“Absolute must do in Sydney”

Sydney Architecture Walks
Ranked #53 of 272 Outdoor Activities in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are architects and we want to share Sydney with you. We organise intimate walking and bicycle tours that are open to the general public. We also arrange private / customised architectural tours and itineraries on request. Taking the form of a series of urban provocations, our conversations are straightforward and jargon-free exercises in story telling. Aimed at the expert-enthusiast, we want you to understand the 'why' of the city whilst exploring the most provocative and daring projects Sydney houses; works of architecture, public art and landscape that inspire and delight but also projects that reveal something of Sydney's grimy pulse. We are interested in ideas and in the drivers of city; the vibrant network of invisible forces - political, cultural, economic and environmental that give the city form. Get stung by architecture. Sydney will never look the same again. Promise!
Reviewed June 10, 2013

"We need to celebrate the imaginative, innovative and inspiring design that gives our city its personality" - Clover Moore - Lord Mayor of Sydney

Starting from the Museum of Sydney, this tour takes in the city from the site of the first Government House to Walsh Bay via the Rocks. It is a thoroughly engaging way to see the city for visitors and locals who, like me, think they know everything about Sydney. Our guide was Eoghan Lewis and he wove an intriguing tale of a city that grew through necessity rather than design. At Macquarie Place, we learnt of the reason why the city is devoid of people, at Circular Quay we looked at the original shoreline and in the Rocks we found a surprise art gallery. To tell you more would spoil the surprise that is the City of Sydney. Book this tour and be amazed!

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"his passion"
"visitors and locals"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 5 reviews
in 16 reviews
"tours"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went on the Harbour tour and really enjoyed it. We are Sydneysiders and know the area quite well, but we still both learnt a lot. It was an interesting route and our guide was very informative and professional. We recommend the tour highly.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I went on the five suburb bike tour last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it! It's nothing like a conventional guided tour but a very exciting engagement with the city, its architecture, history and current development. The tour is both suitable for tourists who want to discover Sydney away from its clichés as well as for Sydneysiders who want to experience their own city differently. The five and a half hours did not seem long at all. I can highly recommend this tour and would love to join one of the walking tours as well.

1  Thank Hannah B
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Last Sunday, instead of my usual walk along Bondi Beach, I joined the S.A.W.Derive 5 Suburb Bike Ride. It was such a pleasurable, entertaining and informative ride with Eoghan providing an insight to Sydney's architectural past & present from big, commercial buildings to the tiniest houses built on postage stamp bits of land. I had always wanted to ride around Redfern & Surry Hills but would not have ventured out on my own. With safety in numbers and such a relaxed and knowledgeable guide, taking the S.A.W. trip was just what I needed. You really do get a new perspective of the city and an appreciation of innovative architecture. It is also a great way to engage with like minded people from other places in Australia and from overseas.