“Wonderful experience”
Review of Opal Minded

Opal Minded
Ranked #4 of 158 Shopping in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Opal Minded is the only opal store in Sydney that mines its own opals. Established in 1989, it is conveniently located in The Rocks, just steps away from the Sydney Opera House. Uncompromising multilingual assistance. Australian opals unset and in pret-a-porter classical and contemporary designs. Duty free prices.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife & I just happened to pass this shop and decided to stop inasmuch as the windows were very attractive. The shop itself is very well decorated and understated. However, the opals displayed were magnificent and such that you would probably find it difficult to leave without making a purchase; large or small. Our salesperson, Valeria, was exceptionally patient with my wife who looked at items ranging from $300 to $46,000. I felt very comfortable in saying that although we have good taste, the higher end was not in the budget. We did, in fact, make a purchase of a 4 figure stone. The treatment is the same if you were to purchase a $300 jewel or $46,000. I would say that if you are ever in the Rock area of Sydney, do not miss visiting this shop; and by all means ask for Valeria...

4  Thank Marty L

Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Sydney following my brother-in-law's wedding. We were there for over two weeks and we had been in many different Opal stores. I am a United States Marine and have traveled the world and I always make it a point to get a piece of jewelry for my wife that is indigenous to whatever region I/we visit. We had finally picked out a white opal we liked at a store down by the Warf and were going to purchase it a few days before leaving.
The Saturday before we left we went to the outdoor market at The Rocks. We walked around the market and made a few purchases. Around lunch time we decided to explore and find a restaurant to have lunch. We were walking around and ended up walking by Opal Minded. My wife wanted to stop in and "take a look". Guys, we all know what this means. In my mind, we had already picked out a white opal we wanted, and even negotiated a price for it and were planning on going back to get it later that day. So why go in ANOTHER store?......
Well, we walk in and I take a look around, assess the place, very nice selection, sophisticated set-up....going to be an over-priced, pushy sales person trying to wheel and deal me out the door.
Cathy came out and engaged my wife. I kept my distance as the skeptic and listened to what Cathy was telling my wife and her "sales pitch". Much to my surprise, there was no sales pitch, and Cathy seemed to be an expert in Opals! So I joined the conversation and began to educate myself on opals and the different kinds and their quality, and what makes them valuable, (All of which did not take place at ANY of the other stores we had visited)....But, what did take place at those other stores was the "wheeling and dealing, and price dropping, and pushiness to get a deal made and get us out the door.
After hearing the history of Opal Minded and the family legacy they have built, along with their selection and knowledge and tenure in the industry, I was sold! Cathy spent over 2 hours with us. She showed us easily 10 times the inventory other stores had, and the prices were the prices, no cut-rate deal making to make you feel good.
My wife and I picked out a boulder opal in a very distinct shape and color. It was just the stone, so we needed to get it set and wanted to make a pendant and necklace out of it. But were leaving the country in 3 days! Cathy said they have a jeweler who does all their work and he can make anything we want. My wife designed the exact setting she wanted and drafted a picture/drawing to give the jeweler. This all occurred on a Saturday afternoon. We were leaving the country on Tuesday afternoon.
Cathy assured us it would be ready before we left to return to the U.S. She even said they would deliver it to us where we were staying about 15 minutes north of Sydney in Cremorne if need be.
Monday afternoon we got a call saying it was ready and we could pick it up first thing Tuesday morning. Cathy even came in on her day off to meet us to deliver the pendant. It was magnificent and exactly what my wife wanted. The jeweler did an exemplary job replicating what my wife designed and also added his expertise to bring out the beauty of the stone. The end product was even more than we could have ever expected. We ended up with one of my wife's favorite jewelry pieces, and met amazing and very talented people in the process.
I would highly recommend visiting Opal Minded while in Sydney. Save yourself the time of going to all the tourist opal shops, and go to the best place in Sydney to buy an Opal...Opal Minded. I will be visiting next time we are there to get more of their stones and design more jewelry.
Thank you Opal Minded, truly first class in all aspects! Cathy is amazing and a true professional!

Hunter and Krystin

42  Thank Hunter C
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stopped by several other opal stores in Sydney and was not impressed....Until I found Opal Minded! The staff was amazing, and the selection was to die for! If you are in the Rocks, you must stop by!

9  Thank ouerni
Reviewed January 14, 2013

In September 2012 a friend and I visited Australia for 3 weeks and on our 2 stays in Sydney we headed to The Rocks area to Opal Minded hoping to buy some nice souvenirs, and we did! Cathy, our sales clerk, was one of the nicest people I've ever met. She was most helpful with our selection of opal pendants and necklaces, taking the time to explain the difference in cuts and settings. Although our purchases were NOT from the stunningly beautiful high-end price category available in the shop, Cathy made us feel very comfortable and welcomed. She also suggested a visit to Baroque, a french bistro just across the street, and we were so happy she did because we found the most delicious of treats: macarons! I highly recommend a stop at Opal Minded, and if you're lucky, Cathy will be there to greet you.

6  Thank BarbaraMomNana
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We had wandered into several other opal stores in Sydney before we came across Opal Minded (which was next to our hotel!). My friend and I spent several hours over 2 days looking at the wide selection / prices of their pieces, and the sales associates were so patient and knowledgeable (since they mine their own opals). They helped us understand the different opals and what to look for in a good piece and what it should cost. They did not mind us looking and trying on pieces, even the ones out of our price range. We ended buying several pieces from them and I am very pleased with my purchases. I will definitely recommend this place to anyone who visits Sydney and looking for opals.

6  Thank Suzanne B