“Pasta and wine what more to life is there?”
Review of Bootleg Meatballs - CLOSED

Bootleg Meatballs
Cuisines: Diner, Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City East
Description: "From the outside, Bootleg Bar is an unobtrusive slip of an establishment a few minutes' walk from Kings Cross's hoo-ha bustle. Inside, the aesthetic is solacing and eye-catching - a New York-style small bar decorated with a cunning mix of industrial fittings, chalkboard panels, discreet lighting and framed photo portraits of famous rockers, hip-hoppers, mods and folk stars. It feels lived-in too. Not because it's drab but because the room's layout - bar tables and stools, followed by booth seating and a small restaurant-like section of tables and chairs in front of the kitchen - is a well-thought-out mix of accessibility and snugness." - Lenny Ann Low, Sydney Morning Herald Born in 2009, Bootleg Bar & Italian Food recalls the feeling of one of those late night treasures in down town New York City and Berlin. A low-lit space with comfy bar stools, booths and tables, perfect for downing local beers, boutique wines, cocktails and snacks at the bar. Chef and owner Rob Gal serves up top notch Italian dishes - luscious, flavoursome and a million miles from mingy portion sizes. A small, but considered menu with daily and seasonal specials boasting generous, heartfelt food of an Italian osteria - all served until late.
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Bootleg is a small bar with small restaurant in Darlinghurst.

The venue is really quirky and funky, lots of black and white photos of early 80's musicians: Paul Weller, Blondie, Run DMC. From the get go you are welcome in this place as staff are welcoming and help you choose a nice wine as the wines are not your usual off licence fodder.

Beware that the space is quite small so you will be close to the next table but its well worth the effort.

Food Italian and is excellent. Go to dish is the truffle pasta. Very rich, very decadent but oh so worth it.

Can't recommend enough.

Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

As soon as we finishers mains we were told they needed the table ...we had been 1.5 hours and spent $70 a head..:won't be coming back

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I love Italian food. The food in this place is good. In fact, the Mushroom Fusilli is a dish I dream about. I cannot go too long, without needing my Mushroom Fusilli fix. This is a small, dimly lit, 50′s style joint. Good service. Good food. Nothing fancy. Definitely one to put on your Sydney list.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This restaurant on Victoria St, Potts Point, just near Kings Cross Station, is small, but it looks deceptively small from the street - most of the tables are tucked away down the back, behind the bar.

I've only eaten here a couple of times, but have been really impressed. Last week, I had the best steak tartare I've ever had in my life. The food that we've seen is a little broader in scope than simply Italian, for example, the aforementioned steak tartare, or a watermelon salad. The servings are generous, and the food is well-crafted, and delicious. Friendly staff, who are genuinely interested in food they serve, and a comprehensive but not overwhelming wine list, make for a great night's dining.

This is a great local restaurant I've been waiting to find for a while...

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This restaurant was recomended to us by a friend, and glad we made the effort to come here for a late dinner one night. Just a very small place, but great food, good atmosphere, perfect for a chilled out evening.

I had Pork Belly and my husband the Wagyu - both had the wow factor as you took your first bite, although both very very rich and I could not finish mine which was a shame!
Decent sized meals, good value for money - and I would consider visiting again next time in Sydney