“Just terrific food”

Sugarcane
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We've now been 3 times to Sugarcane and we will go again. The fresh clean lines of the restaurant are very inviting, the maitre d' is the best, helpful, friendly and efficient. The food is quite simply wonderful.
Only one tiny drawback. If you oldies like us don't go on a Saturday night when it's very full and very noisy.

There are newer reviews for Sugarcane

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have been to Sugarcane numerous times over the years and it's consistently been one of my most favourite place to eat. It's casual enough that you won't eat instant noodles for the next 6 months (well for a student like me anyway) but nice enough that you won't be dinning with thongs and caps wearers. The food is a very nice combination of all South East Asian cuisines. I'm a true Vietnamese and the food has never let me down like other "fusions" that turned Asian signatures of herbs and spices into bland weird mix... if you know what I mean. They also have a nice wine and cocktails list. I'd recommend the dumplings for starter. Chicken or pork belly are also amazing but my most favourite is the tofu with mushrooms. Perfection! Also nice atmosphere and great service are massive bonuses. Note though that reservation is essential on Fri and Sat night. Also on those busy nights it can get quite noisy. But that's very Asian!

1  Thank ThaoTNg
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Last week I was in Sydney for a conference and ended up at a small boutique restaurant in Surry Hills called Sugar Cane! a friend from the conference recommended it so I thought I would give it a try. The service was second to none and the quality and taste of food was faultless. I would recommend anyone in the Sydney area to try this food sensation!

A special thank you to our host there! George! more people of your calibre are needed in the industry to deliver such fine service. I ill return.

Cheers,
Mike

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I loved this place I went back the next night as well. It is fresh asian and everything we ate was yummy.
Not a large place but the food is GOOD!!
Do try it - you'll like it :-)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We ordered every vegetarian dish on the menu and they were all absolutely scrumptious and the tofu melted in our mouths!
Now that the vegetarian birthday dinner is done, my husband & I are eagerly looking forward to trying the seafood and meat dishes.
Excellent value for money and wines listed to complement the Asian cuisine.