“Best approach to any new city!”

I'm Free Walking Tours
Ranked #2 of 342 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover Sydney, on a Free Tour at 10:30am and 2:30pm everyday. Join your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide as we reveal the history, stories and secrets of Sydney. This 3 hour easy walking tour meets everyday at the anchor in Town Hall Square beside the Sydney Town Hall building. Rain, hail or shine, no booking needed, just show up and there will be a guide in a bright green T-shirt to show you around. Or join us at 6pm each evening for a one and a half hour exploration of The Rocks our most historical district, starting from the water side of Cadmans Cottage. How are we Free? We work on a tips only basis, so everyone can enjoy Sydney as much as we do, whatever your budget.
Helsinki
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best approach to any new city!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I've made a habit of taking a Free Walking Tour in every new city I visit. They're almost without exceptions more entertaining and informative than any paid tours.
The Sydney tour was a little different for me, because I've already lived here for six months and attended other tours of the city. Yet, I'm Free Walking Tour did not disappoint! It covered all the main sights and included just the right amount of actual local history as well as humorous anecdotes! Sydney is also an ideal city to approach on foot, being compact and flat enough to provide good accessibility without unnecessary strain!

Highly recommended for anyone visiting the city!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Big Pine Key, Florida
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Great 1st day activity”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

They weren't kidding when they said they did tours in good and bad weather. I arrived in Sydney and the weather was pretty bad but I did the 2:30 tour with Ramsey in the rain and wind. I still enjoyed myself and this tour gave me a good idea of where places were so that I could come back to them in my coming days in Sydney. I liked the tour so much that I stayed on for the Rocks tour at 6. Both tour were really informative and the stories that Ramsey gave of the city were really interesting. Be reading to walk but I think it is the best way to see Sydney.

1 Thank 8Nikki8
Chicago
162 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“TOPs in ratings for a reason. The BEST!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Having fallen this accidentally, I thought. Free? How good could it be?
The best introduction to the city imaginable. So do not hesitate, it truly is free and you pay what you believe it was worth then.
Priceless.

Colorado
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Covered the sights top to bottom with snack/bathroom breaks!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Goodness, I love walking tours! Definitely do this tour on your first or second day in Sydney because it does focus on the highlights, but it takes you to some quirky little spots you wouldn't find on your own as well. And I loved that it stopped at just the right spot for you to grab a quick snack and use the toilet because three hours is a long time! Perfect morning!

Visited January 2014
United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Not the best city tour we've ever had, but adequate for Sydney”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Our tour guide (not one of the owners) was enthusiastic, but lacking detailed knowledge of many of the spots we were visiting. We heared "I don't know" or "I'm not really sure" in way too many explanations. Compared to walking tours in other cities, such as Paris and London, this pales significantly (30 minutes into this tour I was so wishing for a blue badge guide). I was originally going to give this tour a lower rating (we barely hung in there and finished it), but after a few more days in Sydney learned that with the city's short history this is the status quo for the information that guides know. One plus is the "name your own price" system, since it's tip based, although at times I was wondering if the tour was even worth the time.

2 Thank julp29
Imfreetours, Owner at I'm Free Walking Tours, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Hi,

I'm really sorry you didn't have a positive experience on the tour. In this case the guide was in her first week and she repeatedly got the same question about why flags in the city were at half mast. She found the information (state funeral for the Honourable Arthur Thomas Gietzelt AO) when she had a spare moment at the break and told the people who had asked individually. We have instructed her to pass this on to the whole group in the future.

Our local guides go through an long training process and do not guide until we feel they are ready. That said nothing is better than real experience and performing in front of a crowd can be quite daunting at first especially when you come across a question that even for our most experienced guides is difficult.

Cheers,