“Chinese custard tart?”

Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Sydney
“Chinese custard tart?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times - once for sunday lunch - very nice but the space feels odd during the day.

I decided to take some foodie friends from Adelaide as I though they would enjoy the menu on a Saturday night. We went early to avoid the queues but got table fairly quickly. I hate the hot Sydney restaurant - we don't take reservations - you are lucky to be here buzz that is happening here. Its a great space, interesting food and good wine list supporting NSW wine.

Service is sloppy and uninformed. I like the other Mario Trezini restaurants (North Bondi Italian, Ice Berg and even Cafe e Cucina in Melbourne) and want to like this but it just does not work on all levels.

The memorable part of the meal was a warm custard tart. What arrived was a 'Yum Cha" style custard tart ($12) - my guests had a good laugh.

They have tried to do something stylish here and it has a Melbourne feel about it - not sure it will work in Summer as it very enclosed. I live in Darling Point so I want to like it as its local but they need to refine their offering otherwise it wont last.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank sydneycarey

Sydney, Australia
“Big Kebab Shop, service not important to staff!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

The warehouse conversion is impressive and in a great part of town. The meal was substandard, burnt bread, dry, stringy duck, burnt kebabs and for the type of food not the taste sensation we were all looking forward to. The zucchini flowers was the pick of the night.
The service was very sad to say the least! Great looking staff in their uniforms, but really didn't have the basics right, like pouring water into an expensive glass of wine! Won't be going back and would warn anyone not to waste their money!
The staff stuff ups were a comedy of errors that you could only laugh about in the end as it was so bad.

• Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Great atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been here twice - once for dinner and once for desert & cocktails. Both experiences were great overall and I'd definitely go back. The interior design is stunning and it creates a great atmosphere. The bar & dining areas are separate and cosy, yet still provide the lovely sense of space and connection to the origins of the building. When I went for dinner, we sat in the front bar area for over an hour and not once were we asked if we wanted a table, even though there were plenty available. Whilst we were served quickly for the first drink, they seemed to forget about us after that and didn't even look at us, so we had to wave someone down. The service was good after we moved to a table, very helpful and professional. The food was delicious, although quite salty and oily, and the bread was a bit burnt. The price was reasonable. The service was much better the second time I went, where we sat in the bar area to the right and had a very attentive waiter. We had cocktails and an incredibly delicious chocolate & caramel cake - yum!!! The cocktails from the menu were good, but the classic cocktails we ordered were either not available or terrible.

• Visited November 2012
“Contrived and arrogant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

No problem getting a table despite their not accepting reservations. The atmosphere was very contrived in its endeavour to reduce the vast space into sections and create character which essentially fails. The staff were robotic and had a touch of the arrogance we had experienced previously at Icebergs which I understand is from the same stable of eateries. The snapper was burnt but fine once the skin was removed; the accompaniments were disappointing and sparse. I feel that we have “been there and done that” and can see no draw card for a return visit other than easy parking in this rather desolate spot!

• Visited August 2012
“Great Atmosphere and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

love this place. The staff are very knowledgeable and super friendly and the food was delicious. I highly recommend the hummus and whole snapper with chermoula. I love the design of the restaurant (the ceiling is a great conversation starter)

• Visited August 2012