“Great accommodations, staff meh”
Review of Bounce Sydney

Bounce Sydney
Ranked #3 of 144 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Bounce Sydney is one of the best options for backpacking accommodations in terms of location, amenities and comfort.

The building is conveniently located across from Central station granting access to all of Sydney and surrounding towns.

The building is very secure requiring key card access to each floor, bathroom and room.

Storage space is ample with large lockers with power strips inside.

The kitchen is fairly large with multiple storage cabinets and refrigerators.

The rooftop area is a great lounging space with bbq's often happening and other events.

The only real downside, and this is strictly speaking on a personal experience, was the less than friendly staff. They were not very accessible nor friendly, but it could have just been bad timing or my luck. This is by no means a deal breaker, but just something to note.

Bounce Sydney is renowned as one of the best hostels in Australia and rightly so. A great option for affordable lodging in Sydney.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Located right next to Central station we stayed in a private room with a queen bed, 1 set of bunks and a bathroom. Whilst small it was clean, well set out and quiet. The winner was the helpful girls at the desk and the location. A walk to the central station allowed you to go anywhere in Sydney and a little bit further took you to the throb of Darling Harbour. On the fourth floor was a lovely terraced area with great views. Sadly the night we were there it was raining. The majority of the occupants were young people (we are in the 50+ group) but there was plenty of spaces for everyone to 'hang'. Only downside is there is no parking connected to this venue. There is 1 hr parking out front and 4 hour parking a distance up the road. We will return but will forget the hire car next time.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Bounce was the first hostel me and my friend stayed in in when starting our trip up the east coast, it was slightly more expensive than the other hostels but totally worth it. It was very clean with great facility's a great location and helpful staff. I would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2014

First time backpackers (young couple), first time in a hostel (shared room). Location right outside central station. We arrived early after a long flight so were feeling expectantly tired and dirty. We walked into reception and where greeted by a friendly women who gave us a keycard (it's a great system) to the upstairs area and the bathrooms and also let us store out luggage until our room was ready. The rooms themselves where spotless huge great big lockers including plugs which is very handy. Although you will need your own lock for the lockers this was no problem for us at all. The bathrooms where again incredibly clean, with a male and female on each floor. The showers were perfect, your own lockable cubical with two areas one for your towel and then the shower itself. Easy to use very warm absolutely great!! Each floor has it's own space catered for different entertainment for example computers, library and on our floor a movie room. Moving on to the top area and living/kitchen space, the balcony with lots of seating areas had absolutely stunning views of the city. The kitchen area was so clean and everyone guests and staff made an effort to keep the whole place clean. The wifi system was a little annoying, and having to pay an extra 18 dollars for paying by card (processing fee) was a pain but the women on reception instead gave us two free 7 day wifi passes worth 50 dollars certainly made up for this. (Wifi is speedy)! An amazing stay, fell in love with sydney and should we ever get the opportunity to return (I hope so) we will certainly be returning to bounce. Also a quick mention to the night activities (hot dog, burger) ect. Brilliant and certainly a great way to save money. Didn't get the opportunity to go on any of the hostel nights out but can imagine again that it was a really good time. Thank you

1  Thank Danielhughes1
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed in an 8 bed female dorm - the room was clean and spacious, everybody had her own locker including a switch - great! Always able to charge the mobile or camera, unless somebody decides to take your adapter and charger as happened to me. So bring a lock along or two.
The hostel is located directly across Central station and it take about 10-12 minutes by bus to go to Circular Quay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Izzy1314
Reviewed February 11, 2014

MAIN CONCLUSION: if you are not a backpacker and are looking for a double room with ensuite forget the bounce, it is a hostel. Rooms are practically not serviced, you cannot open the windows, it is noisy, common areas like the terrace are not clean. For 150 dollar a night this is not at all good value for money. Below more details. I shared most of these comments with management before leaving.

MY EXPERIENCE: I stayed for 6 nights, I was supposed to stay another 6 nights but I cancelled my second booking via booking.com free of charge, moving to a proper hotel.

Upon arrival, after a few hours in the room (307, just below the kitchen area in the fourth floor) I started to notice an awful smell of cooked food and cigarette smoke. I put the a/c to the max but the situation did not improve so I went to the reception to complain. They came to my room to check and said that they could not move me immediately and to contact the manager the following morning (the staff member was not particularly friendly and he tried to deny the problem).

The following morning after an awful night I spoke with the managers. They were professional and helpful. I changed to room 105, one of the few available in the first floor.
The room was however noisy (street traffic and garbage collection in the early morning).

I appreciated the manager's gesture of giving me two breakfast vouchers for a nearby cafe for the inconvenience.

The following day I realized that the room had not been cleaned and after complaining I was told that I had to ask specifically for the room to be cleaned (otherwise they would only change the towel and empty the bin) but that day at 12.30 it was not possible anymore to get it cleaned. The day after the cleaning staff made the bed but they did not clean the bathroom at all and this was the case each single day, so the bathroom was never cleaned in 5 days!!! I gave up complaining and cancelled my second booking.

OTHER NEGATIVEs:

I did not use kitchen or common areas. I only tried to sit in the terrace and seats were filthy and tables full of ash trays and cigarette butts. I left immediately.

Some rooms face directly an opposite building giving you a feeling of being in a jail.

Given that no windows in the building can be opened the air quality is in my view very bad.

The internet connection was cut automatically with the sleep mode of my ipad and I had to re type the passwords continuously, very annoying.

Finally, paying by credit card you incur a 2.5% extra fee, in my case 22 dollars.

Any doubt left???

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Moreno R
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Comfy beds, good shared bathrooms, clean and spacious kitchen and social area, modern-looking carpeted bedrooms, large lockers in rooms. Had to pay for wifi. Seemed expensive for 4-share dorm but could just be the case in Sydney, I've only stayed in dorms in small towns in Aus before.