“One of the best things about Sydney”

I'm Free Walking Tours
Ranked #2 of 339 Tours in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Discover Sydney, on a Free Tour at 10:30am and 2:30pm everyday. Join your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide as we reveal the history, stories and secrets of Sydney. This 3 hour easy walking tour meets everyday at the anchor in Town Hall Square beside the Sydney Town Hall building. Rain, hail or shine, no booking needed, just show up and there will be a guide in a bright green T-shirt to show you around. Or join us at 6pm each evening for a one and a half hour exploration of The Rocks our most historical district, starting from the water side of Cadmans Cottage. How are we Free? We work on a tips only basis, so everyone can enjoy Sydney as much as we do, whatever your budget.
Belper, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of the best things about Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We did both the Rock 1.5hr tour and the Sydney 3hr tour. Both were fantastic- we leant a lot about the history of Sydney while also being told about little extras you would never find out if you went on a regular tour. One particularly interesting part of the Sydney tour was when our tour-lady (Justine) took us down some of the backstreets were we looked at bird cages to do with Sydney's convict history- we would of never found that on our own!
The maps that we were given were very informative and meant we didn't have to buy one of the regular maps. This one even had tips for cheap things to do/places to eat in Sydney, as it isn't a cheap round there.
Justine came round and talked to all of us individually, making sure that if we had any questions she did her best to answer them. Everything was very well organised. It didn't feel like we were being lectured and was just the right length. Wear sensible shoes and take a bottle of water, you do cover quite a lot of ground!
A definite must and even meant we didn't feel we had to do one of the Bus Tours as she covered everything. The fact that it was based on tips made it even better!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went on both the 3 hour general tour and the rocks 1.5 hour tour, both were well run and certainly worth it. I enjoyed the rocks tour a little more given it felt a little more informal (the general tour felt very scripted but then it's probably hard to come up with something new every day twice a day).

1 Thank Sharnep
Columbus, Ohio
“Very interesting!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

You must do that tour. The guide (in our case the girl) was very knowledgeable of history of Sydney and Australia. She knew all the facts that you would not find in any guide book (and I read few before heading to Sydney). I was intrigued by some of the stories and I had to come back to few places the guide mentioned to see for myself. The tour is worth your time and don’t be cheap on leaving the tip!!!

Johannesburg, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great tour of Sydney”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I really think the I'm free tours are worthwhile to do when you are in Sydney. They are informative, helps you get orientated quickly and best of all, they are free. They do ask you for tips at the end, so if you are happy with the tour, you are free to give some money, whatever amount, to the tour guide. After all, they did spend 3 hours of their time with you.

The guide was quite well organised. There was a map available and the meeting point was town hall which was close to QVB. There are actually two guided tour available from the I'm free tour. One that will show you the whole of Sydney excluding details of the Rocks and another separate tour of the Rocks. I did both and this review will cover both.

The one of Sydney was great. As we walked, the guide explained interesting facts about the city, such as the reason why the words "Eternity" was so prominent to Sydneysiders and the Memorial they have for Birds in Sydney comprising of empty bird cages hanging in the air in Angel's Place. The guided tour also comes with a map so one can easily get orientated or re-visit certain sites.

The guided tour had a lot of detailed historical facts, such as the specific dates on which certain events happen. I do not think this would interest a typical ordinary tourist and none of us are historians so I would recommend the tour to tone down on the historical facts a bit. By doing so, one might even be able to complete the tour in less than its lengthy 3 hours journey time.

I really enjoyed the tour of Sydney and what better way to enjoy the tour than with a local guide to show you all the best spots of the city.

As mentioned, I had also joined the tour of the Rocks. The tour was 1.5 hours long and we met at an old house close to the Museum of Contemporary Arts on the other side of the Sydney Opera House. I think this starting point might be hard for tourist to find but never fear, there is a green shirt with the I'm Free tours logo on it so just look out for one of their representatives.

The tour started by explaining the history of the Rocks, which was really informative. The guide will take you along alleyways which was once used by the Sydney Push and the Hero of Waterloo which a long time ago, welcome sailors through its doors, got them drunk and then sold them as slaves to work on ships.

I had found the information given was also slightly too historic at times which might not be what the average tourist is looking for, and one should tone down on the historical facts. However, there were also times in the tour where the guide told us stories and I wonder whether, plainly put, the stories were true or not. For example, at one point in the tour, there as a story that the guide told about a Australian from a few centuries back who got too drunk one night, passed out on the street and the next morning, a pig had bitten off his nose. I do wonder sometimes where they keep records of stories like that lol.

I think everyone who visits Sydney should complete this tour. This is a great tour to get orientated, and I fully recommend it to anyone!!

1 Thank Simon1123
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Best history and architecture lesson of Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Our tour guide Ross was really nice, humorous and friendly. I'm still in awe of how much he knows of the places and buildings in Sydney. At first, a 3h walk seems daunting but there were stops in between and hence, it wasn't as tired as we expected. The tour mostly goes around the CBD area of Sydney. Don't forget to join the The Rocks tour in the evening/night. The tour at night was fun! We went up and down the slopes, meandered through the backyard alleys and Ross told us a lot about the history of those famous pubs in Sydney. A tour not to be missed!

1 Thank happysingaporean123