“Really nice, a great place to stay...”
Review of Jackaroo Hostel

Jackaroo Hostel
Ranked #29 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hostel was great! The staff were really friendly. They gave us some excellent recommendations of things to do in our short stay in Sydney, really helped us make the most of it. The hostel was really nicely spaced out, with some large common areas and there was a large dvd collection and good quality computers for us to use.. and it was a super bonus that the internet and wifi is free to use...All the facilities are so clean and they really take care of everything in there. The is a good atmosphere with great activities each night that allowed you to meet other travelers. You could easily come here solo and have a blast. Great rooms, super clean. Its right next door to the train station so its super easy to get everywhere as well..I would definitely return again...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed March 16, 2012

After arriving in Sydney just after new year, my friends and I were advised to check out the Jackaroo hostel... needless to say, we weren't disappointed!
As soon as we turned up we were welcomed by very friendly staff, who were helpful and willing to answer any questions and point us in the right direction!
There is a free BBQ / pizza on Tuesday nights (which always helps on a budget), and there is usually something going on most nights.
It is very modern, clean and a great atmosphere. Rob and Jade (Owners) have definitely got it right!.. There is no doubt I'll be back there when I return to Sydney!

Room Tip: The guys are very good if you are in a group and can usually cater for you and get you all together.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Overall, I thought this was a nice hostel. Lots of rooms, everything I saw was clean, and they had free wifi, which is fairly uncommon in this area. The Kings Cross neighborhood was a little seedy, but I felt safe walking around on my own. Rates were very reasonable for Sydney. I agree with a previous reviewer that many of the long stay guests were a bit cliquey, but they were not unfriendly. I found the staff to be very helpful and easygoing - one of the owners was even kind enough to carry my VERY heavy suitcase up the (seemingly millions of) stairs to my room.

My only complaint was that they advertise air conditioning in all the rooms, but at the time I stayed, it was broken and the room was quite stuffy and warm. Had the temperature been more comfortable, I would have gladly rated this hostel as 4 stars.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Barbie567
jackaroohostel, Owner at Jackaroo Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Hi,
Thanks for the review and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. The free internet and wifi is always a hit. Kings Cross does have some interesting characters though its expected with the bars and clubs located nearby. We encourage all guests to get involved in the daily events and activities as its a great time to meet people. There are a few stairs so we are happy to carry the bags for any of our guests, it definately keeps us fit..The entire building is air conditioned and is now all fixed and working properly, we had a few small issues recently but they have all been resolved.
Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

An amazing hostel run by two brothers who love what they do and take pride in their hostel. Rob, Jade and their staff made my stay in Sydney wonderful. They organised events everynight and their knowledge of Sydney and the East Coast is second to none. Thanks guys and keep up the great work!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I stayed at the Jackaroo hostel for 10 nights over Christmas and New Year and had such a great time! The rooms and bathrooms were extremely clean and the free internet and free breakfast were huge bonuses. The location is great, not far to walk to the Opera House etc and if you don't feel like walking you are right next to the train station. Rob and Jade are such lovely owners - they make you feel so welcome and remember your name which is so nice! I was quite homesick over Christmas and Rob and Jade did everything they could to make my stay enjoyable, loved the huge Christmas pudding on Christmas day! In the end I didn't want to leave! My Christmas cards from home didn't arrive until after I'd left Australia and Jade sent them all the way back home for me - so helpful and much appreciated!

I would highly recommend this hostel to other travellers and would definitely stay there again anytime!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Having travelled around the world i've stayed at alot of different hostels, and have never left a review before. But the Jackaroo is different. It is the coolest place i've ever stayed. Located in the cool Kings cross (which is the party place of Sydney) i was suprised to find a hostel so clean, friendly and fun. From the moment i arrived i felt safe and happy, with the owners recommending a bunch of fun cheap stuff for me to do during my 10 days in Sydney. The rooms all have airconditioning,my room even had a flat screen TV. Breakfast was provided every morning, and they have free internet and wi-fi. the staff there are so helpful and friendly, always on hand for advice or for a helping hand. the owners Jade and Rob are such cool and friendly people. They treat there guests like family. Thats why the Jackaroo is like a home away from home, the best hostel i have ever stayed in and recommend anyone looking to have a great time in Sydney to stay there. The Jackaroo definetely made my stay in Sydney so much better than i expected it to be. I just wish they had more hostels in australia.
Thanks again for the great stay and cant wait to stay with you guys again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2012

The hostel is very clean, large, with great shared space. Staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Kitchen is huge with relatively new equipment (stove, oven, microwave and most anything in pots / pans department you need). FREE Wifi was very strong, the entire place seemed very clean. Bathrooms are spacious and always had hot water. The only negative is the location (Kings Cross), but there are lots of hostels in Kings Cross...it's a very seedy neighborhood. On the plus side, the hostel is directly next to the Kings Cross subway station, so you don't have to be walking around the neighborhood if you don't want.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo