“Good taste of Sydney Harbour”

James Craig Tall Ship
Book In Advance
More Info
$93.27*
and up
Sydney’s Tall Ship Sailing Adventure on James...
Ranked #15 of 551 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Barque James Craig is rightly famous around the world. She is Sydney’s only 19th Century square rigger (or Tall Ship) and her incredible restoration to full sailing condition was recognised in 2003 by the World Ship Trust’s award of their prestigious Maritime Medal. Her restoration cost almost $A30 million and took nearly 40 years to complete after she was rescued from Recherche Bay in far southern Tasmania. This beautiful ship regularly goes to sea with up to 80 passengers and is open for public inspection at her berth at Wharf 7, 58 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont. She is also available for charter and for functions. Tall Ship James Craig is looked after by Sydney Heritage Fleet, a community-based non-profit organisation, with the following mission: To build and maintain an internationally recognised centre of excellence in maritime heritage for the benefit of all Australians by presenting through research, acquisition, conservation, restoration, education and operation, our continuing maritime history. The Fleet is funded through donations, membership subscriptions and income from vessel charters and tours. The Fleet’s 1200 strong membership and 450 dedicated volunteer workers restore, operate and maintain the fleet of vintage vessels. In the process they preserve traditional technical methods and skills.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Slow moving, didn't get very far, because not much wind?? It had a nice atmosphere and the finger food wasn't too bad

All reviews
"boxing day"
"half day cruise"
"sea shanties"
in 2 reviews
"great view of the fireworks"
"sea sick tablets"
in 2 reviews
"morning and afternoon tea"
"high seas"
"front row seats"
"friendly crew"
"opera house"
in 13 reviews
"once in a lifetime"
"wealth of information"

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was given 2 tickets for a day sailing on the James Craig as a birthday present, so I took hubby along. It took 6 months for me to get around to using it, but it was so worth it. We were all given a rundown of what to do and NOT do and were offered sea sick tablets, which were such a good idea. Sunscreen pump bottles were placed around the deck for passengers to help themselves, a great idea. We enjoyed morning tea of cakes, muffins and fruit, along with tea/coffee. Beautiful weather for the day just made it picture perfect.
We were given lunch in a bag containing rolls, muffin, drink and chocolate bar.
We sailed around the harbour, through the heads, stopped, then came back to Kings Wharf.
Just a wonderful, relaxing day in the world's most beautiful harbour. What more could you want?

3  Thank Moschi1
Reviewed May 17, 2014

of all the vessels you can go on, on sydney harbour this would have to be the best. True aussie history, a superb tall ship, great staff and food and we went out of the heads and whales came along side the tall ship - a stunning day and a tribute to all the volunteers and years it took to restore the James Craig to its former glory.

1  Thank MustangNSW
Reviewed May 4, 2014

The food is fantastic and was served by friendly staff. Prawns large and succulent.
I went with a business group in my last week in Sydney.
Great adventure and a lovely way to start 2014. Highly recommend

1  Thank Flora S
See more reviews
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I know that the decision regarding which cruise to take during the NYE celebrations in Sydney is a tough one. I researched for a little more than a month before my husband and I decided to celebrate NYE last year on the James Craig.

To assist future potential customers, I want to share as much about our experience as possible.

ARRIVAL: It is not necessary to arrive well in advance. If you come at the time they state, or even a little after, it is okay. The ship does depart on time, but because the number of people boarding is not so high, the boarding process is easy. You just check in and they give each guest a boarding card (more like paper) and then everyone boards when they open the ship. We probably arrived 15-30 minutes before the arrival time they advised and we were easily waiting for about an hour before we boarded the ship. We were worried that there would be too much foot traffic getting there (we stayed about 2 kms away from the docking point), but it wasn’t bad at all. The city is quite well organized.

ATMOSPHERE: It is a very calm setting (not a wild party type). Most people on the ship are not in their 20s. It generally caters to a bit of a more “mature” crowd, which we were pleased about. It was a fun night and we didn’t experience any wild, drunken guest issues. For those with kids, we did see a few children around, but none too young. I believe that the handful that we saw were about 8-15.

BAND: The band was wonderful and catered to various genres and decades. They played most of the night, with just a few breaks here and there. During breaks, they played music from CDs to keep the atmosphere alive.

DRESS: Attendees dress in a very wide range. There are those who come extremely formal, but this was mainly women (long evening gowns) and those who come more relaxed, business casual (short dress or skirt and blouse for women and khakis or jeans with a buttoned shirt for men). It really depends on you and your party.

FOOD: Lots of it! They start off with a variety of appetizers to hold you over until dinner. Dinner is served below deck and is a large buffet with plenty of options. About an hour or so before midnight, they serve dessert (little cakes and small ice cream cones) and coffee. The cakes were wonderful and I was too full from them to try one of the ice cream cones, but my husband and our friend said they were also nice. They also serve sandwiches after the midnight fireworks. You won’t go hungry.

DRINKS: They have a variety of drinks, including champagne and beer (only Heineken). The bar area is above deck and open all night. I don’t drink champagne or beer, so I brought a little bottle of vodka in my backpack and poured it into my juice.

WEATHER: If you are concerned about being on a maritime ship with rain, it shouldn't be a big problem. There is plenty of room below deck to house everyone on the ship. However, if it is raining during the fireworks, then you will get wet as there is nothing to cover you above deck. We brought a couple rain jackets in our bag just in case, which we left under a bench most of the night. People bring bags and leave them around the ship (in the rooms below deck and above deck under the side benches). They aren’t necessarily secure in that anyone can take it, but nobody seemed to have a problem leaving them unattended. I think as long as you don’t have valuables inside, then it isn’t a big deal.

ANCHORING POSITION: The ship is one of 10-15 ships allowed to anchor between the Opera House and the bridge. You will have the view of the bridge to your left and the Opera House to your right. The other ships in the parade of lights go somewhere else on the other side of the Opera House, but I am not sure where. I was just a tad disappointed during the firework display because there was a large three level boat just in front of ours. Though it stayed mostly to our front-right, it would move in front of us at times, blocking the lower portion view of the bridge (this happened towards the end of the firework show). Keep in mind that it was about 50-70 meters in front of us, so it didn’t obstruct it too much, but it was still a little annoying. However, it is definitely a nice anchoring position considering the event and where all the other boats have to go.

We truly enjoyed our time and it was an unforgettable NYE. This is the second time that my husband has been to Sydney for NYE and it was his idea to go on the ship because he recalls it from his first NYE there. It definitely didn’t disappoint and his expectations were completely met. He especially enjoyed not having to queue, like he did the first time, to get a prime position. It was well worth the cost and we would recommend it to others who are looking for a “once in a lifetime” opportunity.

12  Thank mdyrdek