“Outstanding”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Drenched in bright colour and bold imagery, with a fast-paced and energetic atmosphere much like the streets of the Mexico, MEXICO Food and Liquor in Surry Hills, celebrates the vibrant, fresh and lighter side of Mexican cuisine. Delicious tacos, quesadillas, margaritas, and over 80+ premium tequilas on the menu.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Mexico's Service outstanding. A smallish restaurant, be prepared to wait but you will be treated well. Staff wonderful, and food very good

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We dined at Mexico food & liquor along with 14 other friends. The food, drinks, price & service were below average. We all had to dine somewhere else after our banquet... poor value for money. Our wait staff were rude & conceited. The only thing positive about our experience was the company. We won't be back.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

The location is great right next to Central Station, and the decor is fantastic with loads of retro posters and nice rustic laidback feel. I only wish they spent enough time on food and service as they did with the restaurant itself.

I ordered the pork quesadilla and I have to admit it was pretty bland. The menu said it contained cumin and almonds, but I couldn't taste either. I had a side of patatas bravas which was nice and crisp, but when a side dish is better than the main it's not ideal. The 3 different hot sauces on the table were a saviour and quite nice, but I needed them just to get some flavour. I really hope I just chose the wrong dish. I'd be willing to return to try the tacos which at $7 each is quite cheap, or one of the seafood dishes.

While I wasn't in a hurry to leave, I was there at Friday 5pm with only 2 or 3 other tables occupied yet the service was still a touch slow even though I saw 3 service staff walk past at different times. While the 2 girls were lovely and friendly (I only saw the male waiter for 5 seconds), I wouldn't want to be there when it was busy. Drinks were also very expensive. 330mL bottles of beer at $9 to $12 weren't a good option when 2 pubs literally outside the front door were selling $6 schooners. Prices of cocktails / Mexican spirits / liqueurs were astronomical so I didn't bother. I realise this is a speciality that would be hard to find anywhere else in the city and the drinks menu was massive, but I would only pay for those drinks as a one-off.

I don't mean to be picky, but when there are so many other Mexican options in the CBD you need to be competitive to draw in customers. If you walk 5 minutes through the other side of the Devonshire Street tunnel at Mad Mex you can score a far tastier meal at a lower price and with faster service. That's where I'll be going next time. Even a trip down to King St Newtown wouldn't be out of the question.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

It was going so well. Margaritas (good), Tacos (good). As I tried to get another set of Margaritas I looked towards the bar and realised some of the bar and floorstaff were standing at the bar smashing Tequila shots! It all went down hill from there, our waitress disappeared, a whole bunch of loud American frat kids were allowed to virtually stand on our table, we were close to the bar, whilst playing loud drinking games. I was still hungry but could not find a waiter, I could not hear my wife and a random tequila order we did get in with some dude never arrived! In the end we got up and asked for the bill at the reception, I just could not be bothered to wait any longer. The food was pretty ok, the margaritas were nice but I needed a shed load to pass the time and the service was out of this world terrible.....
Serve your customers, not yourselves..
Plenty of other Mexicans in Sydney, I suggest you try one.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Really good food and atmosphere. I love the decor on the walls. I think the theme is celebrating death. Food is good, different and quirky. I love haberneros so was very impressed with their hot sauce which I added to every dish. The place is packed and you may need to wait but well worth it.