“Great location for shopping and harbor site seeing”
Review of The Darling

The Darling
Ranked #4 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I really enjoyed the hotel location. The lobby bar is fair. The downside, the restaurant associated with this hotel is in another building next to the casino and is not very good. However there are numerous wonderful restaurant choices within a 10minute walk.

Room Tip: The darling hotel coffee shop and across he street in a green building is a another great breakfast...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 1 night with my daughter for her birthday as it was close to the Lyric Theatre & we didn't have to venture out in the dark!
We travelled to the Star on the light rail from central & it was so quick & easy! The first thing we noticed was the beautiful aroma in the foyer!
Belinda met us when we arrived & escorted us to the lift. She was kind enough to show us what to do with our room key card in the lift! I have never experienced this level of service anywhere else!!
We knew after that we would be well looked after & we were not disappointed! We requested a quiet room away from lifts & ended up on level 7. The room didn't overlook the pool area, but didn't matter as the room was georgeous, it had the Most comfortable bed I have EVER slept in! There was only a little bit of noise from music somewhere outside, but not enough to be a problem so we couldn't sleep. We had a twin room & it was very spacious. Loved the bathroom area & were so excited to see the Molton Brown toiletries!!! The rain shower was awesome! We have stayed at Crown Towers in Melbourne & thought we would never find anywhere half as good, but the Darling was up there with luxuriousness!
All staff were so friendly, especially the girls at the pool bar! The pool & spa were amazing, although it got very windy after an hour or so & we left as the umbrellas & cushions started flying around! We both had a massage in the Spa & were blown away by the experience! We couldn't believe the size of the day spa!! Loved it so much, we both agreed it was better than the service we received at Crown Towers Spa in Melb!!
It was wonderful to return to our beautiful room (minutes away) after Grease the Musical (fabulous, I must add!!!) thanks
Darling, we can't wait to return!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 25, 2013

After a bad experience previously we decided to try the Darling again for an anniversary stay. Our stay started off wonderful - told we were upgraded and a complimentary bottle of Chandon and strawberries for our anniversary. The non-smoking room was amazing, until we opened the bathroom door and it just smelt like an ashtray. We asked reception if housekeeping could spray a little air fresher and after an hour of waiting for housekeeping in our room, we went to reception and were told they had already sprayed the room (untrue as we were always in the room). We were told housekeeping would do it now and we left to look around the Star. We came back to a room extremely overdosed in air fresher that we couldn't stay in the room. We told reception and were told the only option was to downgrade us from our originally booked room. A manager assisted us and moved us to the same room we were upgraded to (adore spa suite) and refreshed our wine. From then the stay was great - the staff are friendly and helpful, the room service dinner and breakfast is delicious and the rooms are beautiful, very comfortable and have amazing views.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I usually stay at the Darling when I visit and work in Sydney, I have to say that they have the best beds ever.
The pillows are perfect (choose your own firmness), the front of house very polite and service is always with a smile.
I love the food court & fine restaurants downstairs, it suits all comers

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Beautifully decorated & spacious. The jewel spa suite is easily the most modern hotel in Sydney. Blew my expectations out of the water. Love the c-bus throughout & current vogue & Marie Claire in room is a nice touch. Bathroom is especially lovely with big spa & separate walk in robe.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank alycecrock
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I can't comment on the hotel but The Spa@ The Darling was terrible. I'm a spa junkie and always like to visit new spas especially one that looks as gorgeous as this one. I was given a $170 voucher as a birthday gift and added another $130 to it to upgrade to what promised to be two hours of delight; the 90 minute Abhyanga Massage and the chance to linger in the relaxation rooms.
In the spa menu this massage is described as great for anyone in need of some TLC. That was me, after a stressful few months I just needed to relax and be pampered. So I made a booking to spend the afternoon of my birthday relaxing at the spa.
My visit started with my therapist greeting me with " You are late so your treatment will be cut short". I was not late but there were forms to be filled out and a warm welcome drink to be enjoyed but this greeting put an end to any feeling of warmth or welcome.
The massage was basic, without any skill and less than ordinary with the therapist telling me how she really prefers doing facials. Nothing about the treatment was relaxing and there was certainly no TLC.
To top it off I had called to explain that as it was my birthday I would be going to dinner from the spa and wanted to know if there were facilities there for me to do my hair and make up or if I should go home to get ready. I was told there were facilities where I could shower, do my hair and makeup. Imagine my horror when I found that the whole spa had very dim lighting and there was noway I could do my make up in such dim surroundings? The helpful spa staff told me to go to the toilets in the hotel lobby (two floors down) and do my hair and make up there!
After parting with my $300 and leaving for the restaurant looking less than my best it was a very poor start to my birthday celebrations.
I have subsequently had massages at two other places at a fraction of the price. Both were far better massages that at The Spa@ The Darling so my advice is don't bother.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank chellmc59
Roger G, Manager at The Darling, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear michelle_l_mcewing,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write about your visit to The Spa at The Darling. Needless to say I'm disappointed to read that it didn't meet the standards you should rightfully expect.

I've been in touch with our General Manager and she's instructed one of the Spa staff members to contact you straight away to discuss your experience. We'd love to welcome you back to The Spa again so please expect an email very soon.

Best regards,
Roger

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at The Darling overnight in late October, for a girls trip to Sydney. The room was spotless, beds and pillows so, so comfortable and amenities just perfect. The TV was massive and for us girls, the hairdryer (A VS model) was a very welcome addition.

The pool was lovely and spa was perfect too! Staff were very helpful, even when it appeared one of our suitcases had been mislaid due to arriving early and leaving it there prior to check-in, they were more than helpful and were apologetic when it was delivered within 30 minutes of check-in.

The location is perfect for getting the Sydney CBD and you can't miss some of the brilliant cafes in the area.

Will be recommending this fine hotel to all our friends and families.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends