“Interesting but Somewhat Disappointing”
Review of Momofuku Seiobo

Momofuku Seiobo
Ranked #149 of 5,856 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Bowral, Australia
“Interesting but Somewhat Disappointing”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Starting with the booking process. This is a frustrating experience such that I actually wrote my concerns to The Star. The response was that the on-line process was the preferred method by Momofuku to ensure that favouritism and bias is avoided. I was also advised that the average time taken for the 40 seats to be booked was, on average, less than 30 seconds from the time the on-line reservations open at 10am. Nevertheless we were finally lucky enough to get a reservation. We arrived on time and were seated at the bar seats. This is something I quite enjoy - watching the chefs work; seeing how the plates are constructed. However while they ask if there are any food allergies that need to be considered you are not provided with the degustation menu until the meal has concluded. We opted for the full wine pairing starting the meal with Sake. The order of the wines / cider / sake were random and proportionally very small. The tasting meals ranged from sublime to very average. The highlights were the pork belly bun and the pineapple and meringue. However I did not find the meals to be such a unique culinary experience that I would consider booking again. Deep fried parson's nose is not my idea of culinary excellence nor wagyu beef that is so drowned out by radish that the beef was hard to find. We also found the conclusion of the meal to be somewhat unconventional. After 3 sweets we were served caramelised pork which while yummy was still strange. Savoury - sweet - sweet / savoury. Service however was attentive. The experience I'm glad to have had but it was just that - a one off.

• Korean first
Sydney
“Brilliant food and service but lacks any type of vibe and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

After trying repeatedly to get a table at this Sydney hot spot, I was quite disappointed to arrive to an empty restaurant on valentines day. Although it slowly got busier, the music selection matched the awkwardness of too many staff to customers. I remember hearing country and western music, then "enter sandman" by Metallica. Clearly the chefs were enjoying themselves with their iPods controlling the audio.

Aside from that, the food and wine (get the matching wines they are perfect accompanyments) was spectacular. David Chang, who was there and met with our table, is a genious. I'll go back but I won rush back, unlike Rockpool bar and grill the expensiveness doesn't match the feeling that you are dining in something quite lush.

Sydney, Australia
“An epic experience”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I will forget my own name before I forget the meal I was just served. The soundtrack to the meal was epic from Van Halen to Method Man. You will hear the words "cool" and "Hip" all the time but they get defined here. The cool calm kitchen was run like clockwork and the vibe was sensational. The Lamb literally melted in my mouth, the Zucchini flower with egg yoke made my head spin. Having a chef prepare right in front of you and then serve with such articulate descriptions makes you feel so special and privileged to be eating there. My wife blessed me with the lunch of a lifetime, I trust you'll get the same.

• Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Marco and David in the house tonight!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

As soon as we sat down we spotted David Chang cooking. He wasn't barking orders, or running the pass, he was cooking in a well used apron and cap. Later we spotted Marco Pierre White getting a tour of the restaurant. He greeted me with "Good evening Sir" in that unmistakable voice, before sharing stories at the bar with strangers - awesome. Finally, as we finished our dessert, a massive roast pork shoulder came out of the oven. Was this what David was cooking - something special for Marco? It looked and smelled phenomenal... I was jealous as hell. But no... it was our final dish. Straight pulled pork. My partner couldn't help laughing... if this was a deliberate mind f, which I think it was, it was genius.
I loved this place. The little things that niggled me in Ssam are more relaxed here - with more room, comfier seats and music that isn't quite as loud. And posters of Angus (not the steak) is a great touch. I really appreciated the online booking system and got through on second try- I've tried for 3 years to get into 1 Sydney restaurant because I can't book 6 months in advance! 10 days is a good balance and accommodates us last minute travellers. Finally, the wine pairings were sublime. South African wines, red rice sake, and wines that somehow tasted nothing like you'd expect from the label... real finds that were expertly and generously paired.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank JR_Aus
Castel Del Piano, Italy
“This place is hot!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

First of all you can only book on line which is a real challenge, then when you do go its not that simple to find.[Its opposite Zumbo] Plus you sit at a bar and watch the chefs do their work while the other staff ply you with 11 courses of delicious food served with matched wines. The place is packed and the music is loud creating a vibrant atmosphere, one that normally I would not enjoy. However here, it worked, the kitchen theatre, the great food and the excellent service combined to give us a night to remember. A tip - try to go at 8.30pm and be the last to leave. This way you may get to speak to the chef's as we did ending up with a recipe! Dishes we loved were the marron, shortrib[to die for], steamed bun with pork belly - delicious!
Highly reccommended.