“Strangely satisfying”

Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you've eaten everywhere else, try Momofuku Seiobo. If you can get a booking - challenging! Your next challenge is to find the secret entrance to the dark, loud restaurant space, where you're addressed as "guys". As in, "hi guys" and "hey guys". A few dishes in, you wonder why you're paying heaps for well executed blandness, optionally paired with alcohol or fruit/vegetable juices. A few umami rich protein offerings follow, the marron being the stand out. By this stage, it's all coming together. Mains blend into desert with strongly flavoured goat curd tinged with blackcurrant and mint. The final desert dish is clever. Avant-garde. PS great service from Alex, thanks.

1  Thank Gostan
There are newer reviews for Momofuku Seiobo

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Flew from Victoria to experience Momofuku for the second time. The standards, service and food had dropped dramatically from our first (amazing!!) dining experience just 7 months earlier. Our French waiter was blending bottles of wine in full view of customers!!! 3 hats? My god. We ended our degustation dinner early and paid full price to a non apologetic maitre d who went out of his way to show us that he couldn't have cared less. A terrible, bad experience.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Really, for a 3 hat, 18/20 Good Food Guide rating, I really expected something incredible -- especially considering the $200 per person+. It was formula food. Each tasting plate had a gravy or broth, a puree, some sprinkles, the main thing. Food was overall high quality meats and there were some real star plates. But mostly bland, lacking in texture or surprise. But nicely and precisely presented on some of the most boring china I have seen in a resturant (I'm thinking melamine pastels from the early 60's). Certainly not funky enough for the rock posters and music playing (dated classics). We were VERY disappointed. Good Food Guide should be ashamed. Oh, and the laissez-faire attitude by the staff did nothing to raise my impressions, nor did that bogus reservation system. Save your money, go to a real 3 hat resturant like Marque, or Quay, or the most excellent (and under-rated) Oscillate Wildly. This place is a joke with a few serious highlights.
PS. photos are not permitted. Your table is given away if you are more than 15 minutes late and you are charged the $175 per person anyway. AND there is no signage outside - what were they thinking when this place was planned? Is it a training ground for american chefs cause there sure were alot of them. My dissappoint echos what i now read from others. It is really too bad this was our special treat for our daughter's 18th birthday.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We were anticipating great things when we went to momofuku. We missed the door twice before finding it so knew it would be 'cool'. We were seated straight away and the first course was dished up immediately. The first three courses didn't disappoint however from there the textures were all 'same same' and some of the dishes just didn't work. The meat dish after dessert was a pleasant quirk!

The staff were all pleasant enough however our wine waiter was clearly just reciting his tasting notes and it was also difficult to follow what the serving waiter was saying when presenting the dishes. Shy perhaps?

We paid over $500 for two and only one of us had matching wines (the other had two glasses of wine). That price is in the realm of quay or tetsuya and is nowhere near those standards of food and service.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Starting with the booking process. This is a frustrating experience such that I actually wrote my concerns to The Star. The response was that the on-line process was the preferred method by Momofuku to ensure that favouritism and bias is avoided. I was also advised that the average time taken for the 40 seats to be booked was, on average, less than 30 seconds from the time the on-line reservations open at 10am. Nevertheless we were finally lucky enough to get a reservation. We arrived on time and were seated at the bar seats. This is something I quite enjoy - watching the chefs work; seeing how the plates are constructed. However while they ask if there are any food allergies that need to be considered you are not provided with the degustation menu until the meal has concluded. We opted for the full wine pairing starting the meal with Sake. The order of the wines / cider / sake were random and proportionally very small. The tasting meals ranged from sublime to very average. The highlights were the pork belly bun and the pineapple and meringue. However I did not find the meals to be such a unique culinary experience that I would consider booking again. Deep fried parson's nose is not my idea of culinary excellence nor wagyu beef that is so drowned out by radish that the beef was hard to find. We also found the conclusion of the meal to be somewhat unconventional. After 3 sweets we were served caramelised pork which while yummy was still strange. Savoury - sweet - sweet / savoury. Service however was attentive. The experience I'm glad to have had but it was just that - a one off.