“Marco and David in the house tonight!”
Review of Momofuku Seiobo

Momofuku Seiobo
Ranked #170 of 5,854 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: American, Asian, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City West
Melbourne, Australia
“Marco and David in the house tonight!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

As soon as we sat down we spotted David Chang cooking. He wasn't barking orders, or running the pass, he was cooking in a well used apron and cap. Later we spotted Marco Pierre White getting a tour of the restaurant. He greeted me with "Good evening Sir" in that unmistakable voice, before sharing stories at the bar with strangers - awesome. Finally, as we finished our dessert, a massive roast pork shoulder came out of the oven. Was this what David was cooking - something special for Marco? It looked and smelled phenomenal... I was jealous as hell. But no... it was our final dish. Straight pulled pork. My partner couldn't help laughing... if this was a deliberate mind f, which I think it was, it was genius.
I loved this place. The little things that niggled me in Ssam are more relaxed here - with more room, comfier seats and music that isn't quite as loud. And posters of Angus (not the steak) is a great touch. I really appreciated the online booking system and got through on second try- I've tried for 3 years to get into 1 Sydney restaurant because I can't book 6 months in advance! 10 days is a good balance and accommodates us last minute travellers. Finally, the wine pairings were sublime. South African wines, red rice sake, and wines that somehow tasted nothing like you'd expect from the label... real finds that were expertly and generously paired.

3 Thank JR_Aus

• Korean first
Castel Del Piano, Italy
“This place is hot!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

First of all you can only book on line which is a real challenge, then when you do go its not that simple to find.[Its opposite Zumbo] Plus you sit at a bar and watch the chefs do their work while the other staff ply you with 11 courses of delicious food served with matched wines. The place is packed and the music is loud creating a vibrant atmosphere, one that normally I would not enjoy. However here, it worked, the kitchen theatre, the great food and the excellent service combined to give us a night to remember. A tip - try to go at 8.30pm and be the last to leave. This way you may get to speak to the chef's as we did ending up with a recipe! Dishes we loved were the marron, shortrib[to die for], steamed bun with pork belly - delicious!
Highly reccommended.

Sydney, Australia
“More than exceeded the hype”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I don't consider myself a foodie but I do love my food. Many places I've visited are often hyped but do not live up to the expectations. Momofuku certainly had plenty of hype before I arrived. You have to book a certain number of days in advance and even then it was difficult. Such a system does make me reconsider going to the restaurant.

However, as much I hate to admit it, Momofuku was an absolute delight. Its hard to find (across from Zumbo) and the hostess was kind enough to run after us when we were lost wandering on the street. This was already and good start.

The drinks and orders were placed and literally within 10 seconds glasses were ready and poured. Already a good start.

It is difficult always to sum up a culinary delight in words but it was well balanced. Each wine/sake/cider was well matched and each dish had its unique flavour. Portions were generous.

Overall I couldn't recommend this place enough. It is like any other glorious 3 hatted restaurant at its peak and the real key would be to see if it can maintain this pace. I would definitely return and recommend other people go through the painful reservation system to try it

1 Thank PhilHuang
“Why not ... You only live once!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We really enjoyed this creative food experience. The combination of flavours and ingredients were amazing. Took us 3 months to snag a booking, restaurant must take scattered bookings each evening as was not full whilst we dined. We sat at the bar and watched the kitchen at work. For the price you pay and the booking process I expected better personal hygiene (BO) from one chef. Other than this was a great night, dessert was brilliant and the finishing dish I could go back for every night. Highly recommend.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Well deserving of its 3 hat status”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is my 2nd dining experience at Momofuku Seibo. The first time was several weeks after it opened and the most recent was in late Dec 2012. Both experiences were stellar & if anything, our 2nd more recent experience was actually even better.

Snagging a reservation at this restaurant in itself is a challenge. One can only book via internet and precisely 10 days in advance. Reservations get snapped up within the first 5 min of being open so one has to be ready & waiting at 10 am when they open. Maximum numbers taken are 4 persons per reservation so if you intend to go in a bigger group, you will need to be able to secure multiple reservations but there is no guarantee that the tables can be joined or even next to each other. If you can get this far and are not put off - you are in for a treat.

The dining experience is well deserving of the 3 hats that it received in the recent restaurant awards in Sydney. The decor and ambience is casual yet stylish and has the correct buzz and lighting to lend the correct ambience for a long meal. The meals are set and one has no idea of what will be served ( alhtough you are asked about allergies or any items that you do not eat at the start). The dishes are introduced 1 by 1 by the serving staff and sometimes by the chefs at a good pace. The combinations, textures, tastes and look of the dishes please on all counts. Service is attentive, friendly and thoughtful without being overbearing. Despite being a newcomer on the Sydney scene - after tasting the food and experiencing Momofuku, I am a total convert and would recommend this place to anyone for a special ocassion. The food is plentiful without being too much and while one leaves the restaurant full, it is not so much as to feel bloated. Be prepared to spend at least 3 hrs to enjoy the meal - and enjoy!

• Visited December 2012