“Was the wait worth it??????”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Porteno

Porteno
Ranked #258 of 5,835 Restaurants in Sydney
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Sydney
“Was the wait worth it??????”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went as a group of 5. To book a table you have to have a group of 5 or more and hand over your credit card number so that if you don't turn up you will get a surcharge of $60. Then you join the queue at the front door, but you will not be seated till the whole group is there. Ok now the wait begins, yes menus with given out straight away, however it was about 20 minutes before the order was taken, We were told that 3 entrees would be plenty for us.... not sure about that! The main meals then took an hour and a half to reach the table. Maybe we had to wait for the full eight hours for the pork to have cook. The side dishes were small portions.

The food was flavoursome, but I wanted more. the deserts came out of the kitchen very quickly, we shared 3 of them between us, the portions on these were right, there was enough to go round. We had one bottle of wine and a $320 bill.

Would I rush back? not sure. Ambience? NOISY and not in a good way, too many hard surfaces making it difficult to follow conversations. The mens toilets smelt as if somebody who hadn't washed was living in them. The doorman was friendly, the remaining staff were doing a job.

• Visited June 2013

Newcastle, Australia
“So very, very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Another special occasion saw our group of 11 dining out at Porteno in down-town Surry Hills. At $80/head, it isn't cheap - that said, it was good value for such a wonderful meal in a city that no longer blinks at paying $50 a plate for a main.

As long as you are a meat lover, the food at Porteno really is amazing. The shared entrees offered several delights ahead of to-die-for 8 slow cooked lamb and quite possibly the best roasted pork I have have ever sampled.

Wine list is extensive, if a little exxy. Service was of a standard to match the food - prompt, efficient and very polite.

Another one to rack up on the "must return" list to enjoy with the good wife.

Visited June 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
“A must go in Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been to Portenõ in 2012 when i was living in Sydney.
Myself and friend used to do a monthly selection for one of the Top/Coolest restaurants in Sydney!
Portenõ was the choice that month!

We have started our night with 2 Argentinian beers (Quilmes).
Entrees were Top:
-Pickled Veal Tongue
-House made Pork Sausage
-Crispy Fried Brussels Sprouts with Lentils and Mint ( wow a must try)
-House Baked Bread with Olive Oil and Pork Pate
For the mains, my friend order a delicious 8 hour Woodfired Pig.
I ve chosen the Ranger Valley Sirloin 350gm Grilled Over Charcoal.
No words to describe!
We had a bottle of La Linda Wine to complement our meal- recommended by our waiter.
We were seated in one of the two big tables at back of the room. The tables have room for nearly 12 people. If you are a small group or a couple, you might need to share the table (witch is good).
My friend finished up with a dessert (don´t remember).
We still had one glasse of the 2011 Familia Marguery Sun Dried Muscat and one of the Noe Pedro Ximenez Muy Viejo (30yrs) Xerez, Spain.
We wanted to have some European Port wine(Portugal) but they did not have!
Overall, was a great Argentinian experience and i will definitely go back.
Prices (with tips) were a bit over the average: 189$aus per person if i am not mistaken.
We had a meal over the average so its good value for money.

• Visited September 2012
Grafton, Massachusetts
“Yes it's as good as they say ... but boy is it expensive.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I'll keep this short, only to say I respect these folks in a huge way. They do "one thing" and they do it amazingly well. I crossed my fingers as a single walkin on a Tuesday night about 7pm and got the best seat in the house, right in front of the fire pit where all that juicy meat was slow roasting and I could watch the guys at work. All the staff were extremely friendly and had tons of genuine smiles to share. Sarah was particularly gracious, what a stunning woman and vegetarian to boot working in a meat lovers paradise like that. She recommended I do a "half and half" order of the 8 hour slow roasted lamb and pork, dripping with juices and complete with plenty of skin cracklin's did not disappoint. The dipping sauce was an olive oil, vinegar, garlic, chili and oregano combo that really complimented the meat. Now, this entre alone will set you back $46. Had to get the "famous" baked brussel sprouts, make with lentil and mint, soy and mustard .. also amazing, but that adds another $16. A tiny but delicious cocktail was $22(!!!!) and sparkling water and a good (very deserved) tip and my meal .. remember this was just me alone ... was over $100. Worth it for a very special once in a lifetime trip to Sydney? Yes. Would I eat there regularly at that price? Not a chance, ha.

• Visited June 2013
“Review of our experience in the queue to get in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant's menu looks amazing and one day i would like their very customer-unfriendly rules to permit me to eat here.

They open at 6pm and don't take bookings for groups smaller than five. So, we got there at 6.10 and found a long queue already there and joined the end of it. Soon a very smartly suited man came passed and said "if you have a booking, i can take you straight through" - ah, dude, rule #4 - no booking possible!!

He then said we would not get a table straight away and wiould go on their "wait list" - when i asked what time that meant we would get a table he said "this far back in the queue, at least a couple of hours"!

So, we promptly left and will not be returning unless they change the no booking policy.

It is beyond me why restaurants think it is acceptable to make keen visitors queue up on the footpath (for at least 30 mins if you want a table) and then tell those who have been queued up from opening time that they won't be able to eat for 2 + hours.

If we can make a booking at the best restaurant in the world, why isnt this possible at a bbq meat restaurant in Surry Hills?

Way to put off potential customers!

Visited June 2013