“A cut above......”

Ranked #264 of 6,394 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: Inspired by the finest New York steakhouses, The Cut Bar & Grill serves premium cuts of Australian meat, alongside the freshest local seafood. Set in the cellars of one of Sydney's most historic buildings, this is a restaurant where the service means precision and the diners mean business. In addition to the Grill, The Cut's Bar is home to a unique cocktail and tasting menu and open 7 days a week. Visit us for lunch Monday to Friday or dinner any night of the week.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Don't be put off from entering down some steps from the streetbinto what might look like a wine bar or club. It's not. It's a lovely restaurant.

Front of house is a young lady who ensures your all stay is perfect. We had not booked a table so were shown to a bar seat for drinks whilst we waited. The wine list was extensive although a little pricey. Looking around the restaurant showed it to be under soft light and soft music playing - a romantic setting.

After 10 minutes we we were shown to our table. Service generally was very good, attentitive and good pace.

Oysters to share for our starter were lovely. The steak that followed was absolutely gorgeous. I cannot recall ever eating better. Well done on the outside but still moist on the inside. Every mouthful pure heaven.

An enjoyable experience and if I lived in Sydney I would be back again and again.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The restaurant is located in the Rock which is a very charming section of Sydney near the port. Inside the restaurant is nicely decorated and has a romantic atmosphere. The food however is nothing special considering the price. We ordered steaks that were ok but not great and our french fries had to be returned because they were too salty. Not a restaurant I would go out of my way to go to again.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We heard good things from a few people about this restaurant partcularly recommending the slow roasted prime rib, so we went there specifically to try it. We made a rservation for a monday night at 8 pm, and upon arriving the restaurant was less than half full. We tried to order the prie rib, but our waiter told us it had all been sold out. Yet for the next 1.5 hrs we watched them wheel out the trolley with the prime rib and serve it, including 2 tables who arrived at least 20 mins after us. We questioned the waiter at the end of the night on how this could have happened, and he went off to talk to the waiter serving the prime rib. He came back and claimed all the tables including the ones which had arrived after us had 'pre-ordered' the prime rib before arriving. I found this to be highly unlikely as 1 table was 6 people, and only 1 person ate prime rib. The other table had 5 people and only 3 people had the rib. I dont people would have called and pre-ordered in those numbers.

I orderd the wagu scotch fillet and my wife ordered the tasmanian fillet. Although my wifes steak was probably the cheapest steak on the menu ($35), for that money i still expect it to be good but found it to be below average and really just tasted like a slab of meat. My wagu was above average but for $60, i would expect it to be better than that.

1  Thank Ryan R
Adam H, Manager at The Cut Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Hi Ryan,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're very glad that you enjoyed your Wagyu steak, as well as the atmosphere of the restaurant. Unfortunately our signature Prime Rib is often in high demand - we hope that you will visit us again to give it a try.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Dined there on Wednesday. I was so impressed I went back the following Saturday as well. With awesome restaurants on offer all over Sydney I chose The Cut again because they cook their meat with passion. The Wagyu standing rib is pre - prepared med rare. All other steaks are cooked as you request. The Wagyu eye fillet is outstanding as well. Wine menu is extensive and expensive. Seats are deep cushion comfy leather, I didn't want to get up! Service is attentive and professional. If you want to sample the best Australian meat on offer in Sydney, give The Cut a crack. You will need to book ahead.

1  Thank Tony007Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This restaurant in The Rocks has a lovely, modern interior. An attractive divider of wine glasses helps separate the large dining room into more intimate sections.

We started with a charcuterie plate of four lovely dried meats that four of us shared. The house specialty is beef—choose from multiple kinds, cuts, and sauces. To stay local, members of my group had Tasmanian beef (sirloin and fillet) with herb butter. While some were pleased, my beef-loving partner found it mediocre. Perhaps the Wagyu would have been a better (but more expensive) choice.

Looking for something lighter, I chose two appetizers: poached tuna and a fried cauliflower salad. The tuna consisted of three very small slices of tuna, just barely cooked on the edges. The cauliflower was very tasty, but a bit too greasy. I was disappointed not to have greens with the cauliflower. I more than satisfied with the two both in quantify and quality, demonstrating again that appetizers tend to trump main courses.

The atmosphere was extremely nice and our wait staff good. Be prepared for the high prices for cuts in The Cut. Not sure we'd spring for it again.