“The bad service ruined the food”

The Cut Bar and Grill
Ranked #219 of 5,992 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: Inspired by the finest New York steakhouses, The Cut Bar & Grill serves premium cuts of Australian meat, alongside the freshest local seafood. Set in the cellars of one of Sydney's most historic buildings, this is a restaurant where the service means precision and the diners mean business. In addition to the Grill, The Cut's Bar is home to a unique cocktail and tasting menu and open 7 days a week. Visit us for lunch Monday to Friday or dinner any night of the week.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is an expensive place, so be prepared. That being said, I was shocked at the unprofessional and rude attitude of our server/waitress. No specials were mentioned, nothing recommended, no welcome to our group, brusque attitude. No sommelier in sight, but she had already swept my wine glass and silverware away with such noise and ignorance, I would have feared "kitchen revenge" if I had ordered anything. Seriously, she was absolutely rude and horrible from the get-go.

I was with a group of eight. Had I been with just one other person, I would have walked out. The steaks might be great, but the lighting was so bad we could not read the menu much less see our entrees. We asked for another light for our table and were finally handed ONE flashlight to pass around. NO ONE could see the menu. Clearly, they weren't happy about the inconvenience.

Service with gentle guidance and warmth makes or breaks a fine meal, especially if the diners are first time visitors. Our very innocent request for bread with our drinks was answered with a harsh "you'll get your bread when you order" (as if we were going to take the one puny slice doled out to each of us and flee the place). I guess we were tourists to her and not worth the effort.

The food was good, although the portions were somewhat small. We assume the steaks were done as ordered, as it was too,dark to seem them...but they were good and tender. Two people chose to split a steak, which I read that other "regulars" do with no issue. Our server was obviously perturbed.

One couple who spent the most didn't even tip, but part of the confusion was their inability to split the check (even when asked in advance).

If you are someone important that they know, I am sure it's a totally difference experience.
For the rest of us, the indifferent, unprofessional, and uninspired service made it less than it should have been.

Expect to pay $100. Per person. I don't mind that but I want to be treated with some respect.
Not worth the splurge.

Adam H, Manager at The Cut Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Hi Leslie,
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We're glad that you enjoyed the food you had on the night.

We are disappointed that the service you experienced was not up to your expectations and would love to speak to you more about this. Please email reservations@cutbarandgrill.com with your contact information so we can get in touch.

There are newer reviews for The Cut Bar and Grill

Reviewed January 31, 2013

What can I say? Best meal of our trip. The rib was amazing according to the meat lovers and the Barramundi was out of this world. We will be going back next time we visit Sydney. Wheelchair access is provided by waiters/cooks lifting the wheelchair down the cobblestone steps, notify staff ahead of time, they're super helpful. My daughter had a birthday to remember.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Excellent, if expensive meal. Steaks great. Service attentive and knowledgeable.

Whole event somewhat spoilt by arrogance of charging top dollar - and then imposing a stupid and arrogant extra charge for credit card use.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The place is a little hidden gem! You walk down the dark stairs and through the purple curtains, and open up to a very beautifully decorated restaurant! great funky atmosphere.

The food is always outstanding, as is the service.

I dined there last night and was greeted at the entrance with a friendly smile. All wait staff were very attentive and friendly as well as knowledgeable. We were assisted with our wine and food choices.

I love the fact that someone walks around with the trolley tempting you with the slow roasted rib, and povides you with all the details about the cooking process. Our waitor also gave us a very thorough run down of the menu, explaining all the different cuts and steaks they had to offer.

The standard cut of the standing rib is more than enough if you plan on having starters and dessert- the serving is huge and delicious- it literally melts in your mouth. We had sides of fries and salad that were also delicious. We finished with dessert- also all delicious!

It is on the expensive side, however if you can afford to splurge it is very worth it!

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

If you like steak this is not to be missed! Delicious! Also loved the sexy decor and moody ambiance. Great for a romantic night or special occasion. Only slight downers were the staff: some friendly some not so much. Also this place is expensive! We paid 700 dollars for 4 of us with 2 bottles of wine. Would go back and recommend .