“Beautiful jewelry and outstanding after-sales service”
Review of Opal Minded

Opal Minded
Ranked #1 of 185 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Opal Minded is the only opal store in Sydney that mines its own opals. Established in 1989, it is conveniently located in The Rocks, just steps away from the Sydney Opera House. Uncompromising multilingual assistance. Australian opals unset and in pret-a-porter classical and contemporary designs. Duty free prices.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm an Australian living overseas. I was back in Sydney in early 2012 and looking for a special gift for my girlfriend. I visited a few different Opal shops in the Sydney CBD. I found the quality of the jewelry at Opal Minded, as well as the very friendly and knowledgable staff, to be first class. I bought a beautiful opal bracelet and my girlfriend was extremely happy. Some months later the bracelt was accidently damaged and Opal Minded were able to repair and ultimately replace some of the stones with a minimum of fuss. I was extremely impressed by the level of customer service and the speed of follow-up; especially considering I am still living outside Australia! All-in-all it was a very pleasurable experience and I have no hesitation in recommending Opal Minded and, in particular, the PR and Sales Mgr, Cathy, to anybody visiting Sydney and looking for the highest quality opal jewelry matched with the highest quality customer service.

5  Thank 517TimP517
"great education"
"ear rings"
"jewelry pieces"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this store"
"great sales"
"beautiful store"
"visited australia"
"valeria"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Wonderful jewellery and very nice staff made us really happy :) Best wishes Naylia, hope to see you soon.

7  Thank Mike_pl
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife & I just happened to pass this shop and decided to stop inasmuch as the windows were very attractive. The shop itself is very well decorated and understated. However, the opals displayed were magnificent and such that you would probably find it difficult to leave without making a purchase; large or small. Our salesperson, Valeria, was exceptionally patient with my wife who looked at items ranging from $300 to $46,000. I felt very comfortable in saying that although we have good taste, the higher end was not in the budget. We did, in fact, make a purchase of a 4 figure stone. The treatment is the same if you were to purchase a $300 jewel or $46,000. I would say that if you are ever in the Rock area of Sydney, do not miss visiting this shop; and by all means ask for Valeria...

4  Thank Marty L
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Sydney following my brother-in-law's wedding. We were there for over two weeks and we had been in many different Opal stores. I am a United States Marine and have traveled the world and I always make it a point to get a piece of jewelry for my wife that is indigenous to whatever region I/we visit. We had finally picked out a white opal we liked at a store down by the Warf and were going to purchase it a few days before leaving.
The Saturday before we left we went to the outdoor market at The Rocks. We walked around the market and made a few purchases. Around lunch time we decided to explore and find a restaurant to have lunch. We were walking around and ended up walking by Opal Minded. My wife wanted to stop in and "take a look". Guys, we all know what this means. In my mind, we had already picked out a white opal we wanted, and even negotiated a price for it and were planning on going back to get it later that day. So why go in ANOTHER store?......
Well, we walk in and I take a look around, assess the place, very nice selection, sophisticated set-up....going to be an over-priced, pushy sales person trying to wheel and deal me out the door.
Cathy came out and engaged my wife. I kept my distance as the skeptic and listened to what Cathy was telling my wife and her "sales pitch". Much to my surprise, there was no sales pitch, and Cathy seemed to be an expert in Opals! So I joined the conversation and began to educate myself on opals and the different kinds and their quality, and what makes them valuable, (All of which did not take place at ANY of the other stores we had visited)....But, what did take place at those other stores was the "wheeling and dealing, and price dropping, and pushiness to get a deal made and get us out the door.
After hearing the history of Opal Minded and the family legacy they have built, along with their selection and knowledge and tenure in the industry, I was sold! Cathy spent over 2 hours with us. She showed us easily 10 times the inventory other stores had, and the prices were the prices, no cut-rate deal making to make you feel good.
My wife and I picked out a boulder opal in a very distinct shape and color. It was just the stone, so we needed to get it set and wanted to make a pendant and necklace out of it. But were leaving the country in 3 days! Cathy said they have a jeweler who does all their work and he can make anything we want. My wife designed the exact setting she wanted and drafted a picture/drawing to give the jeweler. This all occurred on a Saturday afternoon. We were leaving the country on Tuesday afternoon.
Cathy assured us it would be ready before we left to return to the U.S. She even said they would deliver it to us where we were staying about 15 minutes north of Sydney in Cremorne if need be.
Monday afternoon we got a call saying it was ready and we could pick it up first thing Tuesday morning. Cathy even came in on her day off to meet us to deliver the pendant. It was magnificent and exactly what my wife wanted. The jeweler did an exemplary job replicating what my wife designed and also added his expertise to bring out the beauty of the stone. The end product was even more than we could have ever expected. We ended up with one of my wife's favorite jewelry pieces, and met amazing and very talented people in the process.
I would highly recommend visiting Opal Minded while in Sydney. Save yourself the time of going to all the tourist opal shops, and go to the best place in Sydney to buy an Opal...Opal Minded. I will be visiting next time we are there to get more of their stones and design more jewelry.
Thank you Opal Minded, truly first class in all aspects! Cathy is amazing and a true professional!

Hunter and Krystin