“Great Night in the City”
Review of Park8 Hotel Sydney

Park8 Hotel Sydney
Ranked #69 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We live close to Sydney and decided to treat ourselves to a room for a night out instead of having to deal with taxis and transport!

We weren't disappointed with our choice. We stayed in a loft room which was lovely. It had a large spa-shaped bath and the size of the whole apartment was impressive. The bed was comfortable however the pillows were not. The pillows were very thin and there was no selection of pillows. The only problem was our air conditioner. It made a lot of noise every time to compressor kicked in (about every 10 minutes!). Between the air conditioner and the pillows we unfortunately didn't get a very good nights sleep.

The staff were incredibly friendly (even smiling when we requested more towels at 3am!).

The location is fantastic. A short walk from everywhere we wanted we to go.

We would stay here again, after checking that the air conditioning is working quietly!

Room Tip: The loft apartments are lovely and spacious.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2012

Dear Mikaila D,

It was so lovely for us to read your kind words and we are really delighted that you enjoyed your time at Park8 Hotel.

We genuinely appreciate the important feedback regarding the pillows and the air conditioning unit. We have scheduled an air-conditioning maintenance inspection to check all of the loft rooms and follow up on the compressor noise that you mentioned. Our housekeeping team are also checking the quality of our pillows throughout the whole hotel, providing replacements as required.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Park8 Hotel and we will be more than happy to check the above items in your room prior to check-in to ensure the best possible stay!

Take care until we next see you.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Well I hope that Mercedes will post this review. I want to address a few issues I faced when I decided to give Park8 a try. My friend and I travel to Sydney regularly and we decided to change from our normal hotel so I found Park 8 on the internet and was happy with what I saw. I rang the hotel four times and was reassured that the rooms were of an excellent standard. When we arrived I was shocked at how dusty and dirty the hotel was and how much the rooms needed renovating. Cracked paint and mould in the bathrooms, a strong smell of old alcohol and smoke from downstairs ... Oh yes this boutique hotel sits above a pub. When I inform the staff (Hugo and Mercedes ) that I wouldn't be staying there ... Hugo disappeared and then Mercedes took over( and from the conversation) I felt she had done this before ... I asked for a refund and finally was reassured that I would get a full refund of my money so as to did accommodation in a more suitable hotel . I have jut discovered they have kept a nights ccommodation from my account and I am saddened as
She reassured me that they were sobbusy they would fill the room
immediately. We asked them to hold the room until 4 pm as it was 3:15pm and she informed us that she would but inwe didn't contact her by then they would give to other customers .We were able to secure the HIlton hotel for $199 which was cheaper than Park8 we were paying $255 for a run down dusty hotel for a 5star luxury room at the Hilton. So Mercedes I would appreciate the return of my money as what you say your hotel is on the Internet is very misleading .

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Honestythebestpolicy
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Dear honestythebestpolicy,

We really appreciate the time you have taken to post this review and the fact that you even remembered us by name. We share two of the exact same sentiments; 1) that honesty is always the best policy indeed; and 2) that of complete shock.

It is a real shame that, in spite of our best efforts to accommodate your multiple requests and having provided a complimentary early check-in, we were unable to provide a wonderful stay for you. However, we are glad to hear that you found alternative accommodation and ended up enjoying your time in Sydney.

After you advised that you were not satisfied with the view from the room, it was agreed with you that we would keep the room as a confirmed booking for the first night (at a very special rate) because you were concerned about finding another hotel. You also asked that we hold the second night for you which Mercedes agreed to do until 4pm that afternoon. You went out and then called the hotel twice to reconfirm that you held a confirmed booking for the first night at a special rate and that we were holding the room for the second night until 4pm. On both occasions, this was clearly reconfirmed. Accordingly, you were indeed charged for the first night's accommodation. The second night was released at 4pm without penalty as agreed.

We wish you all the best for the future.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Let me say it was great to see such a beautiful smiling face on arrival at your hotel. And the smiling still followed through even from the Manager at 4am return. I've been in the indusrty for over 20 yrs and have travelled alot, so it was very reassuring to see that our hospitality workers are doing their bit in keeping Austrailian tourism alive. After all we all want to feel like we are home when travelling, what better way then a friendly smile and a chat.. Also the location and room where spot on.. (but we can get that anywhere) Top marks for such pleasant staff...

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chatterbox2012
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Chatterbox2012,

At Park8 Hotel, we genuinely love what we do and thrive on interaction with our valued guests. It is so rewarding to receive such a lovely review.

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback. We will be ready and waiting with giant smiles and friendly chatter to welcome you back on your next trip to Sydney.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

At around $200, you could do a lot worse than Park8 for a bed for the night.
Very friendly reception staff. Clean room.
A bit noisy outside but it is low rise in the CBD.
For the money, I couldn't complain at all.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Imqaretman,

We are really happy that you enjoyed your time with us and grateful for you taking the time to provide your feedback. We definitely cannot complain about a 4/5 rating! Thank you so much.

The whole team is looking forward to welcoming you back one day and hope that you stay well until then.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Excellent location, walking distance to Darling Harbour, Rocks/Circular Quay, Chinatown. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions on restaurants, places to go, etc. Definite kudos to the staff!

The room itself was small by American standards. I was travelling with a friend and we had (2) twin beds - it was a good thing we're friends and didn't mind the proximity to one another too much but it was definitely close quarters for sure.

Con: no drawers in our room which made unpacking a bit of a pain. Plenty of hanging space but since we were there for four nights, I would have liked to been able to unpack more. Unfortunately, the room was so small, I don't know where a bureau would have gone anyhow. Bathroom was a decent size but the shower did not drain that well. Yes, the lift was a bit slow but nothing that hindered our stay. Our room looked out onto Castlereagh so it was a little noisy at times. Nothing ear plugs can't fix.

While we were there, another friend stayed in a king-bed sized room and it was a good space, bigger bathroom and the layout seemed more efficient.

Overall, great little place. A bit on the pricey side for the size and overall accommodations of the room (the most expensive of our entire trip) but I'm guessing competitive for Sydney.

Can't complain about the location!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SCTraveler91
Park8Hotel, Manager at Park8 Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Dear SCTraveler95,

Thank you for the kudos! We really appreciate the lovely things you've said about our team in your review and feel very proud indeed.

We really do have an excellent, central location and it's great to note that you enjoyed every minute of it. We are always happy to help with recommendations and directions at our 24 hour reception and invite all guests to spend some time with us so we can ensure you make the most of your time in Sydney.

Our luxurious rain shower heads do provide a lot of high-pressure waterfall, which makes for a lovely shower I am sure you'll agree! Your valuable comments regarding the shower drainage were passed on to our Maintenance and Management teams for investigation and consideration in future development of the hotel.

It is great that you had the opportunity to see two of our different room types during your stay, being the Standard room you were in and the Deluxe room of your friends. All of our rooms are king bed rooms (unless requested as single twins) and very comfortable, but when you next stay with us you will have a good idea of which will best suit your individual needs.

We hope you enjoyed your entire trip thoroughly and look forward to welcoming you back to Park8 Hotel when you next visit Sydney. Take care until that time.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed at the Park 8 during the super busy and super expensive Mardi Gras weekend. The room was booked a few months in advance for $145/night which is a great rate for that weekend.

On walking through the front door you're struck by the very small size of the reception area - there really are no facilities at the hotel - just the in house coffee shop - it's all about the rooms.

The room and bathroom were both very large and nicely decorated. The bed was fantastic - very, very comfortable. Our 4th floor room overlooked the busy Park St but I didn't find noise an issue at all. There was a bar fridge in the room and if asked I believe the hotel will stock it with minibar items. We bought some beers then realised there was no bottle opener provided - so bring your own! It would be nice for the hotel to include even a cheap, throwaway one in the event guests decide to take it home! The hotel can also order in from local eateries and deliver to the room which is a nice service.

There is plenty going on around the hotel...it's very close to the Westfield Sydney shopping centre, takeaway food options and a couple of gyms - the hotel gives out complimentary passes to the Fitness First Park Street.

Special mention to the front desk staff who were really expectional throughout - very willing to help out with info on local amenities and just generally helpful & fun!

Would definitely look to stay at the Park 8 next time!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My family and I recent stayed at the Park8 Hotel on Castlereagh Street. I cannot rave enough about the location. Just a few metres up the road is the Westfield Shopping Plaza which comes out at Pitt Street Mall. We stayed in a standard room and unfortunately I think we had the worst room in the hotel (Room 508). Tucked away in the corner of the hotel this room was small, dark and needs renovating to bring it back up to the standard of the rest of the hotel. Other family members stayed in standard rooms on alternate floors and had beautiful rooms which I would have expected from this hotel. Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful. A great little coffee shop located in the foyer of the hotel for coffee lovers. I did have an issue where I was charged a different room rate upon check-out from what I had confirmed, however this was sorted once brought to their attention. I would recommend this hotel, however make sure you dont stay in 'Room 508'!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in Room 508
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family