“A must visit Argentinian restaurant.Superb !!!!”
Review of Porteno

Porteno
Ranked #297 of 6,058 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Argentinean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I rarely go over board in critique but this restaurant was top knotch on all fronts.Service briiliant,atmosphere buzzy,Food truly delicious worthy of the Gods.I recommend everything that we tried.Beef Empanadas,Grilled Tuna with asparagus charred Jalepeno.BBQ Calamari and flat bean yoghurt tahino tartare,the home made sausages,the 8 houred wood fired pork and 8 hour wood fired cooked lamb.Even the Brussel sprouts were cooked in a totally fabulous way,yes Sprouts.The wine was Argentinian with a wide and varied selection.Our party of 6 left replete and very happy.This restaurant is in my top world 5 and I'm totally gutted that it's so far from London.But next time in OZ here we come!!!!!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is obviously a very popular inner city restaurant going on the lineup outside the restaurant prior to opening. We had a booking so we felt like celebrities as we walked straight in for a 6pm dinner. The restaurant is visually appealing with a large open courtyard with covered roof and overlooking cocktail bar. The racks of various animals of hot coals looked fantastic and the food tasted as good as it looked. The service was efficient, friendly and professional. The wine list was extensive and almost completely Argentinian. Not knowing anything about Argentinian wines made wine selection a bit of a mystery bag but we were not disappointed with our random selections. Overall a lovely night out!

We had a drink upstairs afterwards and the cocktails were excellent.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I spent a month travelling in Argentina so know a little about the food, so I am not giving this review lightly...

A fantastic little, or not so little Argentinian restaurant in downtown Surry Hills. Fantastic Parilla and Asado great for meat lovers but also great selection for fish lovers and vegetarians alike.

Nice little bar upstairs, fantastic service. Totally recommend for a night out or entertaining clients.

Recommend you book enquiries@porteno.com

1  Thank Immy_in_Singers
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had long had this restaurant on my wish list so when we were in Sydney recently for my husband's birthday weekend, I thought we should try out Porteno. My husband thought it would be good to try an Argentinian restaurant so I said I would do my best to find one! My cunning paid off and once we were seated at the bar upstairs to wait for a dining table to become available, I felt the perfect choice had been made for a birthday dinner. We had a couple of drinks plus nibbles whilst tapping our toes to the rockabilly assortment of music. I thought I would be slightly intimidated by the very funky surroundings but not at all. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. Once we were seated downstairs, the service was even more streamlined. To accommodate so many people during dinner service is testament to the high standard of staff training.
The meal was a great ride with lots of meat on offer. It is hard to single out anything in particular, but I just loved the brussel sprouts. Yes sprouts. I'm not sure if they were roasted of fried, but they were very morish. I loved the whole event and would not hesitate to go again.
Porteno only takes bookings for groups of 5 and up, so anything under means that you wait upstairs until something becomes available, but a little bit of rockabilly will certainly get you in the mood.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The more I eat at the multitude of great restaurants in Sydney, the more I realise that restaurants like porteno trade off hype rather than a true culinary experience. The baby chicken was lovely, but the pork was simply fatty off cuts in an oil bath. Also, highly overpriced. One thing in Porteno's favour is that it doesn't have a pretentious vibe about it - which is a nice change in a city full of itself - I wish I could say the same for the hipsters and 50 somethings waiting in line. Try it for yourself, but don't be afraid to say the food is mediocre even if your black rimmed glasses wearing friends say otherwise.

4  Thank Eatsyd