Sydney Central Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hilton Sydney(Sydney)
Hotels.com
$146
$130
  • Room Service
Sheraton on the Park, Sydney(Sydney)
$201
$268
$208
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsclean bedhot watercentral stationsmall kitchenperfect locationbunkstovereceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hostel shopping is quite the ordeal in Sydney, and as for this one well it will get the job done. Staff are friendly and willing to help which is awesome. Facilities are pretty good, shower (huge!) and bathroom (tiny) on each floor. Rooms were a good size. Private room,Thin walls, you get a fridge which is handy cause there's no fridge in the communal kitchen. Kitchen is well equipped but majorly crowded and tight to work in. Their roof top bbq area is pretty good. Fair size, you can see the Opera house from it. Location was good (for us, but we like walking) it's a 40 min walk to Sydney Fish Market, 30 to George Street, and 20 to the Opera House. This Hostel well have what you need but it's nothing special. Average.

Room Tip: We were in Private Room 14.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Close to central, very extensive transport network. Around the hostel, you could explore the CBD area of Sydney, also stone away from China Town, heaps of yummy Chinese food, my favorite!

I recommend this hostel to those travellers who wants the perfect location!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jin N
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Rooms were clean and on good condition. Wasn't bothered with any noise-stayed on same level as pool (can't remember what number level!) but was quiet.

Cafe downstairs do a damn good brekkie too.

Only reason 5 stars wasn't given for everything was that we requested two rooms next to each other and this wasn't listened to so one room was a disabled one when it didn't need to be and had a shower that serviced the whole bathroom!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank samb92
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Good location for the places I wanted to explore - Chinatown, Darling Harbour, Fish Market - walkable distance and the trams stop closeby. Central train station is about 200 metres away if you wanted to explore further afield. Lots of restaurants and small convenience shops at your doorstep. I only needed a room and shower for two nights as I am out all day. Booked through Qantas and paid $65 a night for a reasonably sized room with 2 medium size beds, one on top of the other (Room 104). I've had similar size room in a 4-star hotel. Comfortable size for 2 people. This was a corner room on the second floor with window views to 2 different streets. It was a carpeted, clean room, but had some peeling paint and a curtain tied to the curtain rail. A small fridge, large clothes cupboard (1 hanger) with 2 drawers and a shelving unit were present. There was an old medium size TV with poor reception and sound eventhough it was connect to an outside aerial. A standing fan was also available and enough power sockets at different ends of the room. I was pleasantly surprised that a large clean towel and soap were provided, and thankful as I forgot to bring a towel along.
After booking and paid up front, I received an email from 'Thomas' welcoming me to the hostel. I tried to reply to thank him and to say that I will be checking in late in the evening, but my email was 'undeliverable'. Similarly, after my stay, I rececieved a thank you email and asked for comments/suggestions but it was 'undeliverable' again. I had looked at the web site to view the hotel and although the building looked similar to what was shown on the website, the actual ground floor was the Chamberlain Hotel pub. This totally confused me and took me a little while to find that the hotel entrace was a narrow doorway next to the pub on Pitt Street side of the building. Receptionists were only present between 8am and 11pm. Entry into the hostel and rooms was by electronic card. Mine didn't work each of the 2 mornings and I had to tripse downstrais to have it reactivated. So don't leave your room without the card as the door closes shut on its own and without being decently attired! If you needed to speak to someone after 11pm, you will be charged $20! There is a refundable deposit of $10 for the key. I had no problems with the booking or check-in. I met 3 receptionists who were all working foreign visitors. They were pleasant to talk to and helpful.
There were 3 individual bathrooms with toilets and showers on my level. They were reasonably clean. One of the showers was constantly leaking low volume of water (much, much more than a drip) and on talking to the receptionist, it had been reported a week ago but had yet to be fixed. Maybe the owner did not realsie the extent of the leak. This was ironic as there was a sign in the shower advising users to save water. The kitchen was reasonably clean and there was a hot water cistern. I didn't use or check out the other facilities. Wireless WiFi was offered at $2 a day and the TV in the lounge was working each time I passed by.
I spent a rather uncomfortable first night as it was winter and the bed had no blankets and I didn't realise that one of the windows was ajar. I woke in the middle of the night with banging noises. I asked for a blanket the next morning and was given one at no charge. I would have thought that as it was winter, a blanket would be on the bed. I was woken up at 3.30am the second night by screaming females in the streets, otherwise the noise from the traffic or music from the pub downstairs were minimal.
Check out is at 10am and the cleaners were knocking at your door to turf you out. Luggage can be left at no extra charge behind the reception area (perhaps not that secure).

Room Tip: There are no lifts so ask for a room on the first or second floor if you have heavy luggage or difficulty climbing stairs. I think all rooms look out on to the streets.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Peter C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We only needed somewhere to sleep the night so opted for a hostel, 4 beds per dorm. Sounded like a plan. The website states free pick up from the airport, ha only if you stay more than one night. So we ended up wasting over an hour at the airport waiting for a pick up that didnt come. We get there eventually pay our money get our key and cant get into our room. Back down the stairs, new key we then get into our room, top bunks. There is a guy snoring in one bottom bunk, and has all his gear all over the room. The lockers dont work cant lock them which is a worry staying at a backpackers. Thats ok we lock our stuff up in my suitcase. We spent the rest of the day exploring the city having a drink and some dinner. Back to the hostel, have a shower in a very disgusting bathroom, no toilet paper. We decide its bed time so off we go, well Mr Snorer comes in and out of the room for most of the night. The other tenant plays with her locker all night and her phone continually goes off. A good nights sleep we think not. Dont do it, pay the extra bucks and get a decent room. Never again. This is the worst place I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple