“Best Meal Ever”

Momofuku Seiobo at The Star
Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Description: Momofuku Seiōbo celebrates the cuisine of the Caribbean through the voice of our team and the bounty of Australian produce. In the main dining area, Executive Chef Paul Carmichael and team serve a tasting menu that changes frequently. Reservations for the main dining area must be made in advance through our online system. Seiōbo also has a 5-seat bar that serves a limited bar menu. Bar seating is first come, first serve. Momofuku Seiōbo has three hats from The Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2019. Momofuku Seiōbo is currently ranked No. 2 restaurant in Australia by Gourmet Traveller Magazine 2019.
Reviewed May 11, 2016

If you have some money and don't mind spending it on really good Auzzie food then I definitely recommend coming here. Check their website for dinning options because on the weekend they only do chef tasting but it's so worth it. The food is a modern take on Aust. cuisine using locally grown Aust. ingredients. Out of this world good!

Date of visit: May 2016
1  Thank haynexplorer

Reviewed May 2, 2016 via mobile

Food was ok - Marron was my favourite and josh liked the chicken - nothing incredible- a biscuit, mash pumpkin, and sorbet were described as 3 dishes and served together - fair dinkum- the drinks pairing for $105 each was a joke, pairing food with bourbon and tonic , gin and chartreuse - cheap ripoff and an insult - a stoned school kid would do better - we could have bought some nice wine for $210 - $300 a head should be called fuku moma

Date of visit: May 2016
3  Thank Chris H
Reviewed April 30, 2016

A few things before I get to the food:
The reservation system - you can only book 20 days out online, not via phone, so when I did that I was only offered a seat at 6-7pm or after 8.30pm (neither were preferable), so I chose the 7pm seating which they inform has a 2.5hour seating time. Yet on the night the restaurant was hardly busy and by 9pm it was over half empty. We well overstayed the 2.5hour mark which means that I could have booked my preferred 7.30pm or 8pm booking which was frustrating. This also meant you can't select the (much coveted) seats at the bar, we sat near the door in the restaurant and couldn't see the kitchen from where we were.

The space was FREEZING. It was a lovely balmy Autumn night in Sydney so we didn't bring jackets. By the fourth course, I was cold, the air con swirling around our ankles. By the sixth I was shivering and by dessert we asked to move to the bar and I had to have a glass of hot water to warm me up. Though the staff were very attentive and apologetic about this (and sadly they can't control this themselves) I can't help but feel it tainted my experience. I have never been that cold in a nice restaurant before - it completely ruined the ambiance, so please take a warm jacket!

The drinks pairing is excellent – you get a good selection of Sake, spirits and wines to complement well. It’s nice to try things you wouldn’t normally have.

The food is a degustation menu- which you receive a printed version of at the end (it would be nice to get this at the start with the paired drinks menu) so you can muse over it all night. Classic degustation, where 5 of the "dishes" were a single morsel of food. Hardly a course. We made the mistake of reading a 2013 "Not Quite Nigella" review of this place, so we were excited for dishes that never eventuated. We were expecting more an Asian feel, but it really wasn't.

There were 4 standout dishes for us:
• A delicious juicy crab mix, in a fruity/nutty pepperberry cracker
• The hand made roti and onion jam that came with the chicken confit salad (which was quite bland except the pan fried jerk skin)
• The exceptional yabby (that they bring to your table when you arrive – alive), these were so fresh and delicious they literally melted in our mouths.
• The carrot three ways, with flavour punches of braised oxtail.

All the other savouries were pretty “meh”, particularly the pork which was a bit dry and served with some very plain black eyed pea mix (the $16 café baked beans I had the next morning where 100% more interesting).

Desserts, again, where pretty underwhelming. One cool thing being a raisin crispbread, which was just a very thin layer of raisin jam spread out into large crispy shards, which was lovely with the savoury flavours of the “conkie”. To give you an idea, when we left – we went straight across to Zumbo, and shared a box of Macaroons and they were more of a highlight.

Yes, we went to Zumbo, mainly because we were still hungry. 15 “courses” across 3+ hours would have totalled about 250gm of food all up, so if you are a big eater – plan your midnight snack before you go.

We did receive 5 star/3 hatted SERVICE, the floor staff were lovely and knowledgeable about each dish and wine pairing, and the chefs all look at each other nervously when people go to the bathroom – we saw them throw away a few things and start again after too long a delay. Management could alleviate this problem though, by adding a second bathroom.

All in all, my review seems quite negative but when you are paying over $300 per head you should expect extremely high standards. This was a special occasion for us, my partner had wanted to go for years, so I am certainly glad we experienced this, overall the food was good and it was a lovely night. But would we go back – no.

Reviewed April 29, 2016

We had a poor start when we were not served our first dish until about 45 minutes after we arrived, despite others being served. This creates unease and irritation. Once the dishes started flowing all was forgiven, if not forgotten.

It's degustation. There's no menu. There were 14 dishes, four (?) were desserts. All were interesting. Some were presented like a picture, some were simple. The combination of flavours were often brilliant, occasionally not what you would expect. Some elements of a dish were powerful, such as the ox tail (tiny but real mouth bombs), the bay broth (stunning in its intensity) and the pork (aged in house and lightly cooked0. More subtle were the whole marron per person with a light buttery sauce, the caviar and ... go try it all fo yourself.

This isn't a quick meal. It's not cheap but not as expensive as Sydney can get. I love the open kitchen and sitting at the bar around it, watching the chefs prepare the dishes.

Wait staff were friendly, forgiving them whatever delayed our start. The chefs announced each meal as they placed it in front of you but there wasn't a lot of talk with them other than that.

A fantastic foodie experience.

1  Thank Brad S
Reviewed April 24, 2016

The restaurant is very casually set up. Strongly recommend counter seats especially if a couple. Food was innovative and there were nice asian touches to the overall menu. Truly enjoyed it and pairing was decent with a mix of sake and wines. But the overall pairing did not really shine or inspire. The food though was fun and inspired.