“Entertaining and informative”

Sydney Architecture Walks
Ranked #47 of 240 Outdoor Activities in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are architects and we want to share our city with you. We organise intimate walking and bicycle tours that are open to the general public. We also arrange private / customised architectural tours and itineraries on request. Taking the form of a series of urban provocations, our conversations are straightforward and jargon-free exercises in story telling. Aimed at the expert-enthusiast, we want you to understand the 'why' of the city whilst exploring the most provocative and daring projects Sydney houses; works of architecture, public art and landscape that inspire and delight but also projects that reveal something of Sydney's grimy pulse. We are interested in ideas and in the drivers of city; the vibrant network of invisible forces - political, cultural, economic and environmental that give the city form. Get stung by architecture. Sydney will never look the same again. We promise!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Entertaining and informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

You certainly don't have to be a student of architecture to enjoy these walks, you only need an interest in your surroundings and a curiosity to learn. Having done two of the walks now, the Utzon and Harvourings, I can say that both my wife and myself thoroughly enjoyed them - and I think they work equally well for locals and tourists. It helps to have a beautiful sunny day (and we've been lucky on each day) but given the size of the groups and the accessibility of the content I can't see that the weather would take the edge off a thoroughly informative and entertaining way to spend 3 hours on a Sunday morning.

Visited July 2012

Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Entertaining, informative and thoroughly enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband and I did the Utzon walk last Sunday with Yowen, absolutely loved it and now want to do all the walks SAW offer. We learnt so much and I would recommend this walk to anyone who is interested in learning about Sydney architecture. The walk took almost 2.5 hours and we were all enthralled. I am not an architect but there were several architects in our group and we probably ranged in age from early 20 s to mid 60s and all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Thank you Yowen for sharing your passion.

Visited June 2012
Melbourne
“Fascinating and informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

We took the Utzon tour and couldn't have more impressed. Eoghan was an accomplished and passionate guide who inspired and informed us. I wondered if the tour would be a little out of my depth (I really don't now much about architecture), but the tour was jargon free and very easy to understand. My husband and I have been talking about what we learnt ever since. We will certainly do another of these tours on our return to Sydney. Thank you Eoghan.

Visited April 2012
Sydney
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Passionate, funny and engaging”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Okay, I am interested in architecture, but this is a great way to spend an hour and a half. I live in Sydney and had walked passed these buildings may times, but had never learned the stories behind them or examined the lobbies. Well worth it.

Visited April 2011
“The perfect induction into Sydney and the art of looking up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

An engrossing exploration of 'the conversations' between some of sydney's most important landmarks, with a focus on Italian virtuoso and renegade architect Lorenzo Piano and the relationship between buildings and their geographical and historical context.

In equal parts discussion and performance, and delivered by the snappily dressed and impassioned Eoghan Lewis, this tour was the perfect induction into sydney and the art of looking up.