“CLASSIC CLUB WITH OUTSTANDING STAFF”

The Royal Automobile Club of Australia Accommodation
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
The Royal Automobile Club of Australia Accommodation
Ranked #29 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed May 20, 2013

As a reciprocal member stayed at the cub for 7 days while attending a Home show at Darling Harbour,I arrived very late on the first day but no problems checking in we took a Van to Sydney with all the show stock which was looked after by the guys in the garage well done.The team in the reception looked after me very well.The very friendly staff in the downstairs bar great. \the 7th floor dining room for breakfast and dinner is a must to do,in the morning to be greeted by a smile and great coffee seeing that I come from Melbourne that really does say how good the coffee was. At night the team again extremely good it plus the food is good as well.
As far as the rooms go yes they are small but anyone who has travel in Europe would understand,the rooms freshly made up very very clean with ensuite.
The location is just unreal you walk down thru the garage and right in front the ferries. I took a ferry each morning around to Darling Habour about 20 minutes some of the people at the show had to use taxis,for these people it took longer and 5 times the cost to travel the same distance as they stayed at places in the outer CBD not close to the Ferry.

The club has charm and is being upgraded while keeping the look,it needs support to keep a grand club alive.
I know that when in Sydney again i will stay .

Many Thanks

Room 607

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank obancas

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed as a reciprocal member here for a week, OK service and reception, nothing special but room was clean but very small. Staff varied from very good to average, I guess they had a lot of complaints during our stay as there were elevator breakdowns, a night fire alarm that went off forcing all tenants onto the street, and chronix internet breakdown. Nevertheless, breakfast was excellent, location second to none and with a few minor fixes this deserves a better grading next time. Would definitely come back again. A bit slanted but still feels like a home away from home.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I are members of one of their affiliates. We followed the protocol and provided all needed documentation way in advance so our full day of travel wouldn't be met with hiccups at the hotel. That was pointless because they couldn't find our info when we arrived anyway, due to their shoddy paper tracking methods. It would be a nice touch IF they could manage it. We told them we could forward it if they gave us the code to their wifi, to which they replied it wasn't working that great at the moment. So here we are, no supporting docs to prove we can stay and no avenue to get them, staring at a man behind the counter giving us no direction on next steps. They did let us stay and we did get the info to them the next day, but it wasn't for major effort on our part, that's for sure.

I felt uncomfortable and unwanted in all the community facilities. The tables in the dining room were usually dirty when you were seated for breakfast. Multiple times I found that our key card didn't work to enter the building, leaving us to call the front desk to buzz us in, only to be greeted by someone who seemed thoroughly annoyed. Icing on the cake: we used their shuttle service to go to the airport when we left. First off, the lady at the counter who gave us the tickets was so rude about it. She treated us like children reminding us if we lost the tickets then we can't use the shuttle and we won't get a refund. Seriously lady? Your outdated paper tickets don't reflect receipt of purchase in the very off chance we lost them? She didn't need worry, we cherished those tickets...our way out of that club. She also told us the shuttle takes 1/2 hr to get to the airport, so obviously she knows nothing about it because it was 11/2 hrs of stopping at other hotels before heading to the airport. I'm glad we planned on getting there extra early, because we probably would have missed our flight otherwise. Never again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cheesewhiz_10
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Although I think you have to be a guest of a member, my husband and I were lucky enough to be invited to share the top floor unit with our friend. This club is right on the Quay, steps away from where the ferry boats dock. From the dining room for breakfast each morning, you have a direct, unobstructed view of Sydney Opera House and Sydney Bridge. What could be better?

The club is like a comfortable old English club with a library on one floor, banquet rooms, a business area with free computer use, and many other details that made you feel at home.

Our top floor unit had a full kitchen, dining room, living room, a main bedroom and a smaller one. It was just perfect - comfy, beautiful and views of the city. We stayed five days and everything about it met our needs.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, they took good care of our rental car in their garage, the staff was accommodating and helpful and this gave us a perfect start to our Australia trip.
I would stay here again if I had the opportunity.

Room Tip: Loved having the extra room and the full kitchen of the top floor unit.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tapestries
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The RAC club is more than 100 years old and You can feel it. It tries its best but its glories are past. Lovely members bar, a fantastic view for breakfast, and from our room, but everything is chipped and tired, the cooked breakfast is extra and the sound insulation when You have a harbour view not exactly good. Staff is helpful, though, and there is a health club, and it is not extremely expensive. But there are better options nearby.If You want a proper Ango-saxon club with Dress Code this is it. But the dress code is rarely enforced. So, to summarize it. An ok stay in a wonderful location, but not a romantic highlight. A stay with an old aunt, generally kindly but showing her age. We had hoped for larger, more romantic rooms and perhaps a few more guests. As of now we almost felt lonely in the huge bar. They have a lovely pool room though.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhodesian
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The club itself is over 100 years and I think the building is probably older. This club has the prime no. spot in Circular Quay, hard up against the Cahill Expressway and trainline. It seems to have very good sound proofing and didn't notice any noise. The building is very well maintained, although it is a bit old fashioned. It is all nicely done but it is very old school not plush 5 star.
However I suspect the rooms are original too and they are definitely not plush. I stayed in a single room which was an OK size - definitely not wide enough to fit a bigger bed. Had very old furniture - not fancy antique - just boring average and old. In OK condition. Old wardrobe, desk, chair, single bed, small bar fridge, TV with 5 analog channels only (geez even the rest of us have caught up with the 16 channels of Freeview - they really need to fix that). There are some single rooms that share a bathroom (4 i think) but I had an ensuite room. The ensuite is very clean, everything worked but really old (1950's?). These single rooms have not view and small opaque glass panels into a light well - no view. So I do not recommend this room if you are after the hotel experience. Only stay here is if you want the amazing location, know a member who can get you in and you are willing to have this olde worlde experience. I believe the Queen/King rooms are large and some have views of Circular Quay/harbour bridge. Room rates include a continental breakfast and for $5 extra they will cook a hot breakfast. The breakfast room is on the top floor of the club in the restaurant. It is all silver and waiters and the view is a knock out, esp on a sunny morning, directly over Circular Quay.
They have a fitness club but I think you have to pay for it: $11. So I decided to go for a jog past the Opera House/Botantic Gardens which was fabulous and the better option anyway. There was no internet in the room. Although the business centre had it. Very understated and professional service. The single room price was very expensive in terms of the quality of the room but you are paying for the location. The Queen / King room prices are starting to be the same as the Sir Stamford cheapest rooms so you have to decide if you want plush or not

Room Tip: pay extra or suck it up
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business