“Great intro to Sydney.”

Bike Buffs - Sydney Bicycle Tours
Ranked #24 of 272 Outdoor Activities in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: We would love to show you this sparkling harbour city from the engaging perspective of a small group guided bicycle tour. This is a fun, invigorating and memorable way to explore Sydney, away from vehicles with heaps of photo opportunities. "This was by far the best and most personal tour we did in Sydney, we loved having the freedom of a bicycle and a fun and educated tour guide. It was easy pedalling on excellent bikes, and we received cold spring water, a snack pack and best of all, a wonderful photo essay of our tour in our our inbox free of charge.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We took the tour the day after we arrived font the US. Great way to quickly see a lot of the most interesting things. Bikes were very good and Graeme is a great guide. Best part was the secret garden and detouring to the fish market for lunch. The first hill is the hardest, so you get that done quickly. My only "complaint" is that the pedestrians do not move for bikers, so there was a lot of weaving around, but that is just to beware, the bike trip is still a lot of fun!

All reviews
"tour leader"
"an excellent guide"
"leisurely pace"
in 11 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 17 reviews
"photo opportunities"
in 19 reviews
"small group"
in 18 reviews
"his knowledge"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a great tour and fantastic value for money. The best time to do this tour is in your first few days in Sydney as it really helps you find your footing along with providing some fantastic photo opps! The meeting point is really easy to find;that was one of my main concerns when I arrived in Bondi (where I was staying) - how would I find all the things that I'd booked! But public transport in Sydney is great and I just had to get 1 bus from the bottom of my road in North Bondi all the way to Circular Quay. From the bus stop in Circular Quay it's about a 5 minute walk, located behind the Museum of Contemporary Art. There are handy city maps dotted all over Sydney to help you find the road/landmark you need. When we arrived we were greeted by Graeme and he sorted us out with bikes, helmets, bottles of water and a snack pack each (filled with cheese & biscuits, a chocolate bar and an orange). We milled around for a while waiting for the rest of the group (there were 10 of us in total, which was a nice number and everyone was really friendly) and then we got on our way. Along the way Graeme stops every now and then to give you some historical facts on Australia and/or point out a fantastic photo opportunity. He's incredibly knowledgeable and has some great stories to tell, plus being a local means he knows all the cool places to stop off the beaten track where you can get some great angles of the opera house, Harbour Bridge etc. From the meeting point you cycle over the Harbour Bridge, around Luna Park and to a cool little place called 'Helen's Secret Garden' which I don't think many people know about. It's a beautiful garden tucked away in the wildlife with lots of little picnic tables dotted around where we saw a few people enjoying a picnic for their lunch with a bottle of wine. It really is a lovely place, and I was so surprised that it doesn't seem to have suffered any vandalism at all; no graffiti etc, which you unfortunately see so much of in London. Anyway, this is where you stop for your snack pack and you get to have a bit of a chat with the rest of the group while you appreciate the beautiful surroundings. This is a great example of one of the places you'll see on the tour that you perhaps wouldn't have discovered otherwise, and one you'll probably want to go back to again with a picnic and some wine!

Next it was along to Darling Harbour with lots of sights and a few pic/info stops along the way, and that's where we stopped for lunch (not included in tour). They have a big food court there with a wide selection of restaurants. This was my only very slight disappointment with the tour - I would have liked to have been taken to a cool restaurant somewhere that only the locals knew about. However, I can appreciate that can be difficult when you have a group of different tastes to cater for, and in our case there were 2 kids on our tour hankering for a McD's! We went with Graemes recommendation and ate at a Thai restaurant, which was very nice.

After lunch came a few hill climbs on the bikes! They're not too severe and the bikes are good quality so they do a lot of the work for you. Graeme also helps those out who need it by letting you know when to change gears to make your ride easier. You certainly don't have to be super fit to enjoy this tour, or a keen cyclist. I'm neither and I found it a breeze even whilst jet-lagged! It is a very leisurely cycle with lots of stops and very little riding on the road. The few roads we did ride on were generally very quiet ones. As a city Sydney seems to really promote cycling as a means of transport so there are plenty of cycle routes (and even free bike pumps dotted around! Not that you need to worry about that on this tour as Graeme sorts any bike problems).

So we then cycled on to the Opera House, Hyde Park, the Botanical Gardens and back to the meeting point where we said our goodbyes. The entire tour took 5 hours and 20 minutes from 11am - 16:20 but that factors in a lot of stops. All in all I can't recommend this tour enough, as fantastic value for money and a fun and unique way to see the sights of Sydney and learn a little bit of the history.

PS All the pics Graeme takes on tour he'll email to you afterwards for free. This may seem like a small gesture but given that almost every other tour/activity company seem to charge you at least £10 per photo of yourself as an extra money spinner, and Graeme doesn't just offers another example of the fantastic customer service and value for money that you can expect on this tour.

1  Thank Spu86
Reviewed April 8, 2013

That Graeme is a good egg (I don't care what Tanya says!! ;) and his tour is a great way to see the area and get acquainted with Sydney. The city itself is beautiful, clean and very safe. Graeme is a good representative of the city and he makes the day very enjoyable with stories and goofy photo opportunities. A very good way to spend a day in Sydney.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We wondered if it would be worth paying for a guided tour - couldn't we navigate around Sydney ourselves, but were persuaded by Graeme to join him. And we loved it: we saw so much more than we would have done if we'd have just hired bikes! Of course he takes you to all the well-known places. But he also includes other sights that you simply wouldn't have known about if you didn't tag along with the bike buffs.
The ride is easy: it's not that far, and there are many stops on the way. But you really need to book in advance: Bike Buffs doesn't have a shop, and you meet Graeme when he gets out of his pickup that is loaded with bikes. We hadn't booked, and he was good enough to go back to get some more bikes for us, but I wouldn't guarantee it!
We only had one day in Sydney. I think we saw more of the city on the bikes than we could have done if we took any other tour.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went on the Bike Buffs tour of Sydney early in March with two girlfriends and as with the other reviews here, we enjoyed seeing parts of Sydney that we would never have found ourselves. We all enjoyed the ride over the Harbour bridge and around the bay to the secret garden. However, in the afternoon our ride around Darling harbour and the Opera House was all on very crowded footpaths and many of the pedestrians were unimpressed by this group of cyclists on the footpath - I would have to say several of us were also uncomfortable being on the footpath. I am not sure if this happens on all tours as no-one else has mentioned it? It may have been because we had a family with their 8 year old daughter with us - I am not sure.
Loved all the photos that we were emailed the next day so a great record of our day cycling in Sydney. And we did have fun in the morning, but not so much in the afternoon.

GraemeBIKEBUFFS, Owner at Bike Buffs - Sydney Bicycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Good on you for taking time out to write a REVIEW, we really appreciate it.
It's really good for us to show you all the special places.
When we have children under 12 on tour we are permitted to ride on the footpaths , and for their (the children's) safety, and our peace of mind, we do.
With best wishes