“Awful”

Ranked #12 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I did leave the booking till late and could only find this hotel. The room smelt of bleach, the joinery unit protruded from the wall, the iron hardly worked, the TV was tiny, no powerpoints, the A/C unit rattled so much there was no use leaving it on. At $300 a night is was a rip off. Ok staff seemed friendly enough but "POSH' it aint.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Kevin G
poshhotel, Front Office Manager at Posh Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Posh Hotel and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences whilst staying with us.

I have personally investigated the issues raised in your correspondence and have taken appropriate action to prevent the re-occurrence of the incident.

Further to our investigation of your concern, I was notified that you wanted a early check in which will explain the cleaning agents smell.

In reference to the iron it seems to be in working order. Our TV is the advertised size of 32" flat Plasma, the power points also available in many corners of the room especially under the table where there is a multi-plug.

Inside the room, you will find our hotel compendium stating all the facilities we have to offer including all of the above mentioned.

We apologize if you weren’t informed about this upon check in.

I appreciate you taking time to give us your feedback and once again apologise for what happened.

If you have any further concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I look forward to ensuring your next stay with us is more enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

small hotel with large rooms! the rooms were really big and for the price we actually got a really big king size bed! price was also affordable so sharing a bath room with oters didnt really matter as there are more than one bathroom ava at all times

paid online do didnt have payment problems like the other guy

room was clean and location was good

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

It was lovely to read that you found the hotel room to be clean and comfortable.

We greatly value all guest feedback as I believe this encourages our team to continually improve services and facilities offered to our guests.

Again thanks for your review.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Dreadful! When we checked in the credit card machine didn't work and we were repeatedly asked if we wanted to "pay in cash." When we refused, the credit card payment miraculously went through. The communal kitchen counter and communal bathroom floors were crawling with roaches. At one point as I lay in bed I could see the roaches crawling through the crack under our door (the kitchen was on the other side). The floors of our room, the kitchen and bathrooms were very dirty with large clumps of hair scattered about. It was such an awful experience we left early and found lodging elsewhere that was much nicer for the same price.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
1 Thank MCWNM

It saddens me to see for any inconvenience and discomfort that may have been caused to you during your stay.

In reference to this problem at Check in, the Telstra land line was interrupted for a period of 3 hours that day, resulting to a EFTPOS terminal without any signal, this was rectified ASAP by the techs.

We have since re altered the housekeeping procedures and rectified the housekeeping faults.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Having read some of if the reviews here after booking thru another site with all rave reviews, we approached our stay with a little trepidation. To counter the flame job below, i am also an industry traveler and am traveling 20+ weeks a year. I'm an elite member if several corp hotel chains, but when i travel for pleasure, i try to
stay somewhere "local".
We were happy to find the reception at the Posh extremely friendly and helpful. We were a little early but as our room was available they checked us right in. The riom was spotlessly clean and as we has booked "ensuite", were happy to find towels bath mats shampoos bodywash and bar soap along with complimentary toothbrush and toothpaste kits. There is even a stocked mini bar. The hotel is very convienently located near central station which provides a free bus (#555) to the ferries at circular quay. The have plug converters at the front desk you can borrow if you dont have the right gear. If you dont pony up for an ensuite room tge shared bathrooms are right next to the elevator so i suppose if sime guest had an issue in there it might temporarily waft into the elevator, but thats just biology and very juvinile of the previous reviewer to try and make it more than it was. For a small hotel i'd give it 4/5. For I'd give it 5/5. Hope you get tge chance to see for yourself.

1 Thank jschirm
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about the Posh Hotel.

We are happy you found our service very pleasing and location was excellent.

Being close to Darling Harbour, Central Station, Broadway, Fish Markets, Casino and the Universities is one of the main features of our Hotel.

I will refer your pleasant feed back to our housekeeping team and I assure you that it has been a really encouraging review and we will pride to continuously provide quality and clean room at Posh Hotel.

Again, thank you for your stay at Posh Hotel Sydney, we hope to see you at your next stay.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Calling itself “posh” could be the hotel’s greatest mistake. It’s neither posh nor a hotel.

Posh Hotel is in fact a hostel. No decent hotel worth its salt would have rooms with shared bathrooms. Fortunately, we booked 2 nights stay at this place with full knowledge of its hostel-like facilities. It probably would fare pretty badly as a hotel, but as a hostel, it’s good enough.

The lady at the reception was friendly, and gave us several suggestions on where to go after checking-in. It is a simple hostel with a small communal area outside the rooms (under-utilized during my stay there), the water dispenser was faulty but that’s not much of a problem. The room itself was spacious but furnished minimally. However, the room was clean and so were the bathrooms. Some hostels’ bathrooms can be poorly maintained, but the ones at Posh Hotel were kept clean (could be due to the low occupancy).

All in all, it was a good stay. And for its great location – just a stone’s throw away from Central station, you could probably give this a try. Just do not expect hotel-level quality from here.

2 Thank Justin S
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in the king share bathroom and it was huge compared with near by hotels!

clean and straight forward

It was also well priced

receptionest was really nice for letting me leave luggage free till 4pm

did not get what the previous reviews was on about, dont think it is that bad

Room Tip: book earlier
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank killara989898
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

I had a completely horrid experience at this place. I urge you to NOT even consider it.
Most bad experiences with hotels are unfortunate, but almost always, the hotel staff and/or management does something to alleviate the situation -- but NOT so here (bar one tiny concession). This is the first time i've had such an awful experience, that I've felt compelled to tell others to avoid a place. Unfortunately, this place warrants it.

My background: I travel for work, and am away from home most weeks... For example, have stayed in around 20 or so different hotels in 7 countries in the last year.

This "Posh" "Hotel" was anything but…

* Firstly, money was taken up-front -- no normal hotel does this. Usually, they take an imprint of your card (with perhaps a small hold) and you pay upon check-out. Not so here. It would seem that these "Posh" people take your money straight away to make sure you have no room to manoeuvre later on -- they KNOW how bad their service is, so they take your money to ensure you have little chance to get any of it back.

* Bed -- Was a nightmare; not even a real bed, but some weird quasi-futon-on-the-floor sort of deal; HARD as a rock (left me with little sleep, and constantly cut-off circulation in various limbs). Total deal breaker.

* Pillows -- Really poor, overused, totally uncomfortable, and pretty much the worst I've experienced (the ONLY thing they actually fixed, on the 2nd night -- i.e. the above-mentioned tiny concession).

* Staff -- One or two people were nice; the rest rude, short-mannered and very unprofessional in temper.

* Tea/coffee -- Absolutely, the poorest tea/coffee factilities i've seen in any hotel bar NONE. No milk, not even the fake stuff, nothing to stir with (no spoons, not even a plastic or wooden stick), a couple of powdered coffee sachets and the tea was merely a few loose "Lan Choo" bags stuffed in a glass. I've stayed at a lot of 3-star places, but this kind of "service" is just an insult.

* Chair -- There was 1 rather odd "lounge chair" in the room, but nothing else. No stool, no desk chair, giving nowhere to work.

* Towels -- A couple of bath towels were provided, on the first night. Period. No bathroom mat, no hand towel, no hand washers. Never seen a first-world "hotel" bathroom more scarce.

* Lift -- smelled like faeces. Very unpleasant. Also, said odour emanated through the hallways on my floor. Perhaps due to "public"/shared bathroom next to lift. But it wasn't like this just once, but most times i used the lift.

Absolutely pathetic.

But still, I decide to try and give them a bit of lee-way, and a chance to redeem themselves.

My stay was 4 nights -- after the first night, I asked if I could move rooms or if there was different bedding or anything because I COULD NOT SLEEP. I was told no (apart from the pillows) -- so I told them "I can only to stay here 1 more night". And I booked the last 2 nights of my 4 night trip elsewhere nearby (almost the same price, 10x the quality).

Even though, i told them i was moving after the 1st night i was there, they would not refund me any of the rest of the stay. I was told "if we can sell the room on the last night (right before a long weekend, so no doubt they did) we'll give you *half* the night's charge back. They did not.

And even after multiple emails and calls, the manager couldn't be bothered trying to come to any sort of arrangement or even offer an apology.

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.

And a generally horrible hotel.

DO. NOT. STAY. HERE.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank AshNTAP
Thank you for your recent stay at Leisure Inn Sydney Central and for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences whilst staying with us. We greatly value all guest feedback as I believe this helps us to continually improve services and facilities offered to our guests.

*In reference to the booking, you have booked online and had taken a early bird booking with a 37% discount on top of the hot deals price. This is a no refundable booking confirmed.

*If any adjustments of dates changes, from your scheduled were to be made, we would appreciate it if it was not notified on the date of check in, as you have booked 2 month in advance. We would really appreciated if you had informed us anytime earlier.

*We were also notified that you had a invalid credit card that was declined at check in.

*Beds at Posh Hotel are fairly new and from other recent reviewers that had not been reflected at all.

*Apologies for the pillows we hope the second contour of the pillow was comfortable.

*Our staff had been retrained to handle matters differently on the day of check in as your requests were unable to be approved by the shift receptionist

*please refer to our hotels manual provided in each room about our complementary tea and coffee facilities as it is all provided on our rooms. We apologize if you weren’t informed about this upon check in.

*In every of our rooms there are cube leather ottomans which are chairs for the tables/desks provide, some room even had a dining table set.

*In our standard room amenities pack there is 2 towels, bath mat, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner and also a tooth brush kit

In regards to the air-conditioning valve, we have inspected the room which you stayed in as soon as you checked out to ensure that this will not happen in the future.

I appreciate you taking time to give us your feedback and once again apologies for what happened.