“Amazing”

Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I didn't know what to expect after reading some of these reviews, but it turned out to be possibly the best dining experience of my life. We went for the lunch menu on a Saturday with the beverage package. There is a great atmosphere, the music is quirky (in a good way) and is as unnexpected as the food. I highly recommend getting the beverage pairings as it matches the food beautifully and the serving sizes are more than enough-anymore and we would have been under the table. I loved that the waiters were really unnoticeable, it gave the feeling of being so organised- you walk in and sit down and everything is brought to you in perfect time. People who are expecting or comparing this place to Quay, Est etc are not going to like it. If you are interested in white tablecloths and pomp then you will no doubt not enjoy momofuku. But if you go in with no expectations and go with the flow, I think it will blow your mind like it did ours. And finally the food- every course that came out I found myself thinking 'this is my new favourite'. Things that I normally wouldn't pick off the menu surprised me and I liked that I wasn't exactly sure what I was eating sometimes-it really lets you focus on the flavour. Even though the servings seem small I was so full by the end and wouldn't have wanted a morsel more. I loved everything about this place and would go back in a heartbeat, and recommend everyone to do the same.

There are newer reviews for Momofuku Seiobo

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Service, atmosphere, alcohol and food were above par. Impeccably clean, interesting courses with the right balance of flavours, matched beautifully with the suggested wines...doesn't take it's self too seriously, yet lives up to the hype. A great way to spend a Saturday lunch.
If I had any anything to comment on that could do with a bit of tweaking, would be the descriptions of the dishes. They are handed to you by the chef, so a little more information/ explanation would be good. We also loved 2 of the wines we had, but because thy are from smaller boutique vineyards in Europe, you can't but them here; so it would be good if momofuku stocked extra, for purchase.
Would definitely go again!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The brain of a meticulous creative genius is on show everywhere in the restaurant. This is true dinner theater. They are doing things with food and the restaurant concept that most have never even considered. We enjoyed the menu + wine tasting and every bite and sip were perfection. Out of 13 dishes I only disliked one and there was nothing wrong with the dish it just didn't suit my palate. Almost every one of the approx. 13 dishes had me licking the bowl. I looked around and other people were doing the exact same thing trying to get out every last bit of goodness. The wine pours were generous but not so generous as to leave you overserved. I left the restaurant feeling very full but not overstuffed. If you happen to have more room in your stomach they are extremely generous and will give you more of anything that you desire at the end of your meal. The wine som/restaurant manager day was so kind, friendly, casual and knowledgeable. As were everyone on staff we came in contact with. They keep your water glass full which I love and is hard to come by in Sydney. The wine was some of the most unique I have ever tasted and every wine paired beautifully with the food. It is a surprisingly comfortable relaxed casual friendly environment that contradicts sharply with the booking system. I am glad we persevered, I know the booking system turns a lot of people off. Understandably so but it is worth it in the end. I cannot wait to go again, it was one of the top dining experience in my life. If you are a meat and two veg kind of person, finicky or controlling about what you like to eat you may not enjoy it. For me it was perfection!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I can live with the fact that you have to book via the internet, no problem. But if you are going to force people to book this way than at least make the system flexible. I logged on 10 days prior to when I wanted to go and tried to make a booking for 3 people. Sorry, but there was no availability. Maybe I was a few minutes too late, so I vowed to login the next day at exactly 10am so I couldn't be beaten to the punch. Guess what, next day at 10am I can't get a booking for 3 at any time in the evening. This was a bit strange. I changed the number of diners to 2 and everything was fine. I changed the number of diners to 4 and everything was fine. I changed the number of diners to 1 and suddenly there was no availability!! So I rang my friend and said that either he had to find a friend or my wife and I would have to go without him (he chose the latter). On the day of the booking I get a call from the restaurant confirming the details, and I mentioned my problems with their inflexible booking system. She said "Oh well it's a bit quiet today so would you like me to add your friend to your booking?" I said that this wasn't possible as he'd already made other plans. Apart from this ridiculous system, yes the food was very good and innovative, but it would have been nice to have dined with my friend as well, who I hadn't seen for a long time.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The title says it best. Taste, texture, and tact. The most original. The most memorable. Simply the most. This meal will be with us forever.