“Not bad”

Ranked #16 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Not bad”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room for my aunt and uncle not knowing it was a pub! Was a bit worried when I realised but it was actually not too noisy in the room! It had double glassed windows I think...I did like the furniture and it was really all they needed for the 2 nights they stayed. They felt safe having a separate entrance and a fancy key you just place on a button, even if you want to use the elevator. I thought it was a bit overpriced considering it being a pub but the location is undeniably great, the room was nice and clean and accommodation in Australia is just more expensive than in Europe or Asia!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Purple523

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We ended up leaving and having to find another hotel to stay in. We didn't get our money back but it was worth it.

I thought we'd picked a nice hotel to stay in for a couple of days in Sydney after reading all the lovely reviews on this site and looking up the hotel in Google images. My first clue that something was wrong was that we were told to check in up at the bar. My second clue was the fact that they charged you the full amount up front.

We got up to the room and needless to say it didn't look much like the pictures we'd seen on the website. The room was tiny. The window looked out on the emergency stairwell and an opposite wall two feet away so it was dark. The bed moved with the slightest touch. All in all it was incredibly gloomy and drab. At best you can say it's better than a hostel because at least you have a bathroom to yourself. At worst you would say that we felt uncomfortable in the room and would only have viewed it as a bed to crash on before leaving as quickly as possible in the morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Liz O

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed 2 nights and found the location so close to the train station absolutely wonderful. Although it is a very old hotel, our high ceiling spacious room with ensuite was comfortable and spotless. The staff were helpful and friendly. We felt safe as outsiders had no access to the rooms. Even though we were above the street it was quiet at night. Our meal at the Bistro downstairs was disappointing. Just up the road the 7/11 cafe has great self serve take away coffee @ $2!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Royal Exhibition twice this year and it has been perfect for my needs both times. It is not a traditional hotel or an upscale hotel if that is your need, but it is clean and welcoming and had a comfortable attractive room for a reasonably priced hotel. It is composed of two stories of rooms above a pub. You check in at the pub and after that you enter with your key from a side entrance. You do have to remember that this is an older building, not glamorous and because it is not a typical hotel, there is not a concierge waiting to answer your calls and such, but the pub staff who register you were very friendly and helpful when the pub was open and staffed.

On the first trip I was travelling alone as a first time international traveler. The location, directly across from the Sydney Central train station was SO easy and felt safe for someone who had never been to Sydney.The neighborhood felt safe and had both nearby coffee stands and restaurants within the blocks surrounding the hotel that were good for a bite to eat. The café in the pub had reasonably priced meals that I found really good. The owner was very helpful with my reservation, very welcoming and really helped me out with luggage storage during the side trips I took.

I returned about 9 months later with my husband on an anniversary trip. We had booked somewhere more upscale, but the area seemed noisy and touristy and though closer to the Quay it was less convenient than being right at Central so we changed our reservation to the Royal Exhibition. We found it easy to return for a midday rest/regroup each day before heading out for our night time activities which was great since my husband was recovering from surgery and didn't have the stamina for walking all day he would have liked.My husband was equally charmed by the sense that it was more like being comfortably "home". The room was more recently upgraded which was nice and had everything we needed. Though above an active pub, it was quiet and the neighborhood was clean and quiet in the mornings, populated by locals heading to the train for work.

We will definitely stay here again when we are back in Sydney.

Room Tip: I don't know if the rooms were upgraded during the 9 mos between my trips but the second room wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank debrajeanne38
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our second stay here.
Great location for buses and trains just across the road from the side entrance to Central Station.
Room was smaller this time but better spec.
Friendly staff. We arrived early in the morning and they recommended where to have breakfast and made sure our room was services first so we could occupy it as soon as possible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteveMG
Fort William, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Royal Exhibition was our first stop on a trip to Australia and New Zealand. It proved a sound choice due to its central location and friendly and attentive management and staff. While the rooms could do with some upgrading we had no complaints regarding the cleanliness and comfort. We were aware when we booked that there was a pub incorporated in the hotel. However this did not disturb us in our room and indeed it provided us with an ideal end to each night. Thanks again for a welcoming start to our trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redsgothenburg
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel has everything you need for a weekend trip to Sydney... Location, Location and Location. From the Airport it just takes a quick trip in the train to Central Station followed by a 5 minute stroll to the Royal Exhibition Hotel and you will be sitting back blowing the froth of a cold one while other passengers on your flight are still negotiating traffic and the $50 cab fare.
Yes, it is only a 3 star hotel however the rooms are clean and spacious, the staff are friendly and helpful the food is hot (when required) and the beer is cold and to top this off Sydney is at the doorstep.
The only problem I have writing this review is that I will have trouble getting a room here ,m
next time.
To the Management and Staff I congratulate you on a job well done.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple