“Magnificent restored tall ship”

James Craig Tall Ship
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Sydney’s Tall Ship Sailing Adventure on James...
Ranked #15 of 529 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Barque James Craig is rightly famous around the world. She is Sydney’s only 19th Century square rigger (or Tall Ship) and her incredible restoration to full sailing condition was recognised in 2003 by the World Ship Trust’s award of their prestigious Maritime Medal. Her restoration cost almost $A30 million and took nearly 40 years to complete after she was rescued from Recherche Bay in far southern Tasmania. This beautiful ship regularly goes to sea with up to 80 passengers and is open for public inspection at her berth at Wharf 7, 58 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont. She is also available for charter and for functions. Tall Ship James Craig is looked after by Sydney Heritage Fleet, a community-based non-profit organisation, with the following mission: To build and maintain an internationally recognised centre of excellence in maritime heritage for the benefit of all Australians by presenting through research, acquisition, conservation, restoration, education and operation, our continuing maritime history. The Fleet is funded through donations, membership subscriptions and income from vessel charters and tours. The Fleet’s 1200 strong membership and 450 dedicated volunteer workers restore, operate and maintain the fleet of vintage vessels. In the process they preserve traditional technical methods and skills.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Definitely worth seeing - this magnificent tall ship was restored from a rotting hulk to a wonderful example of the old sailing ships. Located at Darling Harbour, it is easy to get to and takes about an hour to have a good look around the vessel.

2  Thank Bowral
"boxing day"
"half day cruise"
"sea shanties"
in 2 reviews
"great view of the fireworks"
"sea sick tablets"
in 2 reviews
"morning and afternoon tea"
"front row seats"
"birthday present"
"bucket list"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We visited it at the maritime museum. We had a guide show us the ship and tell us its history. An amazing story and an amazing ship. Its very big and I tried to imagine it at sea would be a trip to remember. Shame it was a spontaneous idea to visit as I wish I had my camera with me.

2  Thank DomenicPapa
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

If you have time while in Sydney I highly recommend it. It's good value and I believe it will leave an impression on you like it did for me. Enjoy it!! Make time!

1  Thank Janr20
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I remember when the remnants of the hull of this vessel came into Sydney Harbour on a barge. Those of us who knew a thing or two sneered at the idea that such a large project would ever be completed by volunteers: they had to replace the missing plates of the hull, timber everything, step the masts, rig everything--it will never happen we said.

Every time I see 'James Craig', I grin with pleasure at seeing how wrong we were!

5  Thank MacManly