional glass from the exceptional wine list.
The service was attentive, especially once we'd fessed up to our rookie status. We were seated at a bench which surrounded the kitchen, so we could see the cooks in action. Despite being a metre or two away from the action, the kitchen noise was minimal, so we could talk easily. The kitchen staff introduced each course with a detailed explanation of what we were receiving and some background to its origins ... although the multinational staff weren't always easy to understand with the music and other diners' conversation in the background. The matched drinks were also very well introduced and very varied, from sake, to a take on a gin and tonic, apple cider, vermouth and some wines I was more familiar with.
The food didn't fail to live up to the expectations given the price - though I won't go into too much detail as I'm sure the tasting menu varies greatly depending on seasons and availability and the incredible imagination of chef Paul Carmichael (look him up) as he puts his Caribbean twist on Australian ingredients.
Overall, we paid $550 for the two of us - my meat and three veg loving dad would have a fit knowing that, but we felt it was money well spent.

2  Thank C3762EOdavidb
Reviewed July 8, 2016 via mobile

Outstanding service, friendly knowledgeable staff. Head Chef really made the personal connection. 14 course dinner with 9 course beverage pairing. Everything served was exceptional, no doubt! If there was one criticism, after spending $600 AUD.. I didn't feel full! But my partner did, and since it was her b-day, judging by the smile on her face, 4.75 stars.

Reviewed June 28, 2016

Had dinner at the counter last night. The busted roti and the prawn/marron was excellent. Great staff who were friendly and obliging throughout, even explaining some of the kitchen preparation processes not directly related to our meal, when we asked. Chef was present almost throughout and the Carribean-ness of the food was a pleasant surprise to us considering it was the 'lucky japanese peach' that we were eating at. Our best meal in Sydney this time (we also were at Quay, Sepia and Tets). I would strongly recommend a seat at the counter - we asked and they will seat parties of up to 4 at the counter. Great to see the performance before eating the product. We will go again when in town.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed June 25, 2016

Went with a group of ladies and had the Chef's tasting plate which was 14 dishes in total. All beautifully presented and the flavour combinations were amazing. Who woould have thought you could do black pudding with cucumber and make it taste so nice.
The only thing I wasn't rapt about was the drink pairng, none of the drinks really said wow to me. Next time I'll just buy a bottle of wine to share.

Date of visit: June 2016