“Delicious, but...what?....”

Sugarcane
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Sugarcane has had a complete renovation and it's a great space. The menu is also new and I found the food delicious and well priced. The roti was one of the best I have had in Sydney. The Wagyu Rendang was very good but not a typical version of rendang. The service was friendly and efficient. The only downside, and it was significant is when the restaurant is full it is literally so loud you can't hear your dining companion right in front of you. Everyone was yelling to hear themselves speak. It doesn't take much for a little soundproofing and there really needs to be some here. It's a shame, because it's a nice place to dine with great food.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This used to be my go-to place for whenever someone asks me where to eat in Sydney (city) if you could only eat at 1. I have had numerous friends bdays, anniversaries and other special occasions here.
Food before were made by this Western chef and every time I came I was amazed as he continuously delivered fresh, flavoursome, amazing South East Asian food. Haven't been in a while but came back the other day for my sister's birthday and Sugarcane completely changed.

The decor has changed very nicely actually. Bags hanging from the ceiling, steel chairs and wall art decoration were all very impressive. I then noticed a compete change of staffs, including chefs (they have an open kitchen) so was already a bit skeptical. Menu was somewhat the same with less items and description. We ordered the rice cake entree, the usual everyone's fav - crispy chicken in plum sauce, salt-pepper silken tofu and duck.
Entree was excellent but as I havent had it before in the old days so I'm not sure if it's been improved or not. Then the chicken came out in a really small plate and we knew it wouldn't be the same. It lack depth in the sauce. Portion were so small for 5 people - i think each of us had 1 piece - especially this is a share-dining sort of thing. Then the duck came out in even smaller plate and lastly the tofu was probably as big as my asian hand. None of them have the freshness of herbs and generous sauce with bold flavours like before. We felt quite disappointed and hungry afterward that we all went and ate steaks elsewhere!

I think the restaurant might have changed hands, though it gives an impression it is the same (menu items and all). Needless to say, I'm not returning anytime soon.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Wonderful food, served by helpful, knowledgable wait staff. Menu was interesting with plenty of variety, ingredients were clearly fresh, and the cooking make the most of it. Wine list probably could do with some more work (pretty much mainstream selection, not many stand-out wines). But maybe that is not the restaurant's focus. I'll be back for sure though. The food is the main draw-card here.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Instructions were: be there at 6.45 promptly and must be out at 8.45. And we obeyed.We kept our bargain. But at 8.30 we were caned by Sugarcane! As we were finishing our glasses of wine we were asked to leave. When it was pointed out it wasn't yet 8.45 we were then subjected to a lecture with attitude. Having scooped up our disposable cash we were then seen as disposable.
(We presume the staff finished off our second bottle of wine or maybe they poured it by the glass for a table at the next sitting)

Two sittings per night is common in restaurants in Sydney and we have experienced some very charming, tactful and sometimes comedic ways of winding up the evening. But not at Sugarcane.

This restaurant apparently runs on the Basil Fawlty principle ie just do as your told.The food was good -but kitchen is let down by the attitude at front of house.

Gemma K

1  Thank GemmaK3
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Really enjoyable evening out. Communal tables, good menu and good decor. We had made reservations but still had to wait a little while for our table, service was a little slow (I got the feeling that they were busier than expected following on from a lot of food review write-ups that week) and some of our dishes took a while to come out but the food was really delicious when it came. Unfortunately they had run out of tofu and half of our group were vegetarian. Wine list was pretty pricey compared to other Asian restaurants. Didn't bother us much but worth noting that it's pretty loud.
Particularly recommend the prawn, rice cake and caramelised sugarcane.
Great pad thai.