“Great meal”

Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
County Durham, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great little restaurant in a beautiful old terrace house. We had a mix meat platter for 3 which we all enjoyed. The food was excellent service was slow considering the restaurant was empty.

• Visited October 2012

“Downhill”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The first time I visited Boca I thought it was the closest thing to an Argentinian Grill I had seen outside of South America. For that alone my first TripAdvisor review was very favorable. I have come back about four times since then and finally I felt it was time to write an updated review..
I feel disappointed. This is a place with a winning proposition that either rested on their laurels or simply have lost their edge.
The service was kind but lazy and not efficient, making us wait a long time, bringing the wrong stuff to the table, messing up the order. I do not need to feel treated like a prince, but I do want to feel like the staff cares.
You would not mind if this was a cheap and cheerful type of place - but we are talking top bucks here for overpriced meals. To start we had a platter of cured meats to share. It came to a hefty $27, bread not included. The meat selection was of the cheap kind, without any trace of the best stuff like parma style jamon, etc.
For main we ordered one of the specials - the slowly cooked suckling pig ($48 a portion). Now, I am from a place where suckling pig is one of our traditional dishes, and I can tell you that this one was underwhelming and far too dry and non succulent for being a slowly cooked meat. Completely overpriced.
The best thing of the meal was the Malbec, but Boca cannot take credit for it. They can however take credit for charging it like the rest of the menu.

Big piece of advise to Boca's management: take a step back and rethink. Time to change back to the start.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank youngprofessionalUK
Sydney, Australia
“Cramped and small tables”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Went with husband and another couple. Couldn't fit us in so we waited 20 minutes. I'm not a smoker so sitting just inside with a smoking table just out a window was painful. Ordered the meat tray. We could hardly fit 2 share platters on the table and 2 of us couldn't move our chairs. Potatoes came at end of meal. Food wasn't terrible and our friends who we came with love it here but it wasn't for us and we wouldn't go back any time soon.

• Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Could very easily be so much better”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A wonderful atmosphere in a fantastic old terracehouse that makes you feel you are in Buenos Aires. But our food was cold, the service ilaughable, in that they could not remember or deliver simple orders (and they took notes!). Could be so much better, particularly as the food has flashes of brilliance and all they need to do is to sort out simple basic things like delivering hot food and employing competent wait staff. They should be ashamed of the experience they served up to us.

1 Thank SydneySydney66
Sydney, Australia
“Hidden treasures on this menu (its not ALL about the meat).”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Boca looks great from the street and proudly advertises lots of bbq style meat dishes. Not being in the mood for a meat extravaganza I scoured the menu for alternatives to the house specialities and to my surprise I put together a great selection with variety, flavour and, in my opinion, excellence. The smoked trout was amazing. Beautifully cooked and well presented, it did not feel like a poor cousin to the steak platters which are the faves here. We also tried the eggplant stack, a salad and (of course) the lamb platter for one. All of which were brilliant, the lamb was perfectly cooked and the coriander seasoning was just right.
For desert we went with the traditional Argentine pumpkin dish and the quince tart. The pumpkin creation was a triumph. I'm definitely going back. Value for money was pretty good by Sydney standards. If you're hungry you won't be disappointed especially if you feel like sharing a meat platter. We observed the meat platter for three being consumed on a nearby table and it looked like a feast.
Thumbs up for Boca!