“Great vietnamese food”

Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Toolamba, victoria
“Great vietnamese food”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We decided to go to Xage on a whim and only booked in half an hour before our intended arrival. No problems said the person making the booking, though they needed the table a couple of hours later. Perfect for us, we had other things to do.

We picked a couple of things on the menu. I had the beef curry, identified as hot by the single image of a chilli (on a ranking system of 3, with 3 being the hottest), and confirmed as hot by the waiter. Great I thought, I love a bit of heat. Or so I thought! Now, I've eaten vindaloo's and curries of all sorts and had them as hot as anyone can stand, but the beef curry at Xage took the cake... or my taste buds. After one bite I was thinking 'if this is a 1, what's the 2 and 3 chilli dishes like.' I didn't think bowls could take the kind of heat it packed. Thankfully the flavour was bold too, so it didn't feel like I was just eating molten steel. Everyone enjoyed their food, and I can claim to have found the hottest dish in the Milky Way. I give a mark off because they don't serve alcohol and but charge corkage.

• Visited February 2012

Sydney, Australia
“Great Vietnamese food”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Increasingly turning into a mid-week favourite, this is a trendy Vietnamese BYO on Crown St. Very reasonable and good food - but remember that hot means hot! The rice paper rolls are excellent, and so are the salads. Outdoor seating is a bonus too.

Visited December 2011
Malaga, Spain
“not impressed with attitude”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Never actually got to eat here, as we couldn't make a reservation. Turned up one night at 21:00 and asked to wait 15 minutes. Just as we sat down at 21:20, the waiter informed us they closed at 22:00!! We left, and never tried again.

Visited December 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent food, but sort out your license”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

One thing I cannot stand is when you go to a restaurant and have to deal with their licensing issues. At Xage, the portion of the restaurant which is regarded as outdoors (in reality it is a totally enclosed veranda) is not licensed after 8pm (at least on the Sunday I was there), which meant that the end of our meal was rushed and we could not finish off our wine. Not exactly the way people want to wrap up their weekend, I cannot overlook this unfortunately, because the rest of the experience was outstanding. This place's atmosphere is relaxed - but it does not feel cheap, and the service is very friendly and efficient. But most of all the food is unreal - a treat of Vietnamese fusion dishes that will have you gag for more. Try the pork and beef signature dishes for a culinary experience you will remember.

• Visited December 2011
palm springs
“Vietnamese food on Crown St”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

really very good food served in this small restaurant we were lucky to get in! They only take cash be warned!! But it's not expensive we had a banquet meny $35 per person and it was delicious

Visited October 2011