“Great staff, perfect location”

Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #53 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Brasilia, DF
“Great staff, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Apart from the excellent location (one can walk from the hotel basically to everywhere that matters in central Sydney), the hotel offers a very pleasant environment and a totally helpful staff. I stayed for 6 nights in a standard room and I did not find any bad things to say (well, maybe they could do a better job in cleaning the dust in the room - I have the impression that they do not clean the furniture properly). As a guest, I had complimentary access to the gym one block away from the hotel - an excellent gym, by the way! Free wifi is really a treat and works perfectly. I did not order things from the cafe, but it was always busy, so I guess it offered good food / drinks. If you are here looking for a nice place to stay, I guess you will not have to search further.

Room Tip: I called in advance to let then know that I am a light sleeper and they assigned me a very quiet roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear CHG_Brasilia,

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us! It is a shame that you didn't have the opportunity to try anything from our little espresso bar, but it's a good reason for you to come and visit again!

Thank you for your feedback regarding the cleanliness of your room. We have used your comments in our weekly refresher training to ensure our high standards are maintained at all times.

Please feel free to contact us directly at any time when you are returning to Sydney; we love to welcome back familiar faces! Stay well until then.

The Park8 Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel on the corner of Castlereagh and Park Streets is well situated near Hyde Park, George Street, and Pitt Street Mall for shopping. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, and provided excellent service. The foyer is very small with an adjoining mini cafe / bar - all quite cozy and ambient. Unfortunately we missed out on Happy Hour the day we arrived! The room we stayed in is modern and clean and I LOVED the oversized shower head! The king size bed was very comfortable, and I liked that there was a crisp white doona cover rather than a grubby bed spread. I personally found the pillows to be quite flat and wonder about the quality or whether it is time to replace them with new ones. There are block out blinds and curtains, so the room remained really dark in the morning - great for anyone who enjoys a sleep in. I am a light sleeper, so was bothered by the street noise on the first night. Sydney is a city that doesn't stop! I bought some ear plugs and that helped a lot. Overall, this is a hotel without frills, such as newspapers, cable TV, or gym, but what it does offer is done really well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MarycA61
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear MarycA61,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! It was a pleasure to host you and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

What a shame that you missed out on our Happy Hour! It's only a new initiative in the hotel, so we are super excited that you mentioned it. Make sure you call us directly when you next visit so that we can schedule Happy Hour during your stay (we don't operate it every day yet, but hopefully in the future we will be able to!).

You are not the first guest to mention the pillows and we will be updating them throughout the hotel. Please also remember that you can call reception at any time with any requests or concerns - we can easily assist with issues such as replacement of pillows as they arise, to ensure a comfortable stay for you. We also have sleeping aids available at reception so always ask us before purchasing such things; it's highly likely we will already have it available at the hotel for you!

We do have Foxtel channels available in all rooms, and complimentary passes available to the nearby Fitness First gym - just enquire at reception during your next stay and we will happily provide further details. The Daily Telegraph and The Australian newspapers are available from the cafe for our guests as well. We do apologise that these extra services were not explained to you during your stay, but you will definitely be able to enjoy them all next time!

We are really looking forward to welcoming you back and hope that life treats you well until we next see you.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Perfect location, clean & comfortable. The front staff are helpful and friendly. The location is good for shopping and perfect for Sydney's transport system with train stations close by in all directions.We had a great time here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank beach3934
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear beach3934,

It was our pleasure to host you and we are so grateful for your kind words!

We love to welcome back familiar faces and would be delighted if you contacted our 24/7 reception desk when you are next travelling to Sydney so that we can look after you with great rates and any special preferences.

We hope that the trip home was a comfortable and stress-free one, and we shall look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Porvoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I chose this hotel after looking at several options in Tripadvisor. I'm glad I could join all these complimenting people :) The front staff was really friendly, helpfull and professional, I can only wish we had the same kind in Finland! They're all in the right profession!

My room was big enough (I stayed alone, so the doublebed was huge :D ) and it was absolutely clean, like the bathroom (I had a shower). My room didn't have a window, which was kind of a bummer. My friend was staying in a room with a window (at the same time) and she said I had the better deal, because the street was pretty noisy. I didn't hear a thing.

I opened a bottle of water on the desk, thingking it wasn't part of the minibar (the hotel seemed so fancy I thought they offered it), only to realise later I did have to pay for it. My bad.

The location was awesome! Near the Hyde Park, near train station, near Monorail stop - all about one block away! To me it was also a walking distance from the Sydney Opera House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Delenna
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Delenna,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are very happy that we lived up to your expectations in every way.

Our Standard rooms do all have the frosted windows ensuring maximum privacy and noise control - they are perfect for single travellers and we are so glad you enjoyed it!

We always encourage guests to contact us directly with reservation enquiries, that way we can do our best to accommodate requests such as higher floor allocations for lighter sleepers (the Sydney CBD can indeed be quite vibrant at times!). For anyone who is concerned about street noise we would definitely recommend our split-level level Loft Apartments which are on the top floor of our hotel and very quiet.

Please let us know when you are next planning to visit Sydney so that we can look after you with the best possible rates. We love to welcome back familiar faces and look forward to having you with us again!

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Perfect location, outstanding service, very clean apartment. The front staff are very courteous and profestional. They are definitely a credit to the organisation. As mentioned location is perfect for all those who wish to shop all day and perfect for Sydney's transport system with train stations close by in all directions and taxis just around the corner.. Its also great to walking to all the great restaurants Sydney has to offer. A real bonus is the 24 hour coffee from their attached coffee shop... and it's real coffee. That in itself is worth the stay. When in Sydney next staying here is a must if you want all you expect from a hotel. Could'nt fault it.

Room Tip: If you are offered the upgrade take it. its not that much more and worth it. Make sure you have thei...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KiwiStevechch,

We were so excited by your kind words - thank you for such a shining review!

It is wonderful that you enjoyed the coffee from our espresso bar, Cafe8. We are truly lucky to have such a wonderful little extra service for our guests (and ourselves! In fact, we're indulging in a macchiato and spaghetti & cheese jaffle for lunch right now - yum!).

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Park8 Hotel and remember that our reception is 24/7 so we are here to help with reservation enquiries at any time.

Moruya, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am a Aussie who travel between Tokyo and Sydney and work in the hotel industry. Every aspect of Sydney hotels are well below the standard that of Tokyo Hotels. So I try to compare to Park8 to the Sydney Hilton. The difference is the price , u pay more for the same standard u receive at the Hilton so that means u should stay at the Park8 and pay less and the Hilton is only a block away in location.
Johno-San

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank 50johno
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear Johno-San,

It's always great to hear the thoughts of a fellow industry person and we are so happy to see that you rated our service as a 5/5!

We pride ourselves on delivering a wonderful, personalised experience for our guests and offering a unique boutique product.

We would love to have you back with us in the future and invite you to contact our friendly 24/7 reservations desk to enquire about great value deals that offer throughout the year.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This was an easy choice given the central location within 1 block of Town Square train station and 1/2 block of Hyde Park (great for walking or a morning run).

My huge corner room, 403, was bright and airy with a gorgeous deep bathtub. It was a bit noisy but had double pane windows that help a bit. Check out is at Noon which helps when you're traveling for business.

Good equipment in the room - safe, iron, fridge, coffee/tea making, desk, etc. All the normal things one needs when traveling. Bed was a bit squishy for me but nonetheless I slept well.

Front desk help was superb - warm, friendly, and professional. Great first impressions.

Only concern was when I came out of my room and found a woman wandering the halls looking for an Accountant's office (which was 1 block away according to the business card she was holding). Not sure how she got onto the floor given the security swipe card required to get to a particular floor. Her story seemed a bit off and I did wonder....and made sure I had my valuables in the safe or with me from then on.

Then, housekeeping came in the following day without knocking thinking I had checked out. Good thing I was dressed! He seemed sincerely apologetic and probably just needs a bit of training to knock 2x and call out "housekeeping" before entering. Might be a good thing to check the guest list to confirm check-out. Yes, I had the lock on the door but it didn't work. No harm done though.

I travel all the time for work and these two events will put me off staying at the hotel again on my own. However, I would book it for when my husband and I are in Sydney.

Room Tip: 403 - large corner room with a nice partial view of the Park.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank VCD1
Dear VCD1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your room!

We are most grateful that you bought that odd incident regarding the woman on level 2 to our attention. It appears that she gained access via the elevator with some other guests who were returning to their room on level 2. We do often get people at our property looking for the well hidden accountants office (located just on the other side of our neighbouring post office), so it is not unusual to hear that she was a little lost, but it is highly unusual that she gained access to one of our levels. Our 24/7 reception desk will be sure to continue to closely monitor all entries and exits to the hotel with this instance in mind.

Similarly, thank you for you notes regarding the housekeeping intrusion. They do indeed have a list of occupied rooms and this was, unfortunately, a simple case of human error. You are very kind to note how apologetic the staff member was and all we can do is extend our most sincere apologies again, and assure you that we have reiterated to our housekeeping team the importance of attention to detail to avoid this happening again!

It is such a shame that these instances have affected your confidence in our property but we are so happy that you will return with your partner - maybe then we can mend the relationship and make you feel secure once again.

Stay well until your next visit!