“Average at best”
Review of Opal Minded

Opal Minded
Ranked #1 of 184 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Opal Minded is the only opal store in Sydney that mines its own opals. Established in 1989, it is conveniently located in The Rocks, just steps away from the Sydney Opera House. Uncompromising multilingual assistance. Australian opals unset and in pret-a-porter classical and contemporary designs. Duty free prices.
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I simply did not find this store living up to these reviews. The staff was nice enough and they had a large selection; however, the pricing was nothing to write home about--in fact I have found better prices in the states--which makes no sense to me.
Lastly, I found the while the staff was nice, the salesperson I worked with was not particularly knowledgeable. I simply asked if something was a doublet and she said oh you know a lot about opals--really? I hardly think that qualifies as a truly educated opal buyer. I do have some knowledge as it's my wife's birthstone and I've bought more than my share of the stone.

5  Thank JWD915
opalminded, Owner at Opal Minded, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear JWD915

Thank you for your valuable comment, which has saddened me and my Opal Minded team deeply.

We do strive to exceed our customers’ expectations every single time, so to hear of your disappointment is indeed terribly disappointing to us, and to me personally.

Perhaps if you were in the position to give our staff a chance to explain Opal Minded’s point of difference, you might have left the store feeling more satisfied.

Comparing Opal Minded prices to those in the States might make more sense if you had known that solid Jundah opals, our speciality, are unique to Opal Minded in the quantity and quality, and can rarely be found in the US for comparison.

Also the majority of our opal doublets and triplets are not only of the highest quality available, but – unlike is the case with many elsewhere - they are set in bespoke or proprietary design pieces.

Additionally, we guarantee our pieces far beyond what is normally expected.

Should you still be unconvinced as to the value offered by Opal Minded, I will gladly serve as your guide on Australian opal, and – at your convenience – a guide to Opal Minded opal mines.

I do look forward to hearing from you at our business e-mail address.

At your disposal and with kind regards

Renata Bernard

"great education"
"ear rings"
"jewelry pieces"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this store"
"great sales"
"beautiful store"
"visited australia"
"valeria"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed December 23, 2013

My wife and me wanted to buy an Opal as a typical Australian souvenir representing the exciting tour of Australia. Our look around the shops showed Opal Minded as the best store in Sydney. Best informations of origin and background of Opal kinds and qualities, a very great range of gems, explanation of the connection of prices and qualities. Nailya (Nelly) was a very friendly and patient adviser and provided an unforgettable shopping experience.

3  Thank Hans-Juergen W
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

BEST Opal Choice!! Best unique service just for me. Thank you CATHY!! Helping me choose a perfect gift for my mum. I would like to write in Cantonesse but it doesn't work when I submit.

3  Thank CECILETAN
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Opal Minded is a remarkable store to buy opals in Sydney! Even if you are not crazy about jewellery you can find pleasant souvenirs there at reasonable prices. It is the only opal store in Sydney where I felt comfortable and I made a purchase there. I bought a ring and pendant in a shape of KOALA))))) Thanks to unique atmosphere and very good and polite personnel. I say HI and thanks to Nailya a russian girl working there! We are from almost the same part of Russia!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Elennnna