“Luxe in Sydney”

Ranked #6 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
hobyan
“Luxe in Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here many times. It's outlandish and plush. Having your own dressing room, lounge, multiple TV's, study. The linens, amenities etc, all very Las Vegas.

I always eat at Momofuku Seiobo and Zumbo in the complex, highly recommend.

It's not romantic, it's not quiet - if you want that then I like the Park Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed here for my partner's birthday and was upgraded to a suite... and it was a fabulous suite at that! Loved the room, the decor, the circular jacuzzi, large TVs in each room, very comfy bed and pillows.

Loved the Molton Brown toiletries and the Nespresso capsule coffee included.

Gym was shared with the bigger Astral next door so it got a little busy but the pool (and bar) was gorgeous even tho' I didn't get to use it because it was a bit cold then. The Spa would've been great if I had the time...

Staff were very helpful and always obliging, always with a smile and seem genuine when asking you pleasantries. Hallways were quiet and seems that guest privacy is definitely ensured. Staff numbers looked minimal but it's not... they're there when needed.

If there was a downside it would be the breakfast buffet. Shared also with the Astral, it is also a buffet restaurant that's part of The Star Casino complex. The spread was nice but it just isn't on par with the class of The Darling.

In all, I had a great stay at this hotel, and would definitely return again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Star_Management, Manager at The Darling, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Loincloth,

It is great to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us, especially for such a special occasion. More importantly, thank you for enjoying all the unique details that are distinctly Darling. From the custom designed Darling Bed, the mixture of two different custom designed pillows to ensure a sound sleep, and the convenience of the much welcomed Nespresso in the room.

It is these small touches that make up the experience, and we are glad you enjoyed each and every one of them.

In regards to breakfast options, perhaps on your next stay you would prefer Antidote, a local’s favourite for those breakfasts on the go, or a more indulgent option of an In Room Breakfast, which comes highly recommended.

Until we meet again,

Dx
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is truly a luxury experience that Sydney can be proud of. I would describe the Standard King room as almost a Suite with a seperate lounge and bedroom. The bathroom with spa and walk in dressing room is a lovely, hidden surprise.
And of course, the view out over Darling Harbour, the CBD skyline and the Harbour Bridge is spectacular.
My experience began with a mild hiccup, there were no valets out the front when I drove up so I had no idea if I was meant to leave my car at the door. I was out of the car and walking into the hotel before a young man ran up to me to see if I needed assistance. Car keys handed over, all was fine. Not a big deal but in most 5 star hotels around the globe there is generally a plethora of people waiting to open doors, take your vehicle and your luggage, The Darling appears to have gone minimalist!

Checking in was smooth and quick, the lovely lady behind the desk, took me up to my room and pointed out all the fixtures and features. She was delightful and the personal touch was appreciated.

About 15 minutes after I checked in, a complimentary fruit platter was delivered to my room, a delicious and well received touch!

I didn't eat from room service but the menu appeared to have a decent variety and the pricing was not astronomical.

It is a large hotel so when I called down for ice and an ice bucket I was pleasantly surprised to have it delivered in less than 5 minutes!!

The decor is contemporary and tasteful....loved the photo art around the room. The features are high-tech but not impossible to figure out. And, the amount of space was brilliant!

I would highly recommend a night at the Darling, I truly wish I could have spent more time as a guest.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Harbour Bridge.... the bed faces the window so it's a delightf...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
The_Star_Management, Manager at The Darling, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Louise L.

We cannot thank you enough for your generous feedback, you seem to have really captured what we strive to achieve for each and every one of our guests.
From the personalised service delivered by team, to the perfect timing of fresh amenities, which we hope you enjoyed. And in regards to our In Room Dining Menu, I assure you, you will not be disappointed.
We also, wish you had more time to spend with us here at The Darling, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
With warmest regards,

Dx
Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Planning to try the high end properties in Melbourne and Sydney on my birthday trip, I was dismayed by the shocking levels of service in Melbourne Crown but The Darling at Sydney was a very pleasant surprise not only did start with an upgrade to a suite or a surprise by a complimentary amenity from the hotel, but the service was just super super attentive throughout our stay and consistently. Staff is always having the smiling face and willing to assist every single guest, like each time we were doing anything we were being escorted/helped out by at least 2 people. It seems that the culture of great service has been instilled into absolutely everyone, from the reception to the taxi marshal. Their casino is the most civilized casino in Macau - quite intimate, the right level of lighting, free drinks that are offered continuously, luxurious deco. The hotel is pretty quiet compared to all the surrounding properties. All in all - couldn't be happier. Excellent service. Will be back over and over again.

Room Tip: Room facing at Darling Harbour is amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

The hotel was visually appealing in the foyuer staff were friendly but sadly the overall experience was not good you see the room was electronically faulty. Arrived at 9pm after our flight from melb.. Checked in and couldn't open fridge to get out a drink. The electrician couldn't fix it so we had to select quickly what we wanted before he left as fridge went into lock down! Then we decided to watch a movie and order pizza.. Movie was great bit half way through power went out so we called main desk! They fixed it yet it kept happening until we just gave up. On check out we mentioned the problem again as they had no notes on these occurrences and I felt they weren't apologetic .. They did not charge is for movie but I felt they should have offered us a complimentary nights stay in the future for all that we put up with. It really puts a dampner on what was meant to be a relaxing unwind to the beginning of our trip

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Sarah C
Dear Sarah C.

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience on this occasion. We were very disappointed to hear that your overall experience was hindered by the glitches encountered with the minibar and movie system, as we place great importance on the use of technology offered in our hotel to make each and every stay effortlessly comfortable. Rest assured we do take these issues very seriously, and based on your feedback we have been able to rectify the issue. We would greatly appreciate a moment of your time to discuss your experience a little further. Please feel free to contact me directly on stela.popovic@echoent.com.au at your convenience.

With warmest regards,
Stela Popovic
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My mother and I stayed in this hotel in early December. From the moment we checked in the staff could not have nicer or more professional. A beautiful suite overlooked the harbour. The rooms were beautifully appointed and the bathroom with its spa bath especially, was quite incredible! We ate mostly room service which on every occasion was excellent in quality and comparatively well priced. The pool in this hotel is lovely and most rooms overlook it. The day spa is quite lovely though 'hotel prices' apply (though given the amenities this could be justified). All in all a wonderful experience by a clearly well run hotel with exceptional staff members.

Room Tip: The harbour view is considerably more attractive!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Robinvale, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Celebrated my wifes 60th birthday here in November 2013. Initially booked into a queen room facing Pyrmont Street we were upgraded to an apartment after finding a window would not close properly which was causing a howling noise from the wind. The staff were extremely courteous and accommodating, the room opulent and super comfortable. A great location to explore Darling Harbour from and all that the Star Casino has to offer. Definitely recommend the Darling @ the Star.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple